Multiberculata mated

First comment : no photos ...

But it was unexpected .

I have been introducing my male multi to the female for the past month. The method I used was holding him on my hand and moving him in line of sight of the female with her being in her enclosure. There were also a couple of occasions where I put the male in the females cage and vice versa but both seemed like someone has invaded their space and the only time the male showed interest, the female was unreceptive.

Today I put them both in the outside enclosure and the connection was mutual and pretty immediate too. Copulation lasted for about 30 mins in total.

...so this is the start of it. I am ready to purchase an incubator but if anyone knows of a diy version I am all ears. Temps indoors in the hottest season are 80f indoors so I need to cool ..warming is the easier part

I had the same issue last year. It finally happened in the outdoor enclosure. The interesting thing about it was that I observed the females body language was different that time. She started coiling and uncoiling her tail and snaking it around. That's all the male needed to see. He quickly got with it. For incubation. I use a basement.

I had the same issue last year. It finally happened in the outdoor enclosure. The interesting thing about it was that I observed the females body language was different that time. She started coiling and uncoiling her tail and snaking it around. That's all the male needed to see. He quickly got with it. For incubation. I use a basement.

The change came from the male mostly as after 15 mins in the sun with sight of the female , he started getting very alert and was bopping his head constantly. The female did not react much and was actually moving along with him. fingers crossed!

Unfortunately I do not have a basement so will have to see if I can get my hands on a second hand mini fridge as just checked out the Reptibator from Zoomed at a retail store and it is selling for 188 EUR which is equivalent to 259 USD ! Way too much !

Thanks for your reply Mike.

Here is a photo...sorry it is not so clear but it is all I got..

Attachments

• IMG_20140413_162007.jpg
    IMG_20140413_162007.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 362
Right, just a quick update...it has now been around 40 days since my pair has mated...she is definitely gravid and is starting to roam the bottom of the cage..

She is trying to get out of the bottom of the cage and seems to be trying to find a lower spot, however she cannot get any lower than that obviously..I have put two laying bins inside, a plant pot with around 6 inches of dirt with vines from the pothos leading into it, and another more shallow bin next to glass of the enclosure.

Up until now I have not seen her trying to dig in any of them...I'm slightly worried that she might not comprehend that she can dig in them since she is roaming the bottom of her enclosure. Maybe when it is really the time she would use them?

The last time she layed eggs, she layed them on the floor as she did not have a laying bin since I thought she was a he..

Attachments

• IMG_20140525_163610.jpg
    IMG_20140525_163610.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 308
Up until now I have not seen her trying to dig in any of them...I'm slightly worried that she might not comprehend that she can dig in them since she is roaming the bottom of her enclosure. Maybe when it is really the time she would use them?

I learned a long time ago that privacy is the key. If they don't feel like they can lay them without prying eyes, they sometimes won't. I set up a separate laying bucket, which is a trashcan with a lid, and a dome light through the top. I put a plant in there, and a big flat rock, like flagstone. Next to the rock, I start a hole that goes under the rock. Nine times out of ten they will choose the hole I pre-started for them. Good luck.

I learned a long time ago that privacy is the key. If they don't feel like they can lay them without prying eyes, they sometimes won't. I set up a separate laying bucket, which is a trashcan with a lid, and a dome light through the top. I put a plant in there, and a big flat rock, like flagstone. Next to the rock, I start a hole that goes under the rock. Nine times out of ten they will choose the hole I pre-started for them. Good luck.

Thanks for being so quick to jump in as soon as you see a post about kinyongia ;)

In fact I just covered her cage, do you think its enough for her to lay ? I won't be able to set up the bin until tomm eve..

In fact I just covered her cage, do you think its enough for her to lay ? I won't be able to set up the bin until tomm eve..

As long as you mean you've covered the sides and she still has light, yes that might work too. ;) She shouldn't be able to see people/other pets etc.

In addition, if you start a hole for her it might get her going.
Thanks for being so quick to jump in as soon as you see a post about kinyongia ;)
My name IS "Fisher" :p

As long as you mean you've covered the sides and she still has light, yes that might work too. ;) She shouldn't be able to see people/other pets etc.

In addition, if you start a hole for her it might get her going.

My name IS "Fisher" :p

Got that FISHER ;) Fingers crossed.

I will keep updating this thread

Eggs Layed 30/05/14

She did not use any of the two bins I placed for her...lesson learnt. Next time its either sand and soil at the bottom of the enclosure or placing her in a large tub with soil..

Have 14 eggs in total which have been placed in a small container, which is then placed in a larger Styrofoam box...temperature is standing at 69.4 at the moment.

Summer is kicking in and will eventually have to use ice packs in the box to keep it in the mid to high 60s for now ...I'm going diy with this .

Any hints and tips would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20140530_193900.jpg
    IMG_20140530_193900.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 264
What did she end up laying in?

You are going to have a rough time keeping it cool with ice packs all summer.

I would use a small refrigerator. I'd open the electronics and bypass the factory internal thermostat and wire in a digital proportional thermostat instead.

I personally would not trust one of those pre-made wine cooler thingys unless I gutted the thing and started over. If the thermostat is mechanical, it is junk IMO. Mechanical thermostats will fail eventually, just a matter of time. The usual failure mode is to stick in the closed position. The moisture fuses the contacts. They also operate in an on/off mode which cycles the temperatures back and forth, so you get these temperature swings all day and night. A digitally proportional thermostat works by varying the voltage to the source depending on demand, so they can usually hold to +-0.5 degree F from set temperature.

That is good to know thanks Fischer...so up until now I am getting temps of 62 - 70 depending on how fresh the ice pack is, what u think? ...in the meantime I am going to be looking into a wine cooler and a separate thermostat ...

How low is too low of a temp?

Attachments

• IMG_20140531_132824.jpg
    IMG_20140531_132824.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_20140531_132454.jpg
    IMG_20140531_132454.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 270
That is good to know thanks Fischer...so up until now I am getting temps of 62 - 70 depending on how fresh the ice pack is, what u think? ...in the meantime I am going to be looking into a wine cooler and a separate thermostat ...

How low is too low of a temp?

I have mine set for 62 night/ 69 day. I've always believed that night drop is hugely important to the size and vigor of the hatchlings.

I did a test once on a clutch. Half were incubated at one temperature which was an average, the other half were cycled day/night. The set temperature group hatched two weeks ahead of the others, but the babies were small and still had yolk sacs attached. The cycled group hatched two weeks later, yolk sacs already used up and were huge in comparison. They were lively and ate vigorously just a few hours out of the egg.

Sounds just about right to me...

Have to check out a couple of wine coolers, mini fridges and see if I can tinker with the thermostat.

For now if the temps stay as is they should be good. The idea above just needs less attention as at the moment Icannot afford to not change ice packs after 12hrs.

Humidity I'm guessing is in the region of 95..vermiculite damp but not soaked.

I believe that the Herpstat 2 can control heating and cooling. So if you picked up a cheap mini fridge, bypassed the factory thermostat and wired it direct, then plug into the Herpstat 2 for temperature control, that would be a nice solution. If you ever needed it to heat, you could add some flexwatt inside of it and use the other circuit on the Herpstat.

Yes, a bit of an investment, but I learned a long time ago not to gamble with eggs it took sometimes years to get.

Back
Top Bottom