Mistking successssssssssssssssss

Asour89

Established Member
So, I finally got my mistking set up and running. I was only misting by hand all day every day. since I work from home it really wasn’t that big of a deal. I decided I was tired of misting By hand and Saturdays I try to get out of the house. I never see my Chamaeleon drink, but you can tell that she is fully hydrated. Today was the first trial run for the mistking, she just sat there in the mist, & THEN she started drinking ! It made me so happy. I know she probably was drinking when I wasn’t looking or getting enough hydration from the humidity, but just to see her physically drink was the greatest. I am Already so happy about my new investment! I am sure my Chamaeleon’s will be too!

Does it automatically shut off when there is no water?
I just had my Monsoon die after only owning it 6 weeks. I had to be away, and the person in charge put it on full ON mode instead of cycle until it flooded and eventually died.
It wasn’t cheap, but I thought it was a savings over the MistKing. Now I’m not so sure.
I don’t have much money but my next mister needs to have an automatic shutdown if it’s dry... in case I’m not around .

I just had my Monsoon die after only owning it 6 weeks. I had to be away, and the person in charge put it on full ON mode instead of cycle until it flooded and eventually died.
It wasn’t cheap, but I thought it was a savings over the MistKing. Now I’m not so sure.
I don’t have much money but my next mister needs to have an automatic shutdown if it’s dry... in case I’m not around .
It says it can run dry but I try to avoid it. I used a two gallon food grade bucket and try to refill it before it gets to that point. Mistking is 1000xs better than monsoon just make sure you get the right timer for your needs I regret getting the rct it makes me do more math than I'd like to. The seconds timer is likely the preferred one. Rct you set how long you want it to run and how long you want it off and that's it it just repeats seems straight forward but it was listed as an upgrade so I splurged on it and definitely didn't need it.

Also congrats and welcome to the good life @Asour89

Last edited:
Mistking states they can be run dry without a problem but I wouldn't do it intentionally. Get yourself a 2-5 gallon covered container to draw from and only use RO or distilled water.

I’m not going to do it intentionally, but I need to get something that I can have a family member or petsitter check on without too much risk of breaking it.

I’m not going to do it intentionally, but I need to get something that I can have a family member or petsitter check on without too much risk of breaking it.
I don't know how much your misting but if your going through 2-5 gallons in less than a week I'd be shocked. Dump some fresh water in the bucket and your refilled. Easy peazzey

Oh I can go through a lot of water with 4 cages. I plan to scale my mistings back while I am on vacation to reduce water usage. Not a ton, but enough to conserve a bit of water to reduce risk of running out.

I can easily drain a 5 gallon bucket in 2-3 days.

@snitz427 Yeahi kinda put my foot in my mouth , or keyboard more appropriately.... I kind of injected my own 1 cage set up into the water needs of 2-5 lasting a week 4 cages definitely burns through a bucket much quicker

Not at all. Just saying if you are concerned, you can scale back a little. I think I will drop to 2 mins in morning and 1 min at night, which is half what I am set to now. Still enough for hydration and plants. It doesnt rain everyday in Madagascar so cutting them down to 3 mins a day shouldnt be a problem.

I have a 5-gallon bucket hooked up to mine. I think that’s what caught my attention the most. I have one of those Primo refillable buckets, which is the RO water am I just fill up the bucket with that. So far, it’s fantastic. I have the starter and it came with everything needed, except a little ex tubing. I read al kinds of reviews before I decided on which expensive mister to buy. This one had the best reviews.

I have a 5-gallon bucket hooked up to mine. I think that’s what caught my attention the most. I have one of those Primo refillable buckets, which is the RO water am I just fill up the bucket with that. So far, it’s fantastic. I have the starter and it came with everything needed, except a little ex tubing. I read al kinds of reviews before I decided on which expensive mister to buy. This one had the best reviews.

It’s definitely the one I’d like... just whenever I think I have money some kind of car repair or other similar crap comes in and wipes it out. Maybe in a couple of months.

Ya no, you are totally good. I went on Vacay with one mine hooked to a Plant Viv for 2 weeks forgetting to refill it. Still works, and that wasnt the first or last time that happened. They are Tanks, all of them not just MK, just all Diaphragm Pumps (that are of good quality).

My Grandfather used one as a Weedsprayer, thing. 12 years later it still works like the day he put it together.

Not at all. Just saying if you are concerned, you can scale back a little. I think I will drop to 2 mins in morning and 1 min at night, which is half what I am set to now. Still enough for hydration and plants. It doesnt rain everyday in Madagascar so cutting them down to 3 mins a day shouldnt be a problem.

About everyday to every other day during the 6.5 month wet season (Its 40%-74% chance depending on time of year, during wet season, and it ramps up fast) and about once a week in dry season. Where panthers are mostly located.

I seen a good way from a Parsons breeder that I thought was good. He misted everyday, in the morning and night. Then During the Wet Season (Summer) He misted for a long time in the middle of the day, every other day. Then during the Dry Season (Winter) he did the long mist once a week.

The Long mist was more for showering, cleaning eyes ect, than it was for hydration, that schedule was using the nighttime humidity ECT.

I would suggest turning the basking light off, before the misting like 30mins, as well. Not because misting during the day is going to cause an RI (Which I dont know about...) but because it will give the Cham a heads up, its about to spray water on him, especially if you can Dim the lights.

The Natural Cues, or Rain, is a large part of my big Viv project.

Last edited:
Ive thought about doing the same. A randomly scheduled mist schedule with different durations, timed with lights, but it will have to wait until I return. Parson’s obviously need much more rain, but I think varying the schedule might be a bit more naturalistic.

I spot check the weeks weather forcast for Nosy Be, just to get an idea of what they might naturally see. I wouldn’t have rhe heart to leave my guys intentionally without water for a day, but I don’t think there is any issue with scaling back mist times for a week of vacation.

Ive thought about doing the same. A randomly scheduled mist schedule with different durations, timed with lights, but it will have to wait until I return. Parson’s obviously need much more rain, but I think varying the schedule might be a bit more naturalistic.

I spot check the weeks weather forcast for Nosy Be, just to get an idea of what they might naturally see. I wouldn’t have rhe heart to leave my guys intentionally without water for a day, but I don’t think there is any issue with scaling back mist times for a week of vacation.

Random would be cool, but that would require a pretty hefty amount of programming and knowledge of making your own Vivarium Controller.

There is some that can simulate lighting on weather patterns, like the Bluefish that you could set to NosyBe and have the weather recreated. However it would be on a different time schedule, so wouldn't work. Even then it doesn't offer mister outlets, and random of that nature might be a little extreme.

Neptune Apex can do it. The price is extreme however.

I had thought about it, the Apex price is a hard pill to swallow though. So at minium you would need the EL (the junior is no more, and would have been a better deal for us) which I think has the temp probe, at 500. You would need to add the lighting module, for another 100 I believe.

It does have the benefit of being an Everything timer with a thermostat, and lighting controller.

If you went that route, you could make a few "Storm" programs, at certain times per day, and then set a probability for each, and you can program different ones for different times of the year. The "Storm" programs, can start by turning off the basking light, then slowly set the lights into a dim, off their normal schedule, turn on the misters (or rain system) and then slowly return everything to normal. However we are talking 600+ dollars to make all that happen.

Oh I was just planning on using the built in 10 programs to set up “random” programs. Skme would need to repeat but I could randomize (sort of) a different mist time each evening.

Loveeeeeee it.

Attachments

• C45B1CFC-87D8-43BD-AD15-425AEA6A28F9.jpeg
    C45B1CFC-87D8-43BD-AD15-425AEA6A28F9.jpeg
    178.4 KB · Views: 84
It’s just a positive displacement pump so yeah runs dry. Doesn’t reprime though...but if the question is “what happens to this thing when it’s pumping air”...the answer is nothing. There’s no friction or heat issues.

I just installed mine and test ran it dry for 5 min, no worries, no noises or shaking. But put it on a timer, keep the bucket reasonably full...what’s the worry?

Mistking question: Being in Tampa area, our power glitches with all the storms (I'm constantly restting the microwave clock!). Does the timer keep it's memory during a power glitch?

Back
Top Bottom