Moving in June

Trixie&Coyle

Hey! I just got my chameleon, Coyle, 3 weeks ago from PetSmart (I know I know but I thought I would be his best chance) and the workers there convinced me to get a 10 gal horizontal tank since he’s so small. He seems to be doing fine and has lots of places to climb, I tried making up for lack of hight with the way I put the vines (This is the best pic I have rn). My question is will this be okay for him right now? My boyfriend and I are moving early June so I was hoping to wait until then to get a bigger cage Bc our room is so small rn and I want to be able to do it right. Any insite on this would be great, thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 11E4BD45-DFE6-4482-841C-59C334445F11.jpeg
    11E4BD45-DFE6-4482-841C-59C334445F11.jpeg
    200.5 KB · Views: 190
Hi there and welcome to the forum. Unfortunately no it will not work for him. You will need to make immediate upgrades or you will risk his health. If you could please fill out this form in detail and attach any images you have of the set up and your cham we can be of better assistance.

Since you were told to buy a 10 gallon tank I think it would be very helpful to you to have feedback from the form.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Hi there and welcome to the forum. Unfortunately no it will not work for him. You will need to make immediate upgrades or you will risk his health. If you could please fill out this form in detail and attach any images you have of the set up and your cham we can be of better assistance.

Since you were told to buy a 10 gallon tank I think it would be very helpful to you to have feedback from the form.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Thank you, I will fill out the form when I get home and can use my computer. As for the cage, I figured that might be the case. I just wanted to make sure before changing it in case it was okay. What size would you recommend for him at the size he is? (he’s a male veiled and I’ve had him for 3 weeks so he’s pretty young, not positive on age though) i don’t have a ton of room rn so I’m hoping to get something smaller for now but I’m going to upgrade as soon as I move either way.

Thank you, I will fill out the form when I get home and can use my computer. As for the cage, I figured that might be the case. I just wanted to make sure before changing it in case it was okay. What size would you recommend for him at the size he is? (he’s a male veiled and I’ve had him for 3 weeks so he’s pretty young, not positive on age though) i don’t have a ton of room rn so I’m hoping to get something smaller for now but I’m going to upgrade as soon as I move either way.
So honestly unless you want to have to buy multiple cages. I would recommend doing a 2ftx2ftx4ft tall . This would be his adult size and he would be just fine to go into that at his age. I am guessing that he is 3-4 months old by your pics. He will double in size in the next month and then again the month after. They grow at a rapid pace the first 6 months. There are quite a few things in the pics that are concerning.
The substrate is risking impaction not to mention the build up of bacteria. The lighting is incorrect as well. You will need a T5HO fixture with a 10.0 T5 bulb. So if you get the cage I recommended you need the 24 inch fixture and the bulbs are 22 inches. The uvb bulb that you are using is literally useless so this is an immediate need to upgrade.

When you get home fill out the form. We can go over every aspect to make sure you and your little man are on the right track and have a long life together. :)

If you dont mind buying another cage in a month or two, the 15x15 reptibreeze isnt too bad. But it costs almost as much as a 24x24 so I would just bite the bullet and make room.
There’s no point in buying smaller cages to “grow in”. Just buy or build what you plan on keeping him in the rest of his life. The XL reptibreeze (2x2x4 ft) is a minimum requirement. If you are handy, build one bigger, I’ve also heard of keepers building two and linking them together.

Just buy or build what you plan on keeping him in the rest od his life. I’ve also heard of keepers building two and linking them together.

I agree! We bought the smaller cages because we didn’t know any better and they were great for our tiny baby chams. Within two months they grew so much I ordered new everything. An expensive mistake not worth repeating. I do plan on repurposing my smaller cages for bugs, though.

The XL reptibreeze isn’t bad but for about the same money the DIYcage is aluminium vs plastic.

The short answer is no, you definitely cannot keep your chameleon in that fish tank. Even for short term, it is a tremendous health hazard. They have no ventilation whatsoever, which will very easily lead you to a respiratory infection and either loads of vet bills or a dead chameleon. I know moving is a hassle, but the health of the cham really needs to come first. Petco employees have no idea what they're talking about.

The short answer is no, you definitely cannot keep your chameleon in that fish tank. Even for short term, it is a tremendous health hazard. They have no ventilation whatsoever, which will very easily lead you to a respiratory infection and either loads of vet bills or a dead chameleon. I know moving is a hassle, but the health of the cham really needs to come first. Petco employees have no idea what they're talking about.

Does it make it any better that it’s the ZooMed Reptihabitat tropical starter kit? Full screen top and whatnot. So it’s not like there’s NO ventilation. (I’m not trying to argue or anything I’m simply curious. I’ve found a lot of different answers to this online which is why I resorted to asking this forum)

Does it make it any better that it’s the ZooMed Reptihabitat tropical starter kit? Full screen top and whatnot. So it’s not like there’s NO ventilation. (I’m not trying to argue or anything I’m simply curious. I’ve found a lot of different answers to this online which is why I resorted to asking this forum)
They don't provide enough ventilation. Chameleons are difficult or advanced because they require good ventilation, high humidity, and proper lighting all at once.

They don't provide enough ventilation. Chameleons are difficult or advanced because they require good ventilation, high humidity, and proper lighting all at once.

Okay, thank you. Like I said before I figured that might be the case so that’s why I’m on here! I’ll make sure to get him a new cage ASAP! Also, my boyfriend just texted me and he shed his skin for the first time since I’ve had him! And it went well so I’ll take that as I’m doing something right! Haha

Please be sure to fill out the help form when you can. As I said there are multiple issues that can be seen just from the pictures. While he may appear healthy right now. Chameleons do not outwardly show health issues until they are already declining. So it is important to make changes quickly with them.

What are your thoughts on this? (Until I can eventually build my own)

Attachments

• 9F1EBF03-26D5-4F4E-8E62-FC7E8D345F17.png
    9F1EBF03-26D5-4F4E-8E62-FC7E8D345F17.png
    1 MB · Views: 139
Not the LED model. They are not helpful.
16x16x36 is fine for now but You will need to do another upgrade by the time he is 6months old.

What’s “not helpful” about them ? I’m trying to understand the benefits/negatives of different cages. And yes I know I will have to upgrade, like I’ve said before I will be doing that either way in June.

What’s “not helpful” about them ? I’m trying to understand the benefits/negatives of different cages. And yes I know I will have to upgrade, like I’ve said before I will be doing that either way in June.
I don't like the red led lights. white LED lights are more natural. But the red I have heard bad things about. Plus that cage is more expensive and the led lighting won't help any. You need T5HO lighting with a 10.0 bulb and then the basking dome and bulb. No red bulbs for heat either.
This would be the adult size. And is on sale right now on Amazon for a great price https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-ReptiBreeze-Screen-48-Inches/dp/B001PHABI8/ref=sr_1_2?crid=155PR0DPJB9SR&keywords=extra+large+reptibreeze&qid=1555699723&s=gateway&sprefix=extra+large+repti,aps,600&sr=8-2

Last edited:
Okay so I went to every pet store in my area and the only thing I could find was the zoomed chameleon kit. And luckily the guy at PetSmart knew me and agreed the woman shouldn’t have sold me that kit and said I could return it! So that’s awesome. Here’s some pics of his updated home!

Attachments

• ECC74029-89A0-40BE-90EF-49F8043B1C58.jpeg
    ECC74029-89A0-40BE-90EF-49F8043B1C58.jpeg
    240.1 KB · Views: 127
  • 4789059B-6101-4DE5-BC46-692D4124ED0C.jpeg
    4789059B-6101-4DE5-BC46-692D4124ED0C.jpeg
    277.3 KB · Views: 120
  • 5A3740D2-83BC-446B-8275-F566F4C36FDD.jpeg
    5A3740D2-83BC-446B-8275-F566F4C36FDD.jpeg
    306.9 KB · Views: 114
Okay so I went to every pet store in my area and the only thing I could find was the zoomed chameleon kit. And luckily the guy at PetSmart knew me and agreed the woman shouldn’t have sold me that kit and said I could return it! So that’s awesome. Here’s some pics of his updated home!

It's an improvement, but still needs a lot of work :) Luckily, you're in the right place! Unfortunately you were already conned into buying the dreaded "chameleon kit," which is in fact pretty much useless besides the cage itself.

(1) Take out that green mat at the bottom of the enclosure. Those things are breeding ground for bacteria and if you leave it in there, your chameleon will get sick. Just a matter of time. Bare bottom enclosures are the way to go, unless you want to go the bioactive route.

(2) Needs like 3-4x as much, if not more, plant cover in there. It's much too bare for a chameleon to be comfortable. You should really add live plants (pothos, schefflera, ficus, for example) to increase humidity and also provide greenery for the cham to eat. They need a lot of places to hide or they will be stressed out 24/7, which leads to lowered immune systems and lifespans. Most importantly, you need to add thicker, horizontal branches spanning all the way from one side of the enclosure to the other. Multiple of them, at all levels of the enclosure. Chams need perches of varying diameters to properly stretch their feet muscles and those fake vines are rather flimsy. The thicker vines/bamboo are much too low to be useful for the chameleon. Also, are you keeping the cricket keeper in the enclosure? I would definitely not recommend that

(3) The UVB light you have is no good, either. This is the biggest problem with the kit. The compact bulbs do not distribute UVB well enough to keep your chameleon healthy. That light will lead to metabolic bone disease. What you need instead is a linear UVB light, like a reptisun or preferably and Arcadia

It's an improvement, but still needs a lot of work :) Luckily, you're in the right place! Unfortunately you were already conned into buying the dreaded "chameleon kit," which is in fact pretty much useless besides the cage itself.

(1) Take out that green mat at the bottom of the enclosure. Those things are breeding ground for bacteria and if you leave it in there, your chameleon will get sick. Just a matter of time. Bare bottom enclosures are the way to go, unless you want to go the bioactive route.

(2) Needs like 3-4x as much, if not more, plant cover in there. It's much too bare for a chameleon to be comfortable. You should really add live plants (pothos, schefflera, ficus, for example) to increase humidity and also provide greenery for the cham to eat. They need a lot of places to hide or they will be stressed out 24/7, which leads to lowered immune systems and lifespans. Most importantly, you need to add thicker, horizontal branches spanning all the way from one side of the enclosure to the other. Multiple of them, at all levels of the enclosure. Chams need perches of varying diameters to properly stretch their feet muscles and those fake vines are rather flimsy. The thicker vines/bamboo are much too low to be useful for the chameleon. Also, are you keeping the cricket keeper in the enclosure? I would definitely not recommend that

(3) The UVB light you have is no good, either. This is the biggest problem with the kit. The compact bulbs do not distribute UVB well enough to keep your chameleon healthy. That light will lead to metabolic bone disease. What you need instead is a linear UVB light, like a reptisun or preferably and Arcadia

Yes I know I need more plants but that’s what I could do in 1 afternoon given the lack of stores that sell anything for him. I couldn’t even find any thicker vines, the ones in there were all I could get right away. The chameleon kit, like I said, was literally the only option in both my town AND the one over. And I read somewhere else that the uvb light I have works relatively the same but I guess I’ll do a little more research. Also, that’s not my cricket keeper, that’s what I had put him in while I moved over the vines from the old cage and I put it in there so he could just climb out when he was ready. I was trying to stress him out as little as possible. I’ll be ordering more plants and vines online but won’t be able to get them until sometime next week. Thank you for the info!

Back
Top Bottom