MistKing Connector Leaking

JLP474

Trying to set up and test my Starter System. What I'm trying to do is split the water line using their Y union so that each nozzle has its own supply. For the life of me I can't get the Y union to not leak(gushing) on the out connection to the nozzle...I even tried a second Y union and a different piece of hose...same thing. Can the Y union be used in this way? All the other connections leading up to the Y union are fine(bulkhead > pump in > pump out > Y union inlet). Couple of pics, the plug in the one side of the Y is there just for testing, and the other pic can see the line about 1/8" from the end where its getting past the O ring. I was emailing with Marty from Mistking yesterday who has been very helpful guiding on how things should fit and I'm waiting for a reply from my last email...just reaching out to the community here for a little insight...is it something I'm doing incorrectly? Should I just use a T at my first nozzle and link it to the other that way instead? Open to any suggestions.

20160325_110218_zpsiaber8wu.jpg

tube_zpsbfa1evs5.jpg

Recut your tubing on your last picture past the spot where its ruffed up & then push it in ALL the way into your y fitting!

Recut your tubing on your last picture past the spot where its ruffed up & then push it in ALL the way into your y fitting!
I tried this a couple of times...each time taking a 1/4" off to get a fresh cut. Using a brand new razor blade against a hard surface...nice clean flat cut. The picture is how it looks after just one insertion...could it be a bad batch of Y unions roughing up the tubing?

Did you get the tubing cutter with your misting system? A razor blade will cut it but sometimes the tubing will be cut crooked, slight angle & will leak! I got the tubing cutter with mine & had some leaks when set up but didn't have the tubing pushed all the way into the fitting! The tubing pushes into the fitting pretty hard!

Did you get the tubing cutter with your misting system? A razor blade will cut it but sometimes the tubing will be cut crooked, slight angle & will leak! I got the tubing cutter with mine & had some leaks when set up but didn't have the tubing pushed all the way into the fitting! The tubing pushes into the fitting pretty hard!
I didn't get the cutter originally, was going to order it yesterday but Marty stated as long as its a fresh blade getting a clean cut, theres no need for it, that the O ring makes the seal around the tubing...I can also feel it going past the point where it makes the release collar button pop up. Short of crushing the tubing theres no more room for it to go lol. I'm usually pretty handy with this kind of stuff, all other connections are perfect leading up to this spot. I'm contemplating scrapping the Y union idea and just use T's at the nozzles...but its still going to bother me on why this is happening lol.

I didn't get the cutter originally, was going to order it yesterday but Marty stated as long as its a fresh blade getting a clean cut, theres no need for it, that the O ring makes the seal around the tubing...I can also feel it going past the point where it makes the release collar button pop up. Short of crushing the tubing theres no more room for it to go lol. I'm usually pretty handy with this kind of stuff, all other connections are perfect leading up to this spot. I'm contemplating scrapping the Y union idea and just use T's at the nozzles...but its still going to bother me on why this is happening lol.
Sometimes life is to short to let a y fitting ruin a persons day! If you have the T fittings they will work to! & you'll be smiling when your done!

There has been several people lately complaining about leak problems. I think they got in a batch of bad fittings in my opinion maybe Marty should investigate before he starts getting a bad rep.

I've never used the new Y connectors but in theory they should work fine like this... they're basically a T junction just angled differently I've only ever seen these push connectors leak one of three ways: The tubing is rough cut not getting a good seal around the gasket, the connector can leak internally from a faulty seal inside the part (happens to me about one out of every 20 connectors, sometimes it's just a bad part) OR you can actually push the tubing too far into the connector and force the gasket open preventing a good seal. Try pulling the gasket ring down with your fingers towards the base of the connector before inserting the tube, and do it gently until you feel the tube end seat, then stop pushing. I think once you push the tubing in too far too many times you can actually damage the part.
I would say it's either that, or you're unlucky and have a bad batch of connectors. Sometimes when I buy the white ones at home depot I'll get a whole bunch that leak for no reason, bad qc or some such.
It's possible you're getting some weird back pressure at that location and exceeding the part's psi rating.. but I'm not familiar with the Y connectors. Have you tried swapping out the leaking connector further towards the pump to see if it still leaks? If you can't get the y's to work in that spot you might just have to put in a T and call it a day, these pressurized lines can be finicky sometimes o_O

Sometimes life is to short to let a y fitting ruin a persons day! If you have the T fittings they will work to! & you'll be smiling when your done!
I only have 1 T connector, have a couple on order with other various connectors and hose to keep as spares...see what happens.

I've never used the new Y connectors but in theory they should work fine like this... they're basically a T junction just angled differently I've only ever seen these push connectors leak one of three ways: The tubing is rough cut not getting a good seal around the gasket, the connector can leak internally from a faulty seal inside the part (happens to me about one out of every 20 connectors, sometimes it's just a bad part) OR you can actually push the tubing too far into the connector and force the gasket open preventing a good seal. Try pulling the gasket ring down with your fingers towards the base of the connector before inserting the tube, and do it gently until you feel the tube end seat, then stop pushing. I think once you push the tubing in too far too many times you can actually damage the part.
I would say it's either that, or you're unlucky and have a bad batch of connectors. Sometimes when I buy the white ones at home depot I'll get a whole bunch that leak for no reason, bad qc or some such.
It's possible you're getting some weird back pressure at that location and exceeding the part's psi rating.. but I'm not familiar with the Y connectors. Have you tried swapping out the leaking connector further towards the pump to see if it still leaks? If you can't get the y's to work in that spot you might just have to put in a T and call it a day, these pressurized lines can be finicky sometimes o_O
This is actually a lil concerning...last thing I need is something to be finicky while I'm at work or while we're on a day trip with the family or something.

I'll try what you're saying...just odd that both Y's are leaking in the same manner with two different pieces of tubing.

Quick update, I carefully pulled out the collars, made sure everything looked ok with the o rings inside. Reinserted the collars, then I marked the tube with tape to know when its fully inserted...now no leaks and I have mist! Not sure if taking the collars out and putting them back in helped, but it looks like I'm back in business. I'm still going to wait for my T connectors to come in and set it up that way. Pics attached to hopefully help anyone experiencing the same thing.

mistking1_zpstcdiuioy.jpg

mistking2_zpsn9uhcduo.jpg

mistking3_zpsbbn52twn.jpg

Glad you got it working! You have to use alot of force pushing the tubing into the fitting to get them not to leak!!

Quick update, I carefully pulled out the collars, made sure everything looked ok with the o rings inside. Reinserted the collars, then I marked the tube with tape to know when its fully inserted...now no leaks and I have mist! Not sure if taking the collars out and putting them back in helped, but it looks like I'm back in business. I'm still going to wait for my T connectors to come in and set it up that way. Pics attached to hopefully help anyone experiencing the same thing.

mistking1_zpstcdiuioy.jpg

mistking2_zpsn9uhcduo.jpg

mistking3_zpsbbn52twn.jpg
I'm having the same problem with the pump. Its spraying water everywhere and not misting. Should I take off the collars there?

I'm having the same problem with the pump. Its spraying water everywhere and not misting. Should I take off the collars there?
Make sure you have a clean flush cut...use a brand new razor blade with the tube against a hard surface like a cutting board...and rock the blade back n forth a lil bit to start it then cut straight down...when inserting the tube into a collar...push in until it feels a little snug then give another extra push, the rest of the way...can use the tape method as a way to measure it's all the way in.

How do you prime it? The few times I rand dry and filled my bucket, the pump would not output. I found that removing the output tube and manually running the pump until the water flowed out the pump solved this. I then simply push the tube back in and it works. I do not have any leaks, but I would rather prime it properly so as to not worry about having this leaking issue in the future.

Back
Top Bottom