more eggs!!! this time melleri!!!

pamnsam94

Established Member
Not more than 1/2 hr ago, I went to feed my gravid melleri, and look what I found! I tried to sneek the camera around the edge of the enclosure to take a few shots, but she still saw it. :D I haven't even posted yet about buying the pair not long before Christmas. This Mozambique pair was advertised as a "breeding pair" and I know they bred multiple time over the period of a week. I know how long it can take to aquire a compatible pair of melleri. Since the pics of them, including one of them breeding, looked good (the pair looked healthy, etc.), and since I wanted a guaranteed pair, I took a chance. Now, let's hope the eggs will hatch and produce strong neonates.

Perry

In my excitement, I forgot to post a pic. :D

Attachments

• melleri laying.jpg
    melleri laying.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 232
Congrats, that quite an achievement!

Great picture of her laying... She is adorable with her face all covered in dirt... bless her heart

Congrats, that quite an achievement!

Great picture of her laying... She is adorable with her face all covered in dirt... bless her heart

Thanks, but she did all the work, digging and all. ;) Seriously though, there is no achievement on my part. As I mentioned, I bought the pair after they had bred. Definitely call me lucky though. I'm lucky to get a guaranteed pair, especially a compatible pair. Being in the right place at the right time is definitely a key sometimes. About a decade ago, I bought a very noticeably gravid melleri at a reptile show, she looked like a bag of marbles. The vendor was mostly a snake person, and I'm guessing he simply did not want to deal with eggs. Although she was WC, it was one of the best WC melleri I had ever seen. She practically looked CB. She ended up laying about 70 eggs. I don't know how many eggs I'll get from this female yet (still haven't named her), but it won't be near that many. Given the fact that she has only gained 16 grams from the first time I weighed her, does anyone care to venture a guess as to how many eggs she might lay? I'm really hoping her appetite will increase once she lays. She is well hydrated, but she usually only takes a single feeder a day (usually a Dubia roach or a hornworm).

Thanks to everyone for the good wishes. Just like with quads, we need more CB melleri. :) I'm wondering whether the prices on WC melleri will go through the roof in the not too distant future. It's probably wishful thinking, but I hope melleri will become somewhat established in captivity before it's too late for many of us to work with them.

Perry

Congrats! Hope they hatch strong and healty! My panther laid 20 eggs and lost 20g, so that was 1g per egg, don't know about melleri though ;)

You should add some sand to the dirt next time. It looks like the tunnel is calapsing. I had a female that wouldnt lay in those condition, luckily you did. congrats.

Wow congratulations!!!!! Thats a big deal right there! Best of luck with them.

Incubation time is relatively short since females carry the eggs for the majority of the time correct?

Perry you have been holding out on me. I am so happy you have the mellers you wanted. And I am thrilled you have eggs. Let me know how many and how they are doing.

Back
Top Bottom