MistKing Reservoir Bucket Size?

Klyde O'Scope

Chameleon Enthusiast
Assembling a MistKing starter system for a double-sized (48 x 24 x 48 nom) enclosure, I have no frigging idea how much distilled water I'll be going through per day or week or whatever, so I'm not sure how big a bucket to get for the reservoir.

5 gal for drainage seems ok. I'm hoping I'll only have to empty it (using the drainage water for other houseplants) once per week, but if it's more than that—fine. Missus & I would have trouble handling anything larger.

But the supply reservoir... Will I need another 5 gal. bucket, or can I get away with 4 gal—or even 2 gal? This is more of a size/footprint/real estate issue than weight, as it's going to have to sit on Missus' plant table next to the enclosure.

I know the short answer is, "It depends," but ambient conditions are rm temp 68-74F; 50% RH, which I would think is pretty average.

What size reservoir are you using (if you have a 24 x 24 x 48, I'll just double it for a ballpark idea) and how often do you fill it (in gallons per how often)?

THX.

Assembling a MistKing starter system for a double-sized (48 x 24 x 48 nom) enclosure, I have no frigging idea how much distilled water I'll be going through per day or week or whatever, so I'm not sure how big a bucket to get for the reservoir.

5 gal for drainage seems ok. I'm hoping I'll only have to empty it (using the drainage water for other houseplants) once per week, but if it's more than that—fine. Missus & I would have trouble handling anything larger.

But the supply reservoir... Will I need another 5 gal. bucket, or can I get away with 4 gal—or even 2 gal? This is more of a size/footprint/real estate issue than weight, as it's going to have to sit on Missus' plant table next to the enclosure.

I know the short answer is, "It depends," but ambient conditions are rm temp 68-74F; 50% RH, which I would think is pretty average.

What size reservoir are you using (if you have a 24 x 24 x 48, I'll just double it for a ballpark idea) and how often do you fill it (in gallons per how often)?

THX.
It depends on how many nozzles your running and how long each day...

I run 4 on my big atrium and 2 on my medium tall atrium. I have one of these in my cabinet below and it holds a little more then a gallon of water. I fill this each day. I go through about 7 gallons a week. I am misting a total of 7 minutes each day. I would say about 3/4 of a gallon a day is what I am actually using for 6 nozzles.

So it would depend on how often you want to fill it. I don't happen to like my water sitting in the bin for long periods of time. I would rather add more often instead. So it is always fresh.

I would go with 5gal, if you can. I know sometimes it just doesn't fit. I run a total of about 16 mins a day with 3 sprayer heads. I have a 5 gal storage bin, flat sides are easier to get a good seal on the bulk head. So it lasts about 4 days, but that is really only about 3 gals, as it isn't filled to the top, and doesn't reach full bottom.

It is not exact, but it gives an idea. The good thing is Mistking can run dry so you do not need to be overly concerned about your reservoir running out if you go with a smaller size.

also you live where it is hot correct ? I have been thinking of cooling ideas for night time. I have friends and family in AZ and Las Vegas that want chams, so I have been working on this as well.

I would go with 5gal, if you can. I know sometimes it just doesn't fit. I run a total of about 16 mins a day with 3 sprayer heads. I have a 5 gal storage bin, flat sides are easier to get a good seal on the bulk head. So it lasts about 4 days, but that is really only about 3 gals, as it isn't filled to the top, and doesn't reach full bottom.

It is not exact, but it gives an idea. The good thing is Mistking can run dry so you do not need to be overly concerned about your reservoir running out if you go with a smaller size.

also you live where it is hot correct ? I have been thinking of cooling ideas for night time. I have friends and family in AZ and Las Vegas that want chams, so I have been working on this as well.
Yeah that was why I liked mine because of the flat sides. Even using the exact drill bit I had issues getting a water tight seal just with the flat surface I did not want to chance it with a round one lol. I played the over tighten and under tighten game for about 20 minutes until I found the spot.

Yeah that was why I liked mine because of the flat sides. Even using the exact drill bit I had issues getting a water tight seal just with the flat surface I did not want to chance it with a round one lol. I played the over tighten and under tighten game for about 20 minutes until I found the spot.

I had discus fish for years, they need constant fresh water, so I have learned a thing or two about floods lol.
This is the first house I haven't flooded lol.

So it would depend on how often you want to fill it. I don't happen to like my water sitting in the bin for long periods of time. I would rather add more often instead. So it is always fresh.
Normally, I would expect to... let's say "replenish" every 1-2 days, but if ? happens (as it is wont to do), and "filling" gets me an extra day or 2, I wouldn't be upset.

I would say about 3/4 of a gallon a day is what I am actually using for 6 nozzles.
That's helpful. I only have the double-wide, so 2/3 of 3/4 of a gal converts to 1/2 gal for just the atrium... or thereabouts. It's not rocket surgery; close enough for Bluegrass (or Jazz) & all that... ?

Last edited:
Yeah, it puzzled me why they say to go through the side of the reservoir an inch or two from the bottom rather than going through the bottom. Seems you're always left with 2" of water in the bottom. As long as the reservoir is raised above so the pump is gravity fed, why not go through the bottom and elbow into the pump?

It is not exact, but it gives an idea.
An idea is what I need. It sounds like you're saying you go through 3 gal. in 4 days, or 3/4 gal per day.
For a 24 x 24 x 48 or equiv.?

also you live where it is hot correct ?
No, Northeast US. We don't have a climate—we have weather. ?

I have been thinking of cooling ideas for night time. I have friends and family in AZ and Las Vegas that want chams, so I have been working on this as well.
Small AC unit is probably easiest (Did we discuss this elsewhere? :unsure:) but evaporative cooling is le$$ expensive and more flexible with humidity, especially in AZ & NV unless they have central humidity control.

Last edited:
I'd say five gallons is optimal. I run three different mist king pumps (7 adult cages, 40 hatchling / juvenile cages) so I keep a 55gal reservoir with RO water. Before the large reservoir, I was using one five gallon bucket per pump that I would refill once a week.

Good to know/keep in mind, especially with my luck [sic] of skills. :rolleyes:

Yeah, it puzzled me why they say to go through the side of the reservoir an inch or two from the bottom rather than going through the bottom. Seems you're always left with 2" of water in the bottom. As long as the reservoir is raised above so the pump is gravity fed, why not go through the bottom and elbow into the pump?

An idea is what I need. It sounds like you're saying you go through 3 gal. in 4 days, or 3/4 gal per day.
For a 24 x 24 x 48 or equiv.?

Not sure why the recoment that, probably less likely to leak? I think you are rifht though. Mine is the way it is because that is how it fits.

My enclosure is over a bath tub and open 6 x 6 x 4, I can rain alot and not flood. So it is not how much you will need, but rather how much water is used per sprayer.
You will need to figure out what is right for you. It will vary. @Bemans schedule I would dry out, If she used my schedule she would drown her cage. It is very individual.

OK, I found a suitable reservoir at a dollar store. In hooking it up, the (MK) book says to put 1-2 FEET of tubing between the reservoir and the pump‽‽‽ That seems like an awful lot, and takes up quite a bit of real estate. Is that much really necessary (and why)? I could do it nicely with 3-6".

No mention of the filter in the book (unless it's hidden someplace) so I had to look up how to install it on the website. I would have thought the filter would attach directly to the bulkhead, but it says to connect it to the bulkhead with tubing, but not how much. Is an inch sufficient?

I did cobble together a stand for the reservoir that tips the bucket toward the bulkhead end, so the whole thing doesn't sit there with 2-3" of water in it forever.

OK, I found a suitable reservoir at a dollar store. In hooking it up, the (MK) book says to put 1-2 FEET of tubing between the reservoir and the pump‽‽‽ That seems like an awful lot, and takes up quite a bit of real estate. Is that much really necessary (and why)? I could do it nicely with 3-6".

No mention of the filter in the book (unless it's hidden someplace) so I had to look up how to install it on the website. I would have thought the filter would attach directly to the bulkhead, but it says to connect it to the bulkhead with tubing, but not how much. Is an inch sufficient?

I did cobble together a stand for the reservoir that tips the bucket toward the bulkhead end, so the whole thing doesn't sit there with 2-3" of water in it forever.
I must have had at least 1-2‘ of tubing between reservoir and pump. But as first my dog and then a kitten chewed thru it, it is now quite short...maybe 6-8” and does just fine.

Just finished "cobbling". FWIW, it looks like this:

1602187831183.jpeg

Reactions: 7UP
I wound up adding another layer of 2 x under the 1 x base above, which improved the gravity feed substantially. It's working MUCH better now... ?:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom