Monstera plant safety

Lindasjackson

Chameleon Enthusiast
Is a Swiss cheese aka monstera plant safe for chams? I found a nice big one at Walmart along with a money tree that I bought today and just want to be sure it’s safe to use for him to climb on. I want to take him outside this summer and he could sit on that while I sit next to him if it’s safe. My guy is a Jackson’s so he won’t eat it.

The swiss cheese is a different aroid plant than monstera. The swiss cheese will vine and tend to stay smaller like pothos or philodendron, a monsters will climb and develop large leaves and throw Arial roots out of its main stem.

There are other common names for plants that refer them to monstera just want to make sure we are talking about the same plants. As monstera will typically outgrow the enclosure and shade out mich of the enclosure once the plant is mature the leaves are larger than your face/ head.

the tag on the plant says both Swiss cheese and monstera so I don’t know which it is. I’ll add a picture of it. I just need to know if it’s safe for him to climb on it or is it poisoness?

Attachments

• IMG_0052.jpeg
    IMG_0052.jpeg
    413.3 KB · Views: 59
It's a true monstera , should be a ok for them to climb on just about as safe as pothos.

It will take well to a moss pole or a trellis of sorts

Since I live in Maine I can’t leave it outside year round. In the fall it will have to live inside, probably in my chams enclosure.

The swiss cheese is a different aroid plant than monstera. The swiss cheese will vine and tend to stay smaller like pothos or philodendron, a monsters will climb and develop large leaves and throw Arial roots out of its main stem.

There are other common names for plants that refer them to monstera just want to make sure we are talking about the same plants. As monstera will typically outgrow the enclosure and shade out mich of the enclosure once the plant is mature the leaves are larger than your face/ head.

Swiss cheese plant usually refers to either Monstera Deliciosa or Monstera Adansonii. If you have a photo I can help with ID. They are both aroids and both Monstera. Aroids typically vine and climb, including Adansonii and Deliciosa. The leaves will get more mature and significantly larger as they climb a tree, or a pole in the home garden

the tag on the plant says both Swiss cheese and monstera so I don’t know which it is. I’ll add a picture of it. I just need to know if it’s safe for him to climb on it or is it poisoness?

This is Monstera Deliciosa. It is safe for an enclosure but it is, in my opinion, too large a plant for a typical enclosure. It outgrew my 2x4x6 very quickly. Give it a bamboo stick or moss pole and the leaves will mature much faster and tidier.

Swiss cheese plant usually refers to either Monstera Deliciosa or Monstera Adansonii. If you have a photo I can help with ID. They are both aroids and both Monstera. Aroids typically vine and climb, including Adansonii and Deliciosa. The leaves will get more mature and significantly larger as they climb a tree, or a pole in the home garden
Would a Swiss cheese plant be safe for them? I have several of them around my house so I would like to know.

Back
Top Bottom