My baby panther is not eating!

BirdieF18

Help my 3 month old chameleon is not eating his casque is quite small and has a dip and eyes are not sunken he is in a screen cage. He has been doing fine until he started his shed then he stopped eating. He has not eaten for five days now. He is a panther Nosy Ankarea.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - I have a three month old Panther Nosy Ankarea and has been in my care for about a month.
Handling - I handle my chameleon about once a week when i have to go in the cage and clean things a bit
Feeding - I am feeding brown crickets, Locusts. They are gut loaded on leafy greens, Bug grub and Bug Gell. Have been normally feeding once a day until he stopped and he ate around 4-8 quite easily.
Supplements - I feed normal calcium once a day nutroball once every two weeks and reptivite vitamin supplement once every two weeks.
Watering - Dripper and simple misting. dripper is on all day from lights on to lights off. I mist five times a day when i wake up, Before I go, When i get home, Five o'clock and one hour before lights out. Yes i see him drink quite often.
Fecal Description - It Has been black/brown and Urate has been white
History - N/A

Cage Info:
Cage Type - I have a screen cage which is 2ft by 2ft by 4ft
Lighting - I am using an arcadia 12% D3+ lamp and a 100w spot lamp
Temperature - Basking temps 80-82 degrees bottom is about 70 degrees
Humidity - Humidity is usually 75- 85% and i use a simple analogue hygrometer.
Plants - I am using live Palm and Photinia both have been cleared on a safe plants list.
Placement - There are no fans or vents in my house and the cage displaced about four feet off the ground we live in the countryside so no traffic
Location - Scotland, Dollar

Current Problem - Boggles has been eating fine and very well. His casque looked good he was very happy. Poo was a nice colour. This was until he started his shed i heard they could lose their appetite so i wasn't worried as much after the first two days or so but after that i got very concerned and was standing with him for hours holding crickets for him and watching locusts with him in the cage. I am worried now he is still very active and drinks very regularly but i don't know what i should do i have heard of people force feeding chameleons but i wasn't sure if this is the right thing to do as he is quite small. Thank you

Are the crickets and locusts maybe too large for him?. Did they grow since you have had them or do you keep buying new every week and keep them small?Just an idea if they prey is too large he might not eat it. Are you sure with a 100watt bulb you are only getting a 80-82 basking temp? Do you have the light suspended high up or something. that seems low for that high wattage of a bulb. Maybe your house is really cold? Don't know anything about the uvb bulb you are using. Not sure on the 12%d3 lamp if that is incorrect. I know people are using the Arcadia's more and more but not sure if that is too much. Does he ever hold his mouth open when he basks?? Do you have any access to any type of worms like silkworms over there?

Are the crickets and locusts maybe too large for him?. Did they grow since you have had them or do you keep buying new every week and keep them small?Just an idea if they prey is too large he might not eat it. Are you sure with a 100watt bulb you are only getting a 80-82 basking temp? Do you have the light suspended high up or something. that seems low for that high wattage of a bulb. Maybe your house is really cold? Don't know anything about the uvb bulb you are using. Not sure on the 12%d3 lamp if that is incorrect. I know people are using the Arcadia's more and more but not sure if that is too much. Does he ever hold his mouth open when he basks?? Do you have any access to any type of worms like silkworms over there?

No the crickets and locusts are not to large he is eating 3rd brown crickets. The bulb s suspended off the ceiling. In scotland it can get really cold but lately we have had our summer (which consists of one week) and it has been getting close to 30 degrees outside so our house is not cold. He does not hold his much open when he basks. I have mealworms but they are to big for him and he does not seem bothered. I will see if i can get silkworms over the internet. Yesterday he ate two crickets one on the border of being a 4th cricket. His shed is almost finished also.

He has eaten a bit but not too much just a fe crickets a day his casque is looking a bit better band he is quite lively. Does anyone know what i should do.

Well, I wouldn't worry too much. Maybe try some type of worms. Mine like silks alot and they are a very good feeder.

How about trying another feeder?

What would you reccomend I have locusts and brown crickets, i am feeding them, he doesn't seem bothered with the mealworms i have and thats all i can really get in the pet stores the rest i have to buy off the internet like grubs etc. If i got a list of all the things i should get i will put in an order.

Can you get roaches? I know people like to feed them. I cannot stand the sight of them so I don't. I feed my chameleons crickets, superworms, hornworms, silkworms, moths and dragon flies when I can catch them! Some other worm feeders are butterworms and phoenix worms. Also mantids are used as feeders if you can get them.

Can you get roaches? I know people like to feed them. I cannot stand the sight of them so I don't. I feed my chameleons crickets, superworms, hornworms, silkworms, moths and dragon flies when I can catch them! Some other worm feeders are butterworms and phoenix worms. Also mantids are used as feeders if you can get them.

Thanks I will get looking

Back
Top Bottom