Montane Pygmy Terrarium

Champhibians

Im building a terrarium for my montane pygmys that are comming soon. All I have left to do is add eco-earth, sticks, and moss. I used about 2in of hydrotron, then I used about an inch of orchid charcole seeded with springtails. I wanted to wait to see if everyone thought this looked good. So here it goes let me know what you think. Or if I need to change anything before I add the eco-earth.
SNB10872.jpg

SNB10871.jpg

SNB10870.jpg

SNB10867.jpg

SNB10865.jpg

intresting, its almost the exact same set up as dart frogs,

also, are all your plants safe, one looks like diefennbrachia

It's my understanding that Montanus/Rhampholeon acuminatus like to climb.
So, vertical screen cages can be or should used.
It also could depend on age.
Are these guys adults?
Are they coming from Justyn?
I'd clear that up with him, first.

EDIT* Cage looks great for most other pygmy species.

Last edited:
intresting, its almost the exact same set up as dart frogs,

also, are all your plants safe, one looks like diefennbrachia

Good call on that it is a diefennbrachia, these are not the exact plants I am going to use for it. I took some cutting out of my other pygmy tanks. Just waiting for them to root. But the pots are the same size. So I can just have it set up and change out here in a week when they come.

Yea I dont think pygmys eat plants. I did use alot of toxic plants in my first pygmy cage.(not knowing what I was doing) And I switched them out about a year later after I found out they were toxic and 2 out of the 3 are still roaming around. But I by no means am saying to use toxic plants. Just not to sure of the side effects on pygmys.

Looks good, and like stated before, the dumbcane might be problematic. I personally happen to love using ferns of various species, not really sure why. Kangaroo paw fern has always worked well for me. Just be sure to ada some branches.

As for climbing, some animals do, some don't, from the group I have.

Last edited:
dieffenbrachia is known as dumb cane. it can cause a tingling sensation in large animals and humans if consumed.

in smaller animals it can cause death.

if you break the leaves or the stalks, a milky substance is inside which will cause extreme skin irritation.

it is probably one of the most dangerous house plants you can buy for you animals next to poinsetta.

Good deal, like I said I am not going to be replaceing over half of the plants. All of the other plants I have rooting, I know are safe. It was just a quick wall-mart grab. But here is my next question for you, how do they avoid toxic plants in the wild? any thoughts

If it is for acuminatus, I prefer screen cages(24"x 18"x 24").
And do not keep them to warm. They prefer colder conditions like other pygmy's. Put some branches with moss in the cage allong with plants. Use normal sand as substrate and put again some moss on it. My acu have lay there eggs in the moss.
Spray 2 to 3 times a day, but do not make the terrarium in to a swamp. ;)
They also like to take a sunbad in the morning, the rest of the day they searching for food in the terraium.
That is my personal opinion about this species.
Maybe others have a nother opinion...

Rgds

poinsettia and dieffenbachia toxicity

dieffenbrachia is known as dumb cane. it can cause a tingling sensation in large animals and humans if consumed.

in smaller animals it can cause death.

if you break the leaves or the stalks, a milky substance is inside which will cause extreme skin irritation.

it is probably one of the most dangerous house plants you can buy for you animals next to poinsetta.

While Dieffenbachia sp are poisonous, their poison is due to calcium oxalate crystals, which cause mechanical irritation to the mucous membranes when the plan is chewed and swallowed. Clinical signs typically consist of hypersalivation, vomiting, and inflammation of the mucous membranes. The only way that it could cause death is if an animal aspirated vomitus or saliva and developed aspiration pneumonia.

Poinsettia is not toxic at all, contrary to popular belief. The only adverse effects ever reported after ingestion of poinsettia is mild GI upset.

There are several articles written about this in several journals, including Vet Clinics of North America Small Animal Practice, Seminars in Avian and Exotic Pet Medicine, JAVMA, among others. Jill Richardson, a veterinary toxicologist who works with the ASPCA also has written many atricles/chapters on toxicity in animals that may be helpful to finding non-toxic plants to plan in your enclosure.

I would keep it humid but not swampy and ofcoarse some kind of ventilation like a small fan the that will just create air movement not a breeze. Even a fan that pulls air would be great.

Back
Top Bottom