My cham is scratching his feet and occasionally his tummy on whatever he can find

Lichisor

He's been scratching his feet mostly and I've heard something that sounded like a sneeze. We have just cleaned up his terrarium this morning and added a few more sticks for verticality. Other than that he seems calm and happy, his colors are normal, but the scratching worries me.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Veiled (Yemen) Male Chameleon, two months old. I've had it for 1 month. (i've just had a conversation on another thread and it might be an older female, God knows...)
Handling - He is rather friendly, likes coming out of the terrarium once every couple days
Feeding - crickets and locusts, alternatively. As many as he wants generally
Supplements - We were advised to dust crickets daily with nutrobal calcium and multivitamin powder. Will get repashy in the near future.
Watering - We usually mist the terrarium three times a day. We do it until there is plenty of water dripping from leaves for him to drink. For at least a minute. ( generally humidity is 40-60)
Fecal Description - Darkish brown, normal consistency, has not been tested for parasytes.
History - None that we know of..

Cage Info:
Cage Type - 61hx61wx45d (centimetres) glass (exoterra)
Lighting - basking - 45w ; -uv - ExoTerra UVB 200; The cage is lit from 8AM to 8 PM
Temperature - The basking spot reaches 90 F , lower areas reach 80 F. The lowest temp overnight is 75 F
Humidity - We have been advised to mist the terrarium regularly, so we do it 3 times a day. Humidity is regularly between 40 and 60
Plants - No live plants
Placement - It's by a window, about 1.5m from the floor level.
Location - United Kingdom

snitz427

Chameleon Enthusiast
I didn't read the care info, but others will I'm sure. Can you post a photo of its enclosure?

The scratching may just be the start of a shed. My guy is getting very creative right now on how to scratch his belly and feet, as he is just starting to shed in those areas. Also I have heard my babies make an occassional peep / noise... but if it happens more than once or twice, ever, there may be a respiratory issue.

The Wild One

Chameleon Enthusiast
Does it sound like a huff? My Cham does it when I open her cage or get close to her, it means they are annoyed

Brodybreaux25

Chameleon Enthusiast
Never mind, Found them, and yes you have an adolescent female veild chameleon. No doubt.
C83E4F4B-6A22-4C9D-AD7E-BE3253FF227F.png
82E4AF3B-B663-4762-86F5-2D2E0AE07F33.png

Lichisor

Does it sound like a huff? My Cham does it when I open her cage or get close to her, it means they are annoyed
Nah, mine's super friendly and seems to like me a lot, never got annoyed at me. It sounded like a little sneeze, while she was walking on my arm. Girlfriend said she'd heard it once as well

snitz427

Chameleon Enthusiast
Nah, mine's super friendly and seems to like me a lot, never got annoyed at me. It sounded like a little sneeze, while she was walking on my arm. Girlfriend said she'd heard it once as well

My adults do this on occasion, I think as a sort of message to me. Not sure what it means! But Donnie and Charlie in particular will do it when they want to come out and I offer my arm. I interpret it as “FINALLY! :rolleyes:

Maybe thats what you are noticing? If you hear it often when he is just breathing normally, or a wet or popping sound, wheezing, or if he often has his mouth open ... thats another story. I guess my point is that my chams make occasional noises that seem like emotional or territorial displays and are not of oncern to me.

snitz427

Chameleon Enthusiast
Please post a pic of enclosure.

Are you dusting with MV daily? If so what is your supplement? As some should be used daily while others are once a month!

How long do you mist? By hand? And what area donyou live in?

AnamCara

Chameleon Enthusiast
My adults do this on occasion, I think as a sort of message to me. Not sure what it means! But Donnie and Charlie in particular will do it when they want to come out and I offer my arm. I interpret it as “FINALLY! :rolleyes:

Maybe thats what you are noticing? If you hear it often when he is just breathing normally, or a wet or popping sound, wheezing, or if he often has his mouth open ... thats another story. I guess my point is that my chams make occasional noises that seem like emotional or territorial displays and are not of oncern to me.

My girl does this too--it happens when I stand by the bug table too long or if I'm cleaning the enclosure and she wants to crawl around on me.

Lichisor

Please post a pic of enclosure.

Are you dusting with MV daily? If so what is your supplement? As some should be used daily while others are once a month!

How long do you mist? By hand? And what area donyou live in?
I did dust once every couple days initially as I was told to do it by the pet shop staff, now I do it every 3-4 days until I get the one suggested here. I mist 2-3 times a day, until she's had plenty to drink , generally for about a minute (hand mister). I live in Ipswich, Suffolk. I'll post pics of the enclosure tomorrow as she's sleeping right now

Top Bottom