My Cage Look Okay?

sammseals

Getting a Panther Chameleon on Tuesday. Trying to make sure everything is ready. The cage is a 20x16x16. Made little holes in the bottom for draining, have a 75 watt blue sun bulb and a 5.0 repisun. monsoon misting system with 2 sprayers in opposite corners. they are going to spray for 30 seconds every 3 hours (turning it off at night). Am i missing anything?

Attachments

• 20121108_221244.jpg
    20121108_221244.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 203
  • 20121108_221146.jpg
    20121108_221146.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 134
  • 20121108_221256.jpg
    20121108_221256.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 147
Hello, welcome to the forum :) Firstly, I think a dripper would be a good idea, just so he has constant access to dripping water if he wants it.
You could do with a few little branches in there so he can climb around easier. Also, live plants are a great way to help with keeping humidity up and they do look better. Here is a useful thread for inspiration - https://www.chameleonforums.com/post-your-cage-pictures-94781/

Looks pretty good I agree some branches and live plants! but that is just my opinion your.cage is very interestingly decorated! very bright

Hello, welcome to the forum :)
You could do with a few little branches in there so he can climb around easier. Also, live plants are a great way to help with keeping humidity up and they do look better. Here is a useful thread for inspiration - https://www.chameleonforums.com/post-your-cage-pictures-94781/

I agree you need some branches or some of those fake vines you can buy at the pet store and live plants would also be useful for humidity. Never seen a enclosure with such bright colors. Be interesting to see how your cham likes them :)

I was going to try without live plants first because im worried im not going to be able to keep them alive. I live in Ohio so the humidity in my house already is 30% without anything on.

Maybe try pothos. They're really hard to kill, are cheap, and will actually help keep the humidity up in the tank. I live in Canada so understand where you're coming from ;)

Thanks. Maybe I will try pothos. Now, if i buy a pothos plant, it said i have to wash its leaves and replant it. What do i wash it with and what soil do i use when i replant it?

Wow, my chams would freak out in that cage LOL! Mine hate bright colors.
That's what I was thinking...
Your cage looks pretty (I love bright colors ;)), but I don't think it's suitable for a chameleon. They don't like bright colors, cause they think it's another (angry) chameleon.

That's the most unique and fun looking enclosure I've ever seen! As everyone has said branches would be great for him to climb on. I'm only a few hours away in Pennsylvania so I hear ya on the DRY air :( come summertime the silk flowers can mold I've found. But if you keep it cleaned and allowed to dry out good each nite you shouldn't have a problem. I look forward to your future posts once your new friend arrives

Hello, welcome to the forum :) Firstly, I think a dripper would be a good idea, just so he has constant access to dripping water if he wants it.

I'd def take David's advice, aswell as filling out the https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/ sheet. Just copy/paste your answers into a new comment so it helps us out. We can give you pointers/double check your set up to make sure everythings perfect :)

Just be sure to be honest with your answers so we can give you as much information as you need. You can always PM me or any other members to ask for help.

Oh, And your enclosure looks so tropical! haha i've never seen one so BRIGHT. :D

Gabe

The cage definitly looks cool, I just think it make take away from how bright you see the chameleon. I mean my chams look so bright on a green tree or branch, he probably wont look as shockingly bright in an enclosure with such intense colors, but it does look cool.

if there is red in it take it out chameleons usually don't like red and like everyone else said branched would make your cham happy

That's what I was thinking...
Your cage looks pretty (I love bright colors ;)), but I don't think it's suitable for a chameleon. They don't like bright colors, cause they think it's another (angry) chameleon.

Agreed. Chameleons rely on their chromataphoric skin cells to physically display their emotions to others. In my opinion, shipping and being introduced to a new environment can be stressful enough for a new baby. If it were me, I would try to make the transition as smoothe as possible by taking a more natural route with cage decor. I also second the dripper idea as well. Thirty seconds isn't enough time for a youngin to hydrate well. Sometimes It takes a couple minutes of misting to even get the response, let alone get enough water. For example, for my 1yr Sambava I fill up his dripper every morning and let it run dry and run my misting for 6 sessions that run for 5 minutes. Good luck, and feel free to PM me if you need anything:D

That bright tropical decor would work really well for a fish or hermit crabs, but I don't really see a lot that would be beneficial for a chameleon... not only the bright colors (which the cham may dislike), but the functionality in general. It honestly looks extremely similar to the tank I had my ADFs in (it now holds a single female betta)... very fun and colorful.

That's the most unique and fun looking enclosure I've ever seen! As everyone has said branches would be great for him to climb on. I'm only a few hours away in Pennsylvania so I hear ya on the DRY air :( come summertime the silk flowers can mold I've found. But if you keep it cleaned and allowed to dry out good each nite you shouldn't have a problem. I look forward to your future posts once your new friend arrives

Pittsburgh here m8 ;)

Yes I would definatelly grab at least a live plant. Live plants are not only good for humans ya know!
The cage looks great, but should have some branches for him to bask on. The colors are crazy so make sure your cham doesn't stress out too easily!

Thanks for all the replies. I put 3 live plants in the cage now. i got a dragon tree, peperomia, and an echeveria. He hasn't seemed stressed from the colors. I am worried about the humidity though. I've been misting every 2 hours and the humity stays around 20-40 %

Back
Top Bottom