My Baby only eats meal worms and fruit flies :(

walzy444

Soo... I have a 2.5 month old baby mail veiled.. and he was eating just fruit flies. Then i found super tiny meal worms (before i found out they are hard to digest..) and hes been eating a mix. I got butter worms.. he grabbed one then spit it out and wont eat any of them.. I tried a silk worm and he wont go after it (I got the smallest worms I could find and i think they are a little big for him still...) i tried pinhead crickets and he has no interest.. I have been giving him the meal worms dusted in Ca powder so he wont starve.. should I just completely take meal worms away until hes hungry enough to eat something else? I have a 5 month old female who eat crickets and butters no problem.. Also, I am picking up a dubia roach colony tonight and hope he eats these things... This is getting frustrating... its so hard to find things small enough for him that arn't meal worms... Pic of him is in my profile pic to show size on a beer bottle... lol

I had the same problem with my chameleon when he was little. I gave him fruit flies all the time. I eventually got him to eat roaches but it was tough. I just stopped feeding him fruit flies and kept offering him roaches until he finally ate one. He loves roaches after that. If I were you I would just stop feeding the fruit flies and worms when you get the roaches. They can go a few days without eating food. So he won't starve himself to death. But just make sure he stays hydrated. They will die of thirst faster than they will die of hunger. And when you offer him roaches, I had to coax him into eating them by wiggling them. You might have to do the same. So don't worry. They can be stubborn eaters. I know mine was haha

My panther had got hooked on super worms once and would pay no attention to the other feeders I had. I just stopped feeding him supers as often and put my crickets or roaches in as usual, if he didn't eat them then oh well. Maybe a day and a half passed until he got hungry enough to eat other feeders and since then he's been eating them just fine and I only offer supers once a week

I did leave him for a day and put a pinhead cricket and a butter worm... the cricket was gone.. not sure if it just escaped tho or buried itself in dirt... lol fingers crossed these dubia's work tonight! I will set my house on fire if any of those escape haha

IMG_0257.JPG
The I have a 4 1/2 month panther. He is my first chameleon. I have had him for just over a month now. He seems to only eat 2-3 big crickets everyday. Does that seem normal. I usually leave a half dozen in his cage at a time till they are all eaten. Whatever is alive the next day, I just redust them again. Does this sound normal? Thanks for the input.

He is way young for bigger food, I would suggest you look at my classified ad here on the forum, I have Bean Beetle Cultures, Cleaner Beetle cultures, Rice Beetle Cultures, Praying Mantis ooths, and small Dubia, Orange Head, and Green Banana roaches. I can make you up containers of small roaches, and the Rice Beetles, Cleaner Beetles, and Bean Beetles will get him big enough to tackle larger prey.

The ad is under "FEEDERS" in the Classifieds section, the title is "Feeder Beetles and Roaches."

Email me at [email protected] with an amount you have available, and I will send your guy some grub!

CHEERS!

Nick

My 2 months female panther loves 1/4" crickets and fruit flies, but would not touch the dubias I placed in her food cup. I'm trying diversify her eating habit with dubias, but without much success. I may have to go the starvation route and offer the dubias to see it that method works. The fruitflies are more of a "bonding" meal for us now. Everyday after work, I would pick up one dusted fruitfly at a time, and placed it on a leave near her basking area. She would shoot the fruitfly when she sees it running around on the leaves. Such a pleasure to watch.

Back
Top Bottom