My Blue Bottle Fly Rearing Pods

Saldarya

Established Member
Evening All,

I have been searching for an easy way to hatch, raise, gutload, and then feed off BB flies on a regular basis in one easy process.

I finally came up with this lil project and I thought I would share. The goal is that the Pupae can hatch, feed, adn grow a bit in this containers. When they are ready to feed off, I simply place the pod into the cage at the bottom and remove the sponge closing up the top.

I reset these each week for each cham cage and then I have a regular flow of fresh flies.

Here we go!

1 quart container from Wal Mart, Cut out an opening and put some screen in place for good air flow.

Cut hole in top of lid.

Place food, a bit of water, and some gutter guard in pod for them to climb on.

Put lid with sponge on top,

Place on rack to pupate with a lil heat underneath.

These have been warming for a couple days, so i expect them to hatch out tomorrow, will let them eat for a week ro so, then feed them off.

Thanks for looking!

Bobby

so does it work pretty good...do you have pleanty or more than enough..just wondering i am wanting to get into the breeding of feeders..its costing me to much money every week at pet store..lol...i bought 3 ooths praying mantis in the process of hatching one now...so hopefully it will go good..ive tried to breed crickets but guess thats not me cause i ended up with no babies..lol and the worms im not really sure how to breed them..so im kind of stuck at the moment
:eek:

so does it work pretty good...do you have pleanty or more than enough..just wondering i am wanting to get into the breeding of feeders..its costing me to much money every week at pet store..lol...i bought 3 ooths praying mantis in the process of hatching one now...so hopefully it will go good..ive tried to breed crickets but guess thats not me cause i ended up with no babies..lol and the worms im not really sure how to breed them..so im kind of stuck at the moment
:eek:

It works great! THe amount of flies you get from it will depend on how many Pupae (or Larvae) you place in the container. I really lie the flies for the variety and the natural hunting for the chams. In addition, they are pretty easy as you see above.

If you feed BB, they will leave dark spit all over the inside of the cham cage, i feed them off without gut loading for that reason. I consider their worth as some protein and sharpening hunting skills.

Am I right that you aren't breeding them, but putting maggots or pupae you bought in the containers?

If you feed BB, they will leave dark spit all over the inside of the cham cage, i feed them off without gut loading for that reason. I consider their worth as some protein and sharpening hunting skills.

Am I right that you aren't breeding them, but putting maggots or pupae you bought in the containers?

Thanks for the feedback on the spit, never noticed it. TBH, I put enough pupae in the containers for one day worth of feeding. They are usually eaten so fast that perhaps that is why I have never noticed.

Yep, i just buy the pupae a couple thousand at a time. They are cheap and I spend enough time culturing other bugs! :)

I'm pretty lazy, so I bought a premade fly hatching container from mantisplace.com along with the blue bottle pupae.

Like you, I feed them off the day they hatch, so I don't feed and water the flies.

Glad you posted your nifty hatching bin.
It will surely help others :)

Back
Top Bottom