My Brev is Digging to Lay

Woodinville

Hi all....
a few questions for the experienced out there..... My first gravid female brev, who is huge, is now digging a hole as I type. I live in Seattle, and keep my house around 68 degrees, although it can fall to lower 60's at night. Just wondering what the consensus is for Brev owners: putting clutches in incubators vs. just keeping them in vermiculite at room temp?
All input from those who have been there would be greatly appreciated :)
Thanks!
Tim

I keep mine in a deli cup with vermiculite.

Your house temps do seem pretty low though for pygmy eggs. I could be wrong

I have my eggs cooking over (UK) here at room temp (63-70F) in vermiculite, no incubator. I know loads of people over here that just let the eggs incubate at room temperature in a container with vermiculite. no problems at all. I would just get the eggs out when you get the chance, put them in some vermiculite in a container and then count down until they hatch!

good luck!:D

Mine laid her eggs way, way in the back of the cage where I would have had to strip the whole thing down to get at them, so I left them in place and they hatched out fine (same temperature regime as the adults, i.e. ambient household temps in Michigan in May-August (with air conditioning when necessary to keep them below 80).

Update: She laid 4 perfect eggs yesterday. Also yesterday, my other female died, unfortunately. As I was digging up the clutch of eggs, I realized that she had laid them in the exact same spot where my female who died laid eggs! I knew the dead female had been gravid, but didn't realize she had laid. That is the only explanation for 8 eggs, 4 of which are bigger and somewhat darker, but look great. I'll show pics when I figure out how to add them to this post :)

Brev eggs

Here they are....The 4 on the right are the new ones. The 4 on the left are the bonus clutch that I found. I'm not sure how long have been incubating in the vivarium, but I think about a month. They seem firm and in good shape. I imagine some slight discoloration is normal.

Attachments

• 2clutches.jpg
    2clutches.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 182
Back
Top Bottom