mouth open and releasing air

lheffer1

Is it normal for a cham to sit with their mouth open? Sometimes she sits with her mouth open and looks like she is gagging. She releases air like a hiss too. What is that?

Is it normal for a cham to sit with their mouth open? Sometimes she sits with her mouth open and looks like she is gagging. She releases air like a hiss too. What is that?

If she's not directly under the basking light or showing pale light colors (signs of overheating) it could be a respiratory infection starting. A cham with respiratory problems will tend to sit dark colored under heat not moving much, not eating or drinking, gulping air over and over, gaping, snout tipped straight up, and often a lot of sticky saliva showing in the mouth.

What wattage bulb are u using? Are u using a dig therm? If not get one asap! How old is this cham? You dont want to cook your chameleon. If you cant get a new bulb today then at least move it up sveral inches that will help. If this is a juvi cham you should be using reg old 60 watt light bulb for heat.

Are u using a temp probe and a thermommeter/Hygrometer? Go get one from lowes or hd for 12 bux. I guarantee your basking spot is over 90 degrees if your using a 100 watt bulb. Drop the wattage and take temps at the basking spot and in other areas of cage to get ambient temp also. Vets often dont know the specifics of husbandry for chams. Some do but most don't.

she is a year old and the vet told me to keep her enclosure at 80-90. She has a 100 watt basking light

100 watts gives off a lot of heat, you should probably lower the wattage. Try a 40 watt bulb and see what temp range you get with it. What type of chameleon is she?

I keep my basking light 6-7" from the vine my cham is on. With a 60 watt bulb my spot ranges between 83-85. It was 80-83 til the weather warmed up this week. So you either need to raise that light about a 12-16" or just go get another bulb. like .50 cents. You should really go to the health forum and fill out the page on how to ask for help. So we can get an idea of your husbandry. These are broad parameters we are dealing in. I dont know what the relative temp of your home is. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom