My Cham died and I'm devastated

theresaintucson

One of my favorite chams, my sweet Nosy Be, died this morning in my hands. I found him at the bottom of his cage.
I noticed he had no appetite for a few days, but I made sure he was hydrated. I took him to my rept vet yesterday and she said he was slightly dehydrated. She took the poop sample i brought in to be tested. I was given Panacure to treat him with, starting the following day (today).
He was injected at the vet to get him hydrated.
I've done my husbandry according to the recommendations here on the forum, but my boy died. He was about 5 months old. My sweetest panther cham.
I am devastated as I write this, i haven't cried like this in years. What did I do wrong? What could I have done better?

im sorry for your loss ive just recently lost my chameleon too he was a bearded pygmy chameleon he just started to recently not be as active, being limp, and sleeping where ever he stood. the next morning i woke up and he was dead on the floor of his enclosure. i know what your feeling im sorry for your loss.

I am so sorry to hear that you lost your chameleon. The sad part is you most likely did nothing wrong. Sometimes, just like people they simply die. I doesn't make it any easier for us, but it can happen. Just be happy for him having a good like while in your care.

Dont blame yourself saint,
its likely there was nothing you did wrong, or could do about it. The vet obviously detected the presence of parasites, or assumed it likely due the loss of appetite , but its possible something else was wrong, perhaps an infection that spread into his blood.
Reptiles seldom show obvious symptoms of illness until the problem is quite advanced,
by which time, sadly, it can sometimes be too late.
I feel for you mate, the thought of mine limp and lifeless is just horrible indeed.
Everyone here can empathise with your sadness. :(

Back
Top Bottom