Mold in my fruit flies ?

Cait0420

I've noticed a large amount of mold in the bottom of one of my fruit fly cultures. Should I just throw it out or can I still feed them the flies?

Personally, I'd toss them. I can't imagine mold would be a good thing to have around food I'm giving to my cham.

That's what I thought I just wasn't sure cuz don't fruit flies love moldy crap? Lol. Their gone

Toss it. Fruit flies like fermenting media not moldy media. The mold spores aren't good for you or the little ones. Also the longer a culture is in use the greater chances mites will show up.

Carl

If moldy, toss it and get another.

You can get culture that are already started, with the ff's and media already in the container.
Most ff media has a mold inhiditer added, but if not, you can add a few drops of white vinager to the mixture.

Somewhere in canada so I don't have to pay a huge shipping fee. I'm new to ff and have only been getting them for a few weeks so I'm not well versed in 'mold inhibitor'

I don't have mold issue's with my cultures. I use a 50/50 water and vinegar mix.

Carl

I don't know if I'd add it to a already made culture. Start making your own cultures and save some $$$.

Carl

Ok I'll find the recipe for the stuff at the bottom. What is the stuff they climb on? And do I just take a few fruit flies from an older culture to get them to breed? Any info on how to do it would be great! Thanks!

You use a lot of things for them to climb on but I like excelsior the best. You can get it at craft stores. They sell it in big bags.

Yep just add flies from the already running culture. Depending on temperature you'll have new flies in a week or two. I like to set up new cultures every few weeks so I have a steady supply. Usually after a culture produces its second or third big burst of flies I'll throw it away.

Carl

Somewhere in canada so I don't have to pay a huge shipping fee. I'm new to ff and have only been getting them for a few weeks so I'm not well versed in 'mold inhibitor'

I get it from Mantisplace.com, but it is in the US. Look at the website for the chemical name, and Googleit!:D

Nick

check out www.superflies.ca. They are a Canadian company and their prices are good. I have 1 culture from them right now for my babies and its reproducing really well. Their shipping is a BIT steep, but if you ordered a few cultures at a time it would be worth it.

Back
Top Bottom