My 3.5 month old jackson chameleon

Zingaling

I posted a thread awhile back about my chameleon wondering about its sex. And i realized a month ago that it is a female. Though i am still kinda confused why its horns are growing. I know its female since by now its horns should be really big. The reason why it confuses me is because its horns seem pretty large for a female. Most jackson females ive seen on this forum has no horns at all. Maybe just one rostral, but thats it. Mine has all three, though very small yet very noticeable. Anyway i just wanted to let yall know that she is thriving. She had her second shed today and that really made me happy. Sorry but i have no pics since my iphone can never focus on such a tiny creature. But i will try later to get a pic.

Female Jacksons are different where horns are concerned - Xantholophus have no horms at all or VERY tiny nubs that tend to point straight up. J. Jacksoni females have 3 horns like the males and J. Merumontanus females have a single rostral horn.

Do you know which subspeicies you have? My Monty is a Xanth and at 3 months his horns were just little nubs. Here's a pic of him around that time so you can see what I mean. His horns didn't really start to grow much until he was around 5 to 6 months old. This pic was taken at just over 3 months old during his second shed. Jackson babies grow a lot slower than Veileds or Panthers.

FlakeyMonty.jpg

Female Jacksons are different where horns are concerned - Xantholophus have no horms at all or VERY tiny nubs that tend to point straight up. J. Jacksoni females have 3 horns like the males and J. Merumontanus females have a single rostral horn.

Do you know which subspeicies you have? My Monty is a Xanth and at 3 months his horns were just little nubs. Here's a pic of him around that time so you can see what I mean. His horns didn't really start to grow much until he was around 5 to 6 months old. This pic was taken at just over 3 months old during his second shed. Jackson babies grow a lot slower than Veileds or Panthers.

FlakeyMonty.jpg

jackosnii jacksonii females can have 3 horn too, btw that litle guy is just cute!:D

jackosnii jacksonii females can have 3 horn too, btw that litle guy is just cute!:D
Thanks! That was back in December last year when he was a little over 3 months. He just turned a year old at the beginning of September. I said about female Jacksonii in my post.

FlakeyMonty.jpg

Ahh I love seeing Monty pics I wish I had pics of my boy jack when he was a baby they are just so cute lol Mont was the one who turned us to look into Jackson's.

Thanks! That was back in December last year when he was a little over 3 months. He just turned a year old at the beginning of September. I said about female Jacksonii in my post.

My chameleons horns are no where near that size. And color is no where near green like yours. The horns on my chameleon look like newborn size, maybe slightly larger.

Also i dont know what specie it is. But pretty sure its a xanth.

I cannot get a good pic. My iphone cant focus

Zingaling
Where did you get your Jackson from? They should beable to tell you which one you have.

I got it from a petstore that had no clue. Not even of age. They told me someone just dropped them off. They were very tiny when i got them. They were also very skinny and dehydrated. Only 1 out of 3 lived.

I wish i could. But i dont have a good quality camera. My pictures from my iphone always come out blurry when trying to do closeups. But i will keep trying.

I got it from a petstore that had no clue. Not even of age. They told me someone just dropped them off. They were very tiny when i got them. They were also very skinny and dehydrated. Only 1 out of 3 lived.

Seeing as the pet shop had no clue about anything, it is highly likely that your baby is a lot younger than they led you to believe. Monty only got his greens show up more when I tookhim out. He was always brown in his viv until he got to around 5 months iirc. How long have you had your cham for?

Seeing as the pet shop had no clue about anything, it is highly likely that your baby is a lot younger than they led you to believe. Monty only got his greens show up more when I tookhim out. He was always brown in his viv until he got to around 5 months iirc. How long have you had your cham for?

Yes my cham is dark in its cage as well. But when hes out shes a nice yellow light brown.
Im pretty sure they were newborn when i got them.
I have them aproximately 3-4 months. Lost track of time.

Heres the best pic i could get.
http://s1245.photobucket.com/albums/gg600/zingaling1/?action=view&current=1348020354_zpsf6f09d2e.jpg

Cant really see the horns though. Her rostral horn is covered with shed and you can see little points on her eyes.

Heres the cage

http://s1245.photobucket.com/albums...ction=view&current=1348020215_zpsf839302a.jpg

Its a 18/18/36 aluminum cage with pet safe screen.
It has a dead ficus, i left it in there so he can climb around.
And a umbrella tree.
Reptiglo 5.0 compact currently not in use, as it was a suspect to the dead ficus.
Arcadia 6%+d3 t5 ho 22inch with fixture on order.

I don't see a basking spot in the cage? How are you monitoring the basking temps for her? That's probably why she's so dark in the cage is because she trying to absorb heat.
Also, she needs UVB. Better to get fake plants and keep the Reptisun, then get rid of the Reptisun because of the dead plant.

I live in hawaii. Tempurature in hawaii is mid 80s in the day, and mid 70s at night which is perfect temps for jacksons.
Plus i take her out for sunlight 3 times a day 30 min each time.
I dont think ill need a basking spot untill winter.
Dw she should be fine without a uvb light for a few days. I have one shipping as we speak.

Back
Top Bottom