Mouth Rot

Bagheeras mom

0A0BF8A5-5E33-4AE4-8AC1-0777CFDAC1AE.jpeg
D618FDD5-609B-443D-BE9D-43F2A58B8125.jpeg
Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Male Ambilobe Panther. He’s supposed to be 5 mo. But I’ve been told he looks older. I’ve had him for a month now.

• Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Right now, once daily for meds.

• Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Feeding crickets mostly, Dubias and hornworms. I gut load with Repashy Superload, Total Bites and Dubia Chow. He gets approx 10 crickets a day, seems to eat most. Dubias and hornworms as treats once or twice a day if he’ll take them. Seems to be eating ok, good tongue action. I buy my feeders from lllreptiles. Weight at vet on Sept 28 was 93.00

• Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Dusting with Sticky Tongue outdoor daily, Sticky Tongue indoor once a week. That was recommended by the breeder I bought him from.

• Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • I live in Southern California in a dry area so I’m really concerned with hydration. I have a monsoon mister, 2 nozzles, one on each side of cage. Timer is set for 20 sec every 2 hours during the day. I use a dripper all day. Also a fogger on all day. I haven’t seen him drink but urates look white. I use purified bottled water for all.

• Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • Poo is moist, dark, with white rates. He has not been tested for parasites.

• History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
  • I previously had a similar Cham for 3 years. Lost him approx 6 months ago. Was taking to reputable reptile vet for treatment. After he passed vet did necropsy but couldn’t find anything but slightly enlarged kidney.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Cage is 24x24x36, screened. I have holes in the bottom for drainage into a container underneath. Bottom of cage and drainage container get cleaned daily.

• Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Using 65 watt bulb for basking, added a red (don’t remember wattage) for extra heat but not more brightness. 22” Arcadia T5 24w 12% D3+ uvb tube. I use a timer set to have lights and mister come on at 7:30 am and off at 8:00 pm.

• Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • I have a digital probe at basking spot, usually 87-90ish. Front of cage is around 80ish by analog thermometer dial gauge. Overnight temps are approx 70ish.

• Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Via analog hydrometer dial gauge, humidity is between 30%-70%. Mostly around 50%. I create the humidity with mister and fogger.

• Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • I have mostly plastic and silk plants (reptile approved, bought from lllreptile) I also have a live ficus Benjamina that sets under the dripper.

• Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Cage is in corner of living room where we can watch him. He is close to a closed air vent. It’s just my husband and myself so not much traffic. Top of cage is 6.5 ft off floor.

• Location - Where are you geographically located?
  • I’m in Southern California, USA

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
I took Tana to vet for a check up since I had recently aquired him. He was diagnosed with mouth rot. Vet gave him a vitamin and antibiotic injections. I’ve been giving Batril daily. I have another appt next Friday for follow up. It’s difficult to get him to open his mouth for the meds. I’ve tried holding him on his back and different directions. He’s gotten smart to that, he won’t open his mouth anymore for me. He did open for a second yesterday, mouth looked to have stringy saliva on one side. Hadn’t noticed that before. What can I do to get his mouth open for meds? What changes do I need to make to better care for him?
Avitar is my previous Cham.

Hi, and welcome to the forum. I don't see anything wrong with your guy in the pics. Maybe my untrained and inexperienced eye is missing something?

Pinching/rubbing both sides of a cham's mouth always works for me.

On a separate note, are you supplying him with multivitamins? I'm not familiar with sticky tongue supplements, so excuse my statement if they contain multivitamins.

Thanks for the suggestions to open his mouth. He doesn’t seem to respond to that anymore. Last night I injected the batril into a hornworm. He ate that. He LOVES hornworms.

The sticky tongue miner-all has calcium, manganese, zinc, iron, copper, iodine, magnesium and selenium. The indoor also has D3.
Should he have more vitamins?

If you have a person to help you, one can hold him still and the other can gently use their fingernail to pull the lower jaw down and open the mouth.
If fear is an issue use a paper clip (preferably the plastic coated kind) to pull the jaw down. You can wrap it in cloth tape to make it softer if you don't have the coated kind. Don't break his teeth on the metal.

Minerals are good but Sticky TF also makes a multivitamin to go with the minerals. Their product info states that they work better if not packed together. Meh? It certainly sells more product if sold separately. He will need a multivitamin twice a month.

Minerals are good but Sticky TF also makes a multivitamin to go with the minerals. Their product info states that they work better if not packed together. Meh? It certainly sells more product if sold separately. He will need a multivitamin twice a month.

Thanks, I’ll pick up some multivitamins tomorrow.

Hi all, update on Tana.
I’ve been injecting a hornworm a day with the batril from the vet for mouth rot.
I got him to open his mouth today for a pic. Looks very yellow to me.
We have a follow up appt with vet this Friday.
I’ve read in the forum that some chams have yellow mouths. Does this look normal? It wasn’t this yellow 2 weeks ago. Is there something else I should address with the vet?

Attachments

• 75F1CE05-67B7-44FA-9A97-93C33695E8DE.jpeg
    75F1CE05-67B7-44FA-9A97-93C33695E8DE.jpeg
    199.3 KB · Views: 211
  • 7AC85741-F213-41BC-8A6C-98C030EEEE8E.jpeg
    7AC85741-F213-41BC-8A6C-98C030EEEE8E.jpeg
    376.1 KB · Views: 181
I don't own a panther but I cannot see anything wrong in the before photos from your first photos or in the newest photos. I could be totally wrong but he looks normal. Obviously your vet would know best but I just don't see an issue. @Matt Vanilla Gorilla has seen plenty of Panthers so if he thinks it looks normal I would feel better but obviously these are just suggestions and what your vet says goes.

Beautiful chameleon but he looks a little upset about life!
Ya, he was upset. Haven't been handling him much, want to stress him as little as possible while he isnt feeling well. He gets defensive when i put the camera that close to him. Just took a couple pics then left him alone. When I know he's feeling better Ill post some happier pics.
Thanks for your observations Matt.

Back
Top Bottom