modified dripper for tongueless cham - working well

little leaf

Avid Member
I am not really sure if this goes here, or in health, or cages - mods please move if needed -
so , anyway- I have been working with the little guy, watering him has been an issue as far as getting enough into him - I would mist the cage, and he would run after the drops, but not getting near what he needed - and he would bite the plants trying to get more water, I could tell he was really thirsty, but he just would not drink from the drip tube, he would watch the water, and try to drink from a milk cap, but he could not "slurp" the water - so he got really nothing. I watched him all day- it was like he knew the dripper was gong to choke him- the drips were not to fast, just to big - so I kept watching him biting at the plants - I came up with this- I took one of the fake plants, and pulled the tip off- so I had the little part that has the hole in it- and it fits just perfect and tight into the supply line - a wooden skewer will push it in - the little hole in the plant restricts the water just enough, and the plant then lets many smaller drops of water cascade off of it - he drank and drank and drank - you can see in his eye, this is the first time it looks hydrated - and his urates are finally a nice white :) he must really like it- this is him sleeping right under, really IN it :D he looks so much better today , still a skinny little thing- but we are working on that ;)

Attachments

• 038.jpg
    038.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 220
  • 035.JPG
    035.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 243
  • 034.JPG
    034.JPG
    160.5 KB · Views: 164
  • 029.JPG
    029.JPG
    105 KB · Views: 190
  • 040.JPG
    040.JPG
    149.1 KB · Views: 160
I saw where someone trained their chameleons to drink from a hamster water bottle. Don't know exactly how effective it would be without a tongue but that may be worth a shot for an extra water supply

Great system - his improvement is great too- it's very noticeable in his picture.
I had a chameleon who drank from a hamster bottle way back when I didn't know any better - he used his tongue to lick the ball - He didn't really need to be taught- but I'm not sure how it would work with your guy -
What you do with all your rescues it so amazing...

they are the Flukers bend-a-branch - I love them :)

Thank you!! I need something different. I have some that I don't like at all, they shed green synthetic crap. I know its on there because they think it gives them grip but its disgusting.

By the way, I was thinking, this modified dripper looks like an awesome idea for any cham. Do you think? I like trying to hide the "parts" of stuff like tubing to make it look more natural.

So glad it works for your little no tongue!

they are great, and they come in dif/ size as far as how thick, and how long, really grippy and strong - this is a dif/ cage, but you can bend them to make cup feeder holder too - very strong !! and makes for excellent " drive by shootings" - lol
I think that dripper would work for anyone - the only thing I would watch- or do , remember, he is still weak - I would be sure your cham can not pull it out of the tube- but this one is in pretty darn tight ! :)

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    138.2 KB · Views: 114
Back
Top Bottom