My 1 year old veiled Chameleon

SavvyCJ

Hello, I’m new to here.

My 1 year old veiled chameleon Wednesday has been acting weird she has been at the bottom of her cage(her color is light green) and one of her eyes seem to be half closed

Attachments

• C21A38EC-C3AB-46FE-A91F-D161BC7C44BE.jpeg
    C21A38EC-C3AB-46FE-A91F-D161BC7C44BE.jpeg
    372.3 KB · Views: 98
does she have a lay bin? also the bark at the bottom can be bad they can eat it and it can cause impaction
She doesn’t have a lay bin.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon, Female, she is about 1 1/2 years old, I’ve had her for about 1 year(since Oct 2017)
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? :
  • Not often since I’ve read where it stresses them out.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? :
  • I feed her large crickets, I feed her a couple at a time(so they don’t attack her), I don’t gut load the crickets, I need to start doing it.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? None
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I use a spray bottle, I water her leaves 3 times a day, I usually don’t watch her drink.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Hasn’t been tested for parasites, she hasn’t recently pooped
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
  • Usually she is hiding in her leaves, she usually hisses at me when I open her cage

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Screen cage, not sure the dimensions.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? It’s a dual lamp, I’m using a UVB and heat lamp, I leave both her lights on for 12 hours each day, the brand is ZooMed
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? I don’t measure the temps
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? I don’t measure the humidity
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? I have one fake leaf plant
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Her cage is currently on top of my dogs cage, I didn’t want her cage on the floor
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Ohio

you need to supplement you'll be lucky if she doesn't have mbd, calcium with d3 and multivitamin everyother week and calcium without d3 every feeding

feed everyother day in the morning to give her time to digest and start varying up her diet, silk worms, bsf, bsfl, hornworms, bbf, and superworms (occasionally) are all great for her

along with that gutload with cricket crack or repashy diet or something besides those orange cubes in the petstore

spray 3 times a day minmum 2 mins, 5 mins at best

its very important to measure temp and humidity buy a temp gun or thermometer and humidity gauge

she needs more than one fake plant and A LOT of branches

the dog will stress her out, move her

make sure her temps don't fall below 60 degrees at night if so get a che

as for the symptoms, she most likely has mbd if I'm totally honest, she doesn't look too good

feed everyother day in the morning to give her time to digest and start varying up her diet, silk worms, bsf, bsfl, hornworms, bbf, and superworms (occasionally) are all great for her

along with that gutload with cricket crack or repashy diet or something besides those orange cubes in the petstore

spray 3 times a day minmum 2 mins, 5 mins at best

its very important to measure temp and humidity buy a temp gun or thermometer and humidity gauge

she needs more than one fake plant and A LOT of branches

the dog will stress her out, move her

make sure her temps don't fall below 60 degrees at night if so get a che

My dog is never in her cage, it’s just for looks, I’m gonna buy some more plants and branches for her today/thermometer and humidity gauge, she is definitely going to the vet asap

My dog is never in her cage, it’s just for looks, I’m gonna buy some more plants and branches for her today/thermometer and humidity gauge, she is definitely going to the vet asap

Attachments

• 3C5DC5E7-AD59-4D92-95FE-AEE58C192999.jpeg
    3C5DC5E7-AD59-4D92-95FE-AEE58C192999.jpeg
    204.6 KB · Views: 58
MORE PLANTS AND BRANCHES NOW! sorry to yell but CHAMELEONS NEED THE ENCLOSURE STUFFED WITH PLANTS AND BRANCHES this will not for the little gal sorry I yell sometimes when I need someone to something lmao! apologies ;):notworthy:

MORE PLANTS AND BRANCHES NOW! sorry to yell but CHAMELEONS NEED THE ENCLOSURE STUFFED WITH PLANTS AND BRANCHES this will not for the little gal sorry I yell sometimes when I need someone to something lmao! apologies ;):notworthy:
It’s ok haha, definitely will buy more plants and branches

Here is a closeup oh her, her eyes are closed

Attachments

• 72D17FDD-DB4B-4F04-914F-24340EF31420.jpeg
    72D17FDD-DB4B-4F04-914F-24340EF31420.jpeg
    197.9 KB · Views: 87
She doesn’t have a lay bin.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon, Female, she is about 1 1/2 years old, I’ve had her for about 1 year(since Oct 2017)
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? :
  • Not often since I’ve read where it stresses them out.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? :
  • I feed her large crickets, I feed her a couple at a time(so they don’t attack her), I don’t gut load the crickets, I need to start doing it.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? None
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I use a spray bottle, I water her leaves 3 times a day, I usually don’t watch her drink.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Hasn’t been tested for parasites, she hasn’t recently pooped
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
  • Usually she is hiding in her leaves, she usually hisses at me when I open her cage

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Screen cage, not sure the dimensions.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? It’s a dual lamp, I’m using a UVB and heat lamp, I leave both her lights on for 12 hours each day, the brand is ZooMed
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? I don’t measure the temps
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? I don’t measure the humidity
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? I have one fake leaf plant
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Her cage is currently on top of my dogs cage, I didn’t want her cage on the floor
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Ohio
When you go to the vet, bring this form so they know your husbandry, along with a fresh fecal if possible. Take the substrate out and set up a drainage system. She needs a lay bin, that article by jannb is fantastic to read! I’d recommend reading through the enclosures tab in resources, she needs tons of branches and vines, mostly horizontal, along with tons of plant cover everywhere throughout her enclosure. Feed her the recommended amount in the morning every other day. Make sure to either keep your feeders constantly gutloaded with quality gutload or separate what you’ll feed off the night before or a few hours before feeding and gorge them with quality gutload (still feed the rest of the colony, though). Great gutloads are either organic fresh fruits and veggies (there’s a gutload list here in the food and nutrition tab in resources) and/or a quality commercial gutload, like Cricket Crack, Pangea Gutload, or Repashy Bug Burger. If you go commercial, turn the gutload into a paste/gel by adding water so you don’t have to worry about watering your feeders (fruits and veggies have enough water in them as is). There are many ways to supplement:
1-phosphorous free calcium without D3 (Zoo Med ReptiCalcium without D3) every feeding, phosphorous free calcium with D3 (Zoo Med ReptiCalcium with D3) every two weeks, and a multivitamin without D3 (Zoo Med Reptivite without D3) every two weeks
2-phosphorous free calcium without D3 (Zoo Med ReptiCalcium without D3) every feeding and a multivitamin with D3 (Zoo Med Reptivite with D3) every two weeks
3-an all in one supplement every feeding (either Sticky Tongue Farm Minerall Indoor-gutload the feeders you’ll feed off the night before or a few hours before with the wet version of Sticky Tongue Farms Vitall- or Repashy Calcium Plus LoD)
4-Arcadia supplements using the Arcadia insectivore supplement schedule off of their website
Add in bee pollen powder each dusting for extra nutrients! When dusting with supplements, put the feeders you’re feeding in a container with some supplement and shake it until each feeder is lightly, but completely, coated in supplement, then feed off. Fix your husbandry first, then add in some more variety of feeders, I can give a giant list when the time comes! Make sure each misting is at least 2 minutes long each time. When misting, heavily spray down the entire cage to where all cage furnishings are dripping in water, GENTLY mist your cham as well, for she needs it to cleanse her eyes. Female veileds need a minimum sized cage of 18” by 18” by 36” tall, though bigger is better. Get rid of your current uvb bulb and get a t5HO linear uvb fixture and bulb (uvb strength depends on cage height). Make sure her basking bulb is a white light. She needs a basking temp of 85*F. For veileds, temps can go down to 50*F at night without a nighttime heat source. If it drops below that, get a LOW wattage ceramic heat emitter. Humidity should be on the mid-lower end of 40-70%. Veileds eat plants, so I’d get at least one live cham-safe one. Make sure to either Physan, bleach dip (rinse off EXTREMELY well multiple times afterwards with either method), or just rinse off really well the plant, leaves, roots, etc. then repot bareroot into organic soil. Then cover the soil with rocks too big for your cham to eat.

Back
Top Bottom