my baby veiled...

bigfink909

Im new to owning chameleons. My fiance and i just got our first chameleon. its a 3 month or so baby veiled and i have some concerns. Our apartment is generally cold so the reptile shop we got our cham. from said that we would be fine to keep its light on at all times, does anybody have any thoughts on this? it seems to be uncomfortable (its dark a lot of the time when its in the cage). Also how do we know if its a male of female? fingers crossed for a male.

Chams need total dark to sleep. If it gets cold at night, below 70, I would suggest getting a space heater to keep it a bit warmer. They like a good 10 to 15 degree temp drop from daytime to night time for sleeping.
Male veileds hae spurs on their back legs. if you see a bump on the back of the back feet, its a male, no bump its a female. if you still aren't sure, post a pic and someone can help you.

I dont, but I'm sure someone on here does. I just just a cheap thermo from walmart to monitor mine. Any other questions? and btw, pics are always appreciated here! :D

lol i will put up some pics later, dexter is soaking up some light right now. we named him dexter with hope that its a male

and when we get the space heater how far should it be from the enclosure? and should it be pointed away from it or kind of twords it?

My cham Camo is in my study, I have the space heater about 3 feet away just pointed up in the air. i also shut the door so the heat stays in the room. It helps with the humidity levels too. As long as your misting several times a day for several minutes.

i am considering switching to an auto mister, do you think that would be to stressful for the baby? i saw the shop i got it from had two different kinds of auto misters being used, one just had water dripping down and one looked like a fog coming down.

Ive heard of people using both. its really up to what you want to do. I've read that chams are morelikely to drink when they see dripping water.

Cold temperatures and high humidity dont mix. Stick to a misting lightly by hand a few times a day till you get your husbandry sorted out. Requirements first, lizard later.
A search of the forum will see you find extensive information regards care and requirements.
Your about to find out what your 'spur of the moment' pet requires, brace yourself.

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information, you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Pictures are helpful

Back
Top Bottom