Mr. Green doesnt eat everyday

SweetHeart

Mr. Green is fine and all but I was just wondering if it was normal for a veiled chameleon to not eat for 2 days ?

don't know exactly the people at Petco didn't know but he's about as long as a pencil(counting his tail) but hes isn't very wide at all. He's a thin little guy lol

Could you post a current picture of him? We can give a guess of his age and let you know if we notice anything that could indicate a problem. These guys will occasionally stop eating and go on a hunger strike, but it could be something else. It would be helpful if you fill in the How to ask for help form so we can tell if anything in his environment could be causing an issue.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/

:)

the attach thing didnt show an actual pic so i think this is it

IMG_20130519_160335_824[1].jpg

Mr. Green isn't exactly Green right now lol He's shedding

Shedding can certainly cause a cham to stop eating. This could be the problem.

As for some observations, I'd like to see him in a screened enclosure. Does that have any airflow besides the screen top? If not, I would think of getting a different enclosure soon. Also, I'm a bit concerned with the right wrist area. Has your boy had issues with MBD in the past? What supplements and lighting do you use?

How to ask for help

My chameleon---Is a veiled chameleon. idk how old. I have had hime for nearly 3 months now.
Handling--- About once a week but he doesn't really like being picked up one once I have him out he doesn't seem to mind and enjoys climbing on my shirt.
Feeding---I feed him 3 to 6 calcium dusted meal worms a day just depends . I always put 6 in there but he may not eat all of them... He eats 1 to 5 crickets a day. I put these in there one at a time because they stress him out. I feed the crickets tons of lettuce lol I think they eat more than Mr. Green.
Watering---For now I just put a cup with a hole in the bottom a refill it when he goes up to it.I about to make a custom cage for him though. I spray mist each side of the cage about 5 spays each just depending on how dry it is. Yeah I see him drink nearly ever day.
Poop--- Its brown with little whitish things on the side of it every time.
History--- I think he may have broke his wrist at some time or another

Last edited:
Are you dusting the feeders with anything? Do you have a light for UVB? Both are necessary for good health. (unless they have access to outdoor sunlight)

Cage Info

Cage type---I have a 10 gal. tank but plane to make a screen cage with flexi glass at the end of the month.
Lighting and Temp---ZooMed . 120-100 MAX.. It has a day and night light which is red. so during the day the temp is about 80-90 and at night like 70-80 more around 80 now since its summer.
Humidity--- This is something I haven't paid much attention to and I think I need to. But I spray but yester day my spray bottle broke but I have a water thingy in there even though he doesn't drink out of it but it eventually goes in he air. I don't have anything to measure humidity YET...
Plants--- I have only fate plants but again Im about to change some things.. (any live plant suggestions?)
Placement---Im 5'3 and the top of the tank comes to my diaphragm . I have a ceiling fan which is way higher than the cage which is on a lot. Hes in my room and im really the only one who comes in here.
Location---Mississippi

Yeah I think he was starting to get it at Petco but I didn't notice it til I got him home but I think he'll be fine. And I don't think returning him will solve the problem they ever gave him calcium

Yeah I dust with calcium everyday on the meale worms. He has light but not UvB bc I don't have room right now which is Definitely fixing to be changed. An when I hold him I take him y the window where plenty of light comes thru

As long as the light is through the screen and not the window it should be O.K. for a short time, but the MBD will get worse if you don't fix the lighting soon!!! As for the red night bulb, get rid of it! They need darkness to sleep properly and you don't need a heat source unless your temps drop below 50 or so in the tank. Not sure if you've seen the caresheet link for veiled chams, so here it is...https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/. Lots of great tips and info in there! ;) MBD will get worse, and can cause severe damage if not treated quickly. This is a must read for all chameleon owners to understand the causes and how to prevent it. It shows some links to members who have battled against it and given their chams a good life. https://www.chameleonforums.com/wha...ase-mbd-looks-like-how-happens-how-fix-95071/

Hope your little one is eating better and done shedding quickly! Let me know if you have any questions about lighting, enclosures, etc! :cool:

Ive always worried about his wrist Since I got him I really think he broke it when he was young but it doesn't really bother him at least not now. The 1st month I had him he was really shaky when he climbed. He doesn't do it anymore though So I guess it healed.

Thanks I was scared he would get cold because I got him in the winter time .well it was like March but it was 30 degrees outside lol...

My chameleon---Is a veiled chameleon. idk how old. I have had hime for nearly 3 months now.
Handling--- About once a week but he doesn't really like being picked up one once I have him out he doesn't seem to mind and enjoys climbing on my shirt.
Feeding---I feed him 3 to 6 calcium dusted meal worms a day just depends . I always put 6 in there but he may not eat all of them... He eats 1 to 5 crickets a day. I put these in there one at a time because they stress him out. I feed the crickets tons of lettuce lol I think they eat more than Mr. Green.
Watering---For now I just put a cup with a hole in the bottom a refill it when he goes up to it.I about to make a custom cage for him though. I spray mist each side of the cage about 5 spays each just depending on how dry it is. Yeah I see him drink nearly ever day.
Poop--- Its brown with little whitish things on the side of it every time.
History--- I think he may have broke his wrist at some time or another

You need to feed (gut load) your crickets something more than just lettuce. I believe Petco sells bug burger which is a much better gut load. I would try to get him out of that tank ASAP and into a screen enclosure with the proper UVB light over him. The sun shining through your window into a glass tank could be dangerous for him causing his temp to be too high. Are you giving him any kind of multivitamin? What about calcium with vit D?

Holding him in front of a window isn't going to give him the light he needs. You should take him outside and let him get direct sunlight.

will do. matter of fact I took him out yesterday. And I guess this could be confusing but the window was open lol. I don't have a way of getting around or else I would have already done all these things but sadly the state wont let me get my license until I turn 17. I have been getting on here because my mom doesn't think its that big of a problem... Thank you guys for the concern now she is finally understanding the importance and is paying attention for once

Back
Top Bottom