mushroom growth in my cage

chameleongirl2

my chams cage has grown 5 average sized random mushrooms/fungus!! i dont want my chan to eat it so how can i remove it without it comming back??

Wow! chamshrooms :eek: :D

I would clean out the whole cage and replace the vines and branches.
Stuff made of plastic could be cleaned and dissinfected with a weak bleach solution.
Everything else, I would toss!!

Infection from a mushroom? Am I not understanding something?

I wouldn't worry too much and just pluck them. If you see more growing I would consider replanting the soil.

Mushrooms are the fruiting bodies of mycelium.

If you are seeing fruiting bodies, you have mycelium somewhere.

Mycelium can live in different mediums depending on the species.

Its safe to say that it is growing in either the dirt, or on dead wood in the dirt, or both.

Changing your soil would obviously get rid of the issue.

Most organic soils will have some sort of mycelium growth in them when purchased.

You can sterilize the soil, by placing it in mason jars, and pressure cooking it. Then, so long as no other mycelium is introduced, there will be no more mushrooms.

Plenty of mushroom species are toxic, and plenty are undetermined to be either safe or toxic.

So it is a good thing to keep them out of the enclosure.

Some species may grow in fairly dry conditions, so it may not be just a factor of your overall humidity being too high, but making sure things dry out well, especially at night will help control fungal growth.

(I believe Xanthoman has a more in-depth "tutorial" somewhere for the sterilization of soil, but Im unable to find it at the moment.)

Last edited:
Mushrooms are the fruiting bodies of mycelium.

If you are seeing fruiting bodies, you have mycelium somewhere.

Mycelium can live in different mediums depending on the species.

Its safe to say that it is growing in either the dirt, or on dead wood in the dirt, or both.

Changing your soil would obviously get rid of the issue.

Most organic soils will have some sort of mycelium growth in them when purchased.

You can sterilize the soil, by placing it in mason jars, and pressure cooking it. Then, so long as no other mycelium is introduced, there will be no more mushrooms.

Plenty of mushroom species are toxic, and plenty are undetermined to be either safe or toxic.

So it is a good thing to keep them out of the enclosure.

Some species may grow in fairly dry conditions, so it may not be just a factor of your overall humidity being too high, but making sure things dry out well, especially at night will help control fungal growth.

(I believe Xanthoman has a more in-depth "tutorial" somewhere for the sterilization of soil, but Im unable to find it at the moment.)

Someone knows their fungus facts..;)

The op didnt say anything about soil being in there from plants.
I assume there must be or else the shrooms wouldnt grow, right?? :confused:

The op didnt say anything about soil being in there from plants.
I assume there must be or else the shrooms wouldnt grow, right?? :confused:

Soil is the most likely area the mycelium would be growing in, in a chameleons enclosure. Even if the mycelium is growing on the woodchips, that are in the soil. For all intent and purpose, we will just say "soil".

There are many species that grow on dead limbs, if that is the case, throwing out the limb, or obtaining a giant pressure cooker would be the only way to control the issue. Since branches are free, and an industrial sized pressure cooker, large enough to fit a branch in are something like thousands (maybe tens of thousands) of dollars, the obvious choice is to obtain a fresh branch.

Soil is the most likely area the mycelium would be growing in, in a chameleons enclosure. Even if the mycelium is growing on the woodchips, that are in the soil. For all intent and purpose, we will just say "soil".

There are many species that grow on dead limbs, if that is the case, throwing out the limb, or obtaining a giant pressure cooker would be the only way to control the issue. Since branches are free, and an industrial sized pressure cooker, large enough to fit a branch in are something like thousands (maybe tens of thousands) of dollars, the obvious choice is to obtain a fresh branch.

LOL! okay, got it.
So then, the short and simple answer I already posted in #7, right?? ;)

Back
Top Bottom