Money Saving Tip on Water Crystals!!!

KYchamguy

For those out there who keep alot of feeders on hand for these critters, I have found a cheap source of water crystals at LOWES or any other nursery center. It is called SOIL MOIST and it is used by plant nurseries and floral shops and is fertilizer free. At lowes it is around $13.00 for a 1lb container which is a whole lot of water crystals. These crystals are the same as any other out there! Just thought I would share! Anyone else use these?

Soil Moist?

I have sold this stuff for years, and I know its non-toxic, but I'm not sure its *good* to eat. I confirmed with the manufacturer that it is harmless if ingested when wet, and brakes down in the gut. JRM Chemical

I guess I just don't feel good feeding lots of this polymer to my animals. I use vegetables and water with a plastic pad in it. YMMV.

Soil moist is the same as Flukers but without the food coloring. I got this tip from a cricket breeder who has been using this for years.

Same here, I have been using this stuff for several years. I use it to feed my cricket and roaches - one bag will last a looooooong time.

My insects (roaches, crickets, mealworms, superworms) have always done great with fresh veggies and fruit for moisture. Seems like I'd rather see that going into my insects and chams than some wierd chemical gel.

What is the purpose of using this instead of fresh veggies or fruit?

I found that the health of my crickets increased significantly once I started using this. I still give them veggies but having the crystals as a primary source of liquids really made the difference. I think this is due to the ratio of water to mass being significantly higher that what they get from the veggies.

This is just a suggestion for the people out there who buy water crystals already for their feeders. It will save on the cashola!!!! I of course feed my crickets mainly veggies but also use these water crystals for extra hydration.

Really? I know they have something like that but you can just rehydrate them. You can't do that to the water crystals can you?

Yup, you can. Thats what makes "Soil Moist" effective in potted plants. They release their water and when you water again they rehydrate.

yes you can re-hydrate them. Water crystals are also used in humidifiers you place inside acoustic guitars. You just keep refilling it with water once it all evaporates. which begs the question: is there anything water crystals can't do!?!?

For those who are extra cheap I like to add water to the stored tub-bigger volume=longer lasting:D
Also if you want to put some more water crystal in with your feeders DONT just take a spray bottle and spray the crystals that are left(if not already dirty). The crystals will soak up the water! brilliant:)

I used water crystals with feeders all the time. But is it cheaper to get it this way or in larger bulk quantities?

which begs the question: is there anything water crystals can't do!?!?
Turn into gold. OH!

you can also mix calcium in the water befor putting the beads in then it is the sam as fluckers they also use them in shipping to soak up moister

Aren't water crystals great! I think its way cheaper to buy water crystals as soil moist! You can get multiple quantities shipped to your door from lots of websites, just google Soil Moist. You can even get a 55 gallon drum of this stuff if you want. Anyways, I just see lots of people buying water crystals from someone who just originally bought a few pounds of soil moist and is selling it at a higher price and thought I would let ALL know the secret for a fair game!!!...lol

Back
Top Bottom