My Cape Dwarf Chameleon

thejoker

Hi Guys..
So I've got this chameleon, it's a bradypodion pumilum, ok yeah I know it's rather tiny but gosh its cute man!!!

So.. I keep him outdoors during the day and bring him in at night.. He does his own hunting for now.. Now if I want him to eat then what do I do?? And what do I get this tiny fella? Any Idea's? Alright, you got me so I didn't do my homework but I'm sure it's not that hard right? hahahaha ok I know its hard to maintain these reptiles but please, I am in need of a little help.

I've attached some images of him below..

the funny thing is that I never bought him.. I found him outside. I stay on the mountains somewhere.. err. haha No I'm not a bum if you thinking that..

I used to see alot of them around back in the days but now apparently they've become endangered species which makes them so rare to find.
thanks again for the helpsheet. will look into it right away.

Cape Dwarf Chameleons are native to the area of Cape Town, South Africa, and since he said he used to see a lot of them around, I'm guessing that's where he is.

yep, Cape Town is where I'm at.
I just fed him 3 waxworms now.. at least he is eating. I'm gana have to try and get him a better diet going though..

You should let him go where you found it. If you are interested in a pet chameleon, purchase a captive bred and figure out chams before you start plucking rare animals from the wild. Also im not sure if South Africans are aloud to collect and keep the native chameleons. Not trying to be rude. Goodluck to you.

These animals never used to be rare until the massive wineries started popping up. Nothing better then destroying the native grass and brushlands to make wine. If the mechanical harvesters don't get them the pesticides used will. Something to think about when enjoying that nice glass of SA wine.

You live in this species home. If you have a nice planted yard find it a mate. Let them do what they do in your yard.

Carl

The Grape Vines did contribute to endangereing this specie. Though its not just the vineyards, you can ask any adult that is older than 40 and they will tell you stories of how they always saw chameleons every day in their gardens. Its sad that you dont find them like that anymore.

However the people who own vineyards are starting to respect the chams and take special precautions not to harm them, and they have done some studies and have found that the populations are fewer but there is still quite a few out there, most being in the bushes near vineyards.
I think the chameleons are thriving near vineyards as I have heard many stories of people seeing the babies near the floor of the vineyards eating fruitflies from the dead fruit on the floor.

You should release this chameleon where you found it. It is illegal in Western Cape Province to capture and keep native chameleons without a permit.

Chris

You may try applying for a permit. Check it out with capenature. They will deny it or accept it. That will determine if your keeping it legaly or illegaly. I actualy want to get permits for these. If you apply for a permit please let me know what happens? I have been told over and over that its impossible. I wonder how transvaalense made it legaly into the U.S....

Back
Top Bottom