Mouth rot?

I was just misting my chameleon and she drank the water as usual. Now she will not stop opening her mouth. Her mouth looks funny. Is there something wrong with her or is this what a normal mouth looks like? I am just worried about every little thing.

Is this picture in the right orientation? Is she facing up sitting on back legs keeping eyes closed? I am not familiar with Jackson's mouths but I will tell you that they should not sit in this position gaping with eyes closed. Have you filled out a help form? If not please fill this out with detail so that @JacksJill can look at it when she signs on.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Not sure if its mouth rot, temporal gland or respiratory infection but for sue you got bacterial infection here. Its probably due to your husbandry/feeding/history or general health (parasite by example or the way she's born) fill the form (how to ask for help) mentioned in the previous comment but she will need medication (perso.. Ceftazidine is my #1 choice with this kind of species followed by trim-sulfa so speak with your dr) .

SHe could have got aspirated if she took a full spritz to the mouth while open. The mouth looks fine other than the cheek. But there is no swelling or anything, and i bet that "stuff" does not wipe off and is part of a normal chameleon. Mouth rot typically has "cheese" that you have to wipe off around the gum line, and they usally drool and are a bit swelled.

humm i will add stuff encouraging you to fill the form and check with the vet..

from what I observe,

-she got cream kind fresh bacterial stuff in the temporal gland, I seen this on jacksonii/melleri (any animal with temporal gland.. corner or the mouth the little pouch.. where you can see creamy stuff)
-position is abnormal for swallowing mean she might actually struggle so maybe inflammation of the throat maybe aspiration but something off, can be due to hasard but if its frequent must take this in consideration
-saliva look kind of too thick so or she's dehydrated of she's sick or its only due to hazard
-nostril look mildly inflamed from the picture
-lips and inside of the mouth also look tiny inflamed

so maybe this is juste the picture but from the tiny info I got this is what I can tell you about your lady. If you want to fill the how to ask for help form and give more picture and historic (and start to look for a vet)

Back
Top Bottom