My Carpet's + Stuff

Regardless of her color at this point she will almost certainly be gravid soon if she is not at this moment...from retained sperm. I can't think of a time when a WC female lat didn't at least become pregnant soon after getting her if she wasn't already when she arrived.
Kevin

Not sure if I should say cool or crap... LoL! :rolleyes:
Guess I better brush up on the breeding section of your care sheet...
Ya take a peek at the pictures of Roo?

The main reason I would like to cup feed is because the cage is so well planted that I am not able to keep a count of bugs inside of it, if I had a cup I could see...

-It has been a good week for the carpet crew… Little Roo had his first shed under my care and he is starting to develop some good coloring. The other Carpet seems to be happy in its new home, zapping up many crickets; tons of house flies and drinking more water than a camel.

-On that note; the house flies are awesome food, the chameleons when nuts over them! However the problem is getting out of the cup and into the cage without letting flies out and into the house. Well, needless to say I did not find an answer to that problem and have spent the week running all over the house trying to bat down the flies with towels; I think I finally got most of them… But they are a fun treat for your chameleons!

-I really think that little Roo is going to turn out to be a Roo-et when its all said and done, I have another girl to compare ‘him’ with now and every time I think about it I think more and more that he is really a she… :p Time will tell though, ill give it a few more weeks before I come to my final conclusion. But I am leaning towards female.

-Also, with Roo I got him(?) some more fruit flies today as a little treat and he went after them like he was starving. I am not sure if he REALLY likes them of if he has been ignoring his crickets. The cricket number in his home seems to shrink everyday however it is possible they escape but not likely… Anybody else’s chameleons zoom after a treat like that are starving or do I need to try some new food. Also, other than silk worms and small crickets and flies what is a common food for very small chameleons? Yes I know you can feed them roaches, however… I am not going to do that, I can deal with buzzing flies and roaming crickets but I draw the like at roaches crawling around my home. :)

-I have started to gather a few tidbits for turning my 50gal aquarium into a terrarium. I am in no rush to do this so I have been trolling E-bay for good deals; I want the back and sides to have cork backing which is proving a PITA to find. Any body have a good cork source?

Chad, I usually buy my cork bark locally. You can order it from Black Jungle or some of the other poison dart frog sites...but it sure does cost! I haven't ever used a roll of compressed cork bark, b/c I like the little caves and niches with the natural stuff (I like to glue tillandsias and other bromiliads into them), but I know Roo (the human one, not your baby!) has used them lots. He surely has a source. Expect to pay, though. I really like it for holding humidity, much better than the expanding foam/peat walls.

One other thing: the natural cork bark is a royal pain to cut!

Ya, I really want to go with the cork wall. I am not in any kind of rush to get it up and going so I will get it all 1 piece at a time. Like you said I just love how it looks and the versatility of it. E-bay has looks to have some good hunks of it that arnt THAT costly… Once I get the cork I will drain the tank and sell the fish stuff. Once that is in the rocks and such are cheap and easy to do.:) And for the cork I have a nice assortment of saws I can take to that, and if that don’t work I have a plasma cutter and if that down work I can take it down to by buddies water jet shop. Ill cut that SOB no matter what :D hehehehe

This has been a fun thread. I got hiccups looking at the pictures. As usual, Chad, great story. :}

Did somebody say pictures? :)

F. carpet eye ball'n me.
DSC00279.jpg

Shoot'n a house fly
DSC00281.jpg

Out getting some good ol real sun
DSC00286.jpg

I just like this pic
DSC00288.jpg

I see you Mr. Fruit fly, soon you shall be poo! :D
DSC00292.jpg

DIEEEEEEE! Em em emmmmmmmmmm
I actaully do like this pic alot, just wish it had a lil more light.
DSC00293.jpg

And another!
DSC00296.jpg

Great pics Chad! I need to get some fruit flies for my Oustalets. I was a bit worried about him not eating, but I think he just does not want me to see him eat. Today I accidentally half smashed a cricket, so I just set it on his vine and he went right over and zapped it. SO-I half smashed another, and then another, and he had a great meal. I hope he does not think I am going to do ALL of his work for him! :) Oh-and Mike had some of the Carpets at the Tampa show from the group your new one is from. They are beautiful, and I would have had one if I had any more room for cages!

Last edited:
They really look happy, Chad. Did I see a type of ivy in there? Thanks for the extra pictures. mmm :) slobber slobber drool........

I left the top off Roo’s lil tank today to help the air flow more and when I came home he was gone! As I started to freek out looking on the ground to make sure he was not on it then as I took a breath and looked at the large cage; lo and behold there was Roo sleeping on the cord that feeds to the UV light. WHEW! Now I have no damn idea how he got out! The only thing that I can think of is that he curled up his tail, fell to the ground and used it as a pogo stick to bounce out of the cage! :D No branches are within reach of the lip so I dono how the heck he got out. Roo the magic chameleon… :p

Also, I am not 80% sure Roo is a girl... D'oh! I guess ill have to change his name :rolleyes:

Rather than take up space in threads that are not mine I’ll post in here!

So, in the end Roo DID turn out to be a boy, after talking on the phone; not by mail with the guy that I got him from he told me that Roo was only a week or two old when he send him to me! I count myself lucky that he has made it this far after being shipped so young!

Ava is doing well, I am rather sure she is gravid again so I expect some eggs here soon-ish, weather or not they will be fertile or not I am not sure. I suppose I should put a laying pot in here cage here soon… Dooly; if you are reading this (or anybody that has worked with carpets) what size of pot to you add to the cage for them to lay in?

So here are the pics of Ava like I said I would take in another thread. She is a very cool cham, hard to get fired up at all! So she gets more colors when she is really ticked off like when I let Roo pay her a visit. :)

The Carpet corner by the leopard tort.
DSC01048.jpg

Her trying to puff up a bit inside her cage.
DSC01050.jpg

A little fired up.
DSC01051.jpg

A little more.
DSC01052.jpg

And some more with a black background.
DSC01053.jpg

Roo wanted to say hello; you can see some of his blue color in here. He is just starting to get mad because I had the camera in his face.
DSC01056.jpg

I am looking forward to the end of summer so I can get some more! I want to get a line on 1 more males and 3 more females to have by the end of the year. I know dooly will have some soon; but other than that I gotta start the hunt and ask for dibs till the 100+ heat is over here in Vegas!

Oh, and don't call me Vegas Chad! ! ! Plane ol Chad is just fine :D

Oh and just for kicks… Here is what a few months in a good home can do for a WC Cham.

Before:
DSC00250.jpg

DSC00254.jpg

After:
DSC01052.jpg

DSC01051.jpg

Nice clean WC carpet... Thanks again Mike.

Thanks Juilers! :)

Roo felt a little left out with Ava getting pictures taken of her and not him so here are some of Roo…

~Roo only a few weeks old!

DSC00163.jpg

142_4249-1.jpg

142_4239-1.jpg

~And Roo now, about 5 months old…

DSC01060.jpg

DSC01062.jpg

DSC01064.jpg

DSC01065.jpg

Wow, Chad, you have done a great job with them! Roo and Ava look like they are in excellent condition. Beautiful chameleons.. :)

Back
Top Bottom