Mr. Wilson - mouth problem - jaw not lining up - looks injured

DBDEAN

This is second time ive type all this - x'd out of window the first time right before I posted...anyway.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Veiled, Male, in my care for 4 months, 1 year old
Handling - rarely - he was a classroom pet before and is still dealing with PTSD associated with that. He hides if you even LOOK at him.
Feeding - Feed every morning - cup feeding. 5 crickets 1 king worm, 1 dubie roach and sometimes some wax worms - as a treat. Gut loading with Kale, broccoli, appleas radishes, carrots, jicama, celery and flukers gut loading powder sprinkled on top. Also use flukers calium jelly water supplement.
Supplements - Repti-vitamen dust with vit a, calcium dust and calcium with D3 dust. Dust with calcium every day. Vitamen and calcium with D3 every other week on friday.
Watering - Spray 3 times a day for 1 - 2 min (till bottle is empty) and humidty is at 50% and all leaves are dripping. Also have drinking fountain in the corner (this is new).
Fecal Description -brown and white, regular, about an inch long and sometimes as thick as a small grape around. no testing for parasites
History - had MBD when I got him 4 months ago. He was not on any dusting regime then. Joints where swollen and casque was crushed looking. Tongue was grey and would flow out slowly and didnt work properly. no UVB light at that time. I put him on calcium regime and started guttloading crickets. I got a UVB light. Tongue is pink now and appears to work properly.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - 24” x 18” x 24” Exo-Terra Glass Terrarium - Ive ordered a Zoo Med ReptiBreeze Open Air Aluminum Screen Cage X-Large 24" x 24" x 48 but that wont be here for another 4 days.
Lighting - zoomed dual light dome with basking light on one side and UVB light in other
Temperature - cage floor is 70 - 75. Basking spot is 85-90. Turn lights off at night and temp goes to 64
Humidity - 25% - 50% after misting - I use a petco humidty gauage
Plants -no live plants yet - will add ficus once bigger cage rrives
Placement - In corner of living room, low traffic area. Mostly just me in there knitting... Top of cage is 4 feet off ground. its on a 2 foot tall end table and it is 2 feet tall.
Location - San Fran, Ca

Current Problem - Jaw looks weird and swollen. Tongue is still pink and I know he is eating - even though he wont eat in front of me. I can sit there 10 minutes hiding behind pillows waiting for him to eat but he knows I am there. He waits till I leave the room and then eats... I know this because food is all gone in minutes - it is not in the bottom of cage AND there is normally a cricket antenna sticking out of his mouth. I see him drinking but only see tip of tongue - never fully extended.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Wow he looks terrible. He needs to go to a vet now. It looks like he might have a massive infection in his mouth that has spread to the jaw bone, or his jaw has been broken in the past. Given the extreme poor care he received prior to coming to you, he should see a vet regardless of other issues.

Did you try to treat his MBD yourself just by dusting and better lighting? MBD is a very difficult condition to treat and needs more than just better lighting and dusting food.

He might have such a bad case of MBD that his jaw has basically disintegrated.

He needs to see a vet because if his jaw deformity is from MBD, his prognosis is very poor. Please don't handle him. He might be incredibly fragile.

Please get him to a vet and get a proper diagnosis. Whatever is going on is very serious and likely incredibly painful.

Found one in Daly City - my normal vet recommended them.

So how do I trasnport him? He hates being handled...

Bucket or shoe box with a towel. I really wish you two the best of luck at the vet. Please let us know how it goes. Poor little guy.

I found at Petco on clearance a dog carrier for plane travel(only $2.00). Its for small dogs and it works awesome. Must better than anything else I have used before.

Back
Top Bottom