My cham won't eat anything but hornworms

She hasn't been eating crickets or meal worms, she has only eaten horn worms since 4 days ago that's all she wants and I know that they are meant to be as an occasional treat but she wont accept anything else except some ants rarely 0.
  • Veiled chameleon, female, 6-9 months, he has been in my care for about 4 months
  • barley even handle her like once a month
  • 6-8 crickets, sometimes 1-2 super worms? Around 3 o clock, I feed them cricket vitamins pellets, then I rub them in calcium dust once a week.
  • repashy superfood superload once a week
  • I use a spray bottle and mist 4-6 times a day and drop some water on his branches. I don't always see her drinking
  • White sacks and brown pieces of poop, never got him tested
  • he moves very fast

Cage Info:
  • screen not sure on measurements
  • Keep main light on for 7 hours then leave the UVB light on for the remainder of the day until the evening lights out at 8 pm til 8 am
  • he does have a basking spot and it is around 29-36 degrees At night it becomes 25-27 degrees
  • I leave the heater on and leave water droplets to increase the humidity
  • I use artificial plants
  • No not located near anywhere near fans or the others. It is elevated about 1 meter off the ground.
  • B.C.
IMG_9381.JPG

She hasn't been eating crickets or meal worms, she has only eaten horn worms since 4 days ago that's all she wants and I know that they are meant to be as an occasional treat but she wont accept anything else except some ants rarely 0.
  • Veiled chameleon, female, 6-9 months, he has been in my care for about 4 months
  • 6-8 crickets, sometimes 1-2 super worms? Around 3 o clock, I feed them cricket vitamins pellets, then I rub them in calcium dust once a week.
  • I use a spray bottle and mist 4-6 times a day and drop some water on his branches. I don't always see her drinking
  • he moves very fast

Cage Info:
  • Keep main light on for 7 hours then leave the UVB light on for the remainder of the day until the evening lights out at 8 pm til 8 am
  • he does have a basking spot and it is around 29-36 degrees At night it becomes 25-27 degrees
  • No not located near anywhere near fans or the others. It is elevated about 1 meter off the ground.
  • B.C.
View attachment 218028
We went over your husbandry in another thread, so if you could link it so no one repeats themselves, tha’d be great! What do you mean ants? Don’t feed HER (she’s a girl) for a couple of days then offer crickets. Do you have a lay bin?

no she didn't eat at all and kept falling now she hasn't fell down since that day and I offered her 2 horn worms on separate days and she ate them instantly. But she doesn't take crickets or mealworms and there is no signs of her wanting to lay eggs.

no she didn't eat at all and kept falling now she hasn't fell down since that day and I offered her 2 horn worms on separate days and she ate them instantly. But she doesn't take crickets or mealworms and there is no signs of her wanting to lay eggs.
That doesn’t mean there isn’t anything wrong with her.
  • he moves very fast

Cage Info:
  • B.C.
View attachment 218028
Feed only in the morning and use superworms only on occasion. Add in other feeders, like roaches, black soldier flies and larvae, and blue bottle flies, etc. Every feeder should be gutloaded. The Repashy Superload is a gutload, not a supplement. Turn the Superload into a paste with water and feed that to your feeders. Get Repashy Calcium Plus LoD and use it right before every feeding to dust your feeders (put in container and shake around until covered in supplement). Get a timer and make the uvb and basking on together for 12 hours then have 12 hours of complete darkness. Basking should be 29*C. Chams need a temp drop at night, no nighttime heat source is needed unless it goes beneath like 15*C. Humidity should be between 40-70%. Room temperature water should be used, not hot water. Get a live plant, it’ll help with humidity, and veileds eat plants. Make sure it’s cham safe. Females need minimum of 45 cm by 45 cm by 90 cm tall cage (use a 5.0 or 6% linear uvb), but preferably a 60 cm by 60 cm by 120 cm tall cage (use a 10.0 linear uvb). Could you post a pic of her cage, please? Keep the lay bin in, then you don’t have to worry about it later on

Try feeding roaches! (Dubai, orange/ivory head, etc.) Also, mealworms are no good.. try staying away from them. A nice treat could be super worms or wax worms.

Good luck!

That doesn’t mean there isn’t anything wrong with her.

Feed only in the morning and use superworms only on occasion. Add in other feeders, like roaches, black soldier flies and larvae, and blue bottle flies, etc. Every feeder should be gutloaded. The Repashy Superload is a gutload, not a supplement. Turn the Superload into a paste with water and feed that to your feeders. Get Repashy Calcium Plus LoD and use it right before every feeding to dust your feeders (put in container and shake around until covered in supplement). Get a timer and make the uvb and basking on together for 12 hours then have 12 hours of complete darkness. Basking should be 29*C. Chams need a temp drop at night, no nighttime heat source is needed unless it goes beneath like 15*C. Humidity should be between 40-70%. Room temperature water should be used, not hot water. Get a live plant, it’ll help with humidity, and veileds eat plants. Make sure it’s cham safe. Females need minimum of 45 cm by 45 cm by 90 cm tall cage (use a 5.0 or 6% linear uvb), but preferably a 60 cm by 60 cm by 120 cm tall cage (use a 10.0 linear uvb). Could you post a pic of her cage, please? Keep the lay bin in, then you don’t have to worry about it later on[/QUOTE

thanks for the help I will do my best to follow the advice. I'll post a pic a little later.

Try feeding roaches! (Dubai, orange/ivory head, etc.) Also, mealworms are no good.. try staying away from them. A nice treat could be super worms or wax worms.

Good luck!

just incase you didn't know waxworms are full of fat don't feed them often, try silk worms they are a great alternative and super healthy

silkies, roaches and BSF/BSFL are great for her to try and an amazing source of nutrients for chams

Silkworms and roaches are extremely healthy, along with black soldier flies and larvae, which are also rich in calcium. Hornworms are great for hydration, but like with waxworms, superworms, and butterworms, should only be fed occasionally, or else your cham can get hooked!

Back
Top Bottom