My cham is scratching his feet and occasionally his tummy on whatever he can find

Lichisor

He's been scratching his feet mostly and I've heard something that sounded like a sneeze. We have just cleaned up his terrarium this morning and added a few more sticks for verticality. Other than that he seems calm and happy, his colors are normal, but the scratching worries me.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Veiled (Yemen) Male Chameleon, two months old. I've had it for 1 month. (i've just had a conversation on another thread and it might be an older female, God knows...)
Handling - He is rather friendly, likes coming out of the terrarium once every couple days
Feeding - crickets and locusts, alternatively. As many as he wants generally
Supplements - We were advised to dust crickets daily with nutrobal calcium and multivitamin powder. Will get repashy in the near future.
Watering - We usually mist the terrarium three times a day. We do it until there is plenty of water dripping from leaves for him to drink. For at least a minute. ( generally humidity is 40-60)
Fecal Description - Darkish brown, normal consistency, has not been tested for parasytes.
History - None that we know of..

Cage Info:
Cage Type - 61hx61wx45d (centimetres) glass (exoterra)
Lighting - basking - 45w ; -uv - ExoTerra UVB 200; The cage is lit from 8AM to 8 PM
Temperature - The basking spot reaches 90 F , lower areas reach 80 F. The lowest temp overnight is 75 F
Humidity - We have been advised to mist the terrarium regularly, so we do it 3 times a day. Humidity is regularly between 40 and 60
Plants - No live plants
Placement - It's by a window, about 1.5m from the floor level.
Location - United Kingdom

I didn't read the care info, but others will I'm sure. Can you post a photo of its enclosure?

The scratching may just be the start of a shed. My guy is getting very creative right now on how to scratch his belly and feet, as he is just starting to shed in those areas. Also I have heard my babies make an occassional peep / noise... but if it happens more than once or twice, ever, there may be a respiratory issue.

Does it sound like a huff? My Cham does it when I open her cage or get close to her, it means they are annoyed

Never mind, Found them, and yes you have an adolescent female veild chameleon. No doubt.
C83E4F4B-6A22-4C9D-AD7E-BE3253FF227F.png
82E4AF3B-B663-4762-86F5-2D2E0AE07F33.png

Does it sound like a huff? My Cham does it when I open her cage or get close to her, it means they are annoyed
Nah, mine's super friendly and seems to like me a lot, never got annoyed at me. It sounded like a little sneeze, while she was walking on my arm. Girlfriend said she'd heard it once as well

Nah, mine's super friendly and seems to like me a lot, never got annoyed at me. It sounded like a little sneeze, while she was walking on my arm. Girlfriend said she'd heard it once as well

My adults do this on occasion, I think as a sort of message to me. Not sure what it means! But Donnie and Charlie in particular will do it when they want to come out and I offer my arm. I interpret it as “FINALLY! :rolleyes:

Maybe thats what you are noticing? If you hear it often when he is just breathing normally, or a wet or popping sound, wheezing, or if he often has his mouth open ... thats another story. I guess my point is that my chams make occasional noises that seem like emotional or territorial displays and are not of oncern to me.

Please post a pic of enclosure.

Are you dusting with MV daily? If so what is your supplement? As some should be used daily while others are once a month!

How long do you mist? By hand? And what area donyou live in?

My adults do this on occasion, I think as a sort of message to me. Not sure what it means! But Donnie and Charlie in particular will do it when they want to come out and I offer my arm. I interpret it as “FINALLY! :rolleyes:

Maybe thats what you are noticing? If you hear it often when he is just breathing normally, or a wet or popping sound, wheezing, or if he often has his mouth open ... thats another story. I guess my point is that my chams make occasional noises that seem like emotional or territorial displays and are not of oncern to me.

My girl does this too--it happens when I stand by the bug table too long or if I'm cleaning the enclosure and she wants to crawl around on me.

Please post a pic of enclosure.

Are you dusting with MV daily? If so what is your supplement? As some should be used daily while others are once a month!

How long do you mist? By hand? And what area donyou live in?
I did dust once every couple days initially as I was told to do it by the pet shop staff, now I do it every 3-4 days until I get the one suggested here. I mist 2-3 times a day, until she's had plenty to drink , generally for about a minute (hand mister). I live in Ipswich, Suffolk. I'll post pics of the enclosure tomorrow as she's sleeping right now

Back
Top Bottom