Mistking and smart outlet

Where you you have the Tube inputting? I run my fogger from the top and want to see if the hoses reach
You me how they are piped into the viv? Each viv has a built in 360* fog header at the top, just plug it in and done.
D4FB5B7F-0D68-4E82-BB9D-ED59E581DDB2.jpeg

Attachments

• 44EADF8F-DBD6-469C-8EB5-3E109E94305C.jpeg
    44EADF8F-DBD6-469C-8EB5-3E109E94305C.jpeg
    390.3 KB · Views: 88
I have this fogger as well, plus the mistking. I also have tried to figure out how to control my mistking remotely, with no luck. For everything else, though, I use two Kasa WiFi 6 outlet power strips that I LOVE. Each outlet can be individually operated and programmed for any times I want, as well as remote operation from anywhere using my phone. It even gives you power consumption data, which I have used to really dial in my dimmable heat lamp by just setting it to a specific power consumption (done by trial and error, not by setting a number and it automatically adjusting to the number, I don’t want to be misleading here). I have the fogger programmed to only go on a few times during the night time. This is controlled by the outlet. When it powers on it keeps all of the previous settings from when it was last on, which is great. Plus, since I am very much into remote automation, I bought 4 SensorPush temp and humidity sensors that continuously monitor parameters that I can view from my phone anywhere. All of the functionality is awesome while I’m at work. I can get alerts if it’s a particularly hot or cool day and adjust by cycling the corresponding outlet from work. Unfortunately, I haven’t found a great solution to the mistking like this.

Oh. I almost forgot. I used a modified suction cup to mount an Arlo q camera to the outside of his terrarium so I can take a quick peek at him while I’m away, from anywhere, all just for more comfort in knowing everything is functioning as expected.

I have this fogger as well, plus the mistking. I also have tried to figure out how to control my mistking remotely, with no luck. For everything else, though, I use two Kasa WiFi 6 outlet power strips that I LOVE. Each outlet can be individually operated and programmed for any times I want, as well as remote operation from anywhere using my phone. It even gives you power consumption data, which I have used to really dial in my dimmable heat lamp by just setting it to a specific power consumption (done by trial and error, not by setting a number and it automatically adjusting to the number, I don’t want to be misleading here). I have the fogger programmed to only go on a few times during the night time. This is controlled by the outlet. When it powers on it keeps all of the previous settings from when it was last on, which is great. Plus, since I am very much into remote automation, I bought 4 SensorPush temp and humidity sensors that continuously monitor parameters that I can view from my phone anywhere. All of the functionality is awesome while I’m at work. I can get alerts if it’s a particularly hot or cool day and adjust by cycling the corresponding outlet from work. Unfortunately, I haven’t found a great solution to the mistking like this.

Can you share a link to the kasa outlets? I use their smart plugs, too... I looked at these but didnt realize each outlet could be controlled individually which would be fantastic!!

Im sure you can bypass the timer... close the circuit for an “always on” and then use the smart timer. Personally I’d stick to mistking’s timer because there is less room for error (power, pump, timer). Using a smart plug your points of failure become power, smart plug, WIFI!, pump. My smart plugs rely on wifi for their schedule and if thats out so is the outlet. APC and others make a non-wifi smart outlet that would fix that.
Absolutely. Minus only being able to control in 1 minute intervals. Works fine as long as wifi doesn’t drop. I have a google wifi hub right by the cages. Played around with it and it works fine, but now your living with the fear of the WiFi dropping & bypassing the schedule, and coming home to an empty reservoir.

Attachments

• 19F4C946-0A79-44A5-A3D7-B626159B13C7.png
    19F4C946-0A79-44A5-A3D7-B626159B13C7.png
    93.6 KB · Views: 100
That’s dope. I never even thought of one of those I bought individual plugs for a killer deal, but would rather have that anyday

Absolutely. Minus only being able to control in 1 minute intervals. Works fine as long as wifi doesn’t drop. I have a google wifi hub right by the cages. Played around with it and it works fine, but now your living with the fear of the WiFi dropping & bypassing the schedule, and coming home to an empty reservoir.

You can get the non-wifi manual timers, but there is always the risk of failure

That’s dope. I never even thought of one of those I bought individual plugs for a killer deal, but would rather have that anyday
Yeah, I started with a couple individual plugs and realized I was building a rats nest with all the add ones. This cleaned it up nicely.

I went ahead and bypassed the timer on the mistking with the pump plugged into the Kasa power strip I linked above. It definitely works, allowing timer setup through the kasa app, as well as remote operation from anywhere.

Wait if it loses wifi it defaults to on??

Ok. Now my interest is peaked. I have wanted to get a mist king, for years now. But the $$ was the number one deturant. So, in looking into misting options, I have discovered that there seem to be some new ones on the market. However, I'm always skeptical about things that might be a cheaper knock-off and therefore a waste of money. So looking at the one linked above, it just seems too good to be true. But reading the subsequent comments in this thread has me thinking this thing might actually be a decent compromise between money and quality. So what's everyone's thoughts?

Dont want to Hijack OPs thread, so DM you the Cheaper MK setup. What they are linking, the fogger, is not a replacement for a MK IMO, but an additive.

Wait if it loses wifi it defaults to on??
I think the risk with the remote setup staying on and not turning off would be if WiFi is active, the on cycle starts, likely for a couple minutes. If during that couple minutes the WiFi goes out and the off signal doesn’t occur, then there is a fear that it will just stay on?

I think the risk with the remote setup staying on and not turning off would be if WiFi is active, the on cycle starts, likely for a couple minutes. If during that couple minutes the WiFi goes out and the off signal doesn’t occur, then there is a fear that it will just stay on?

Ahh I guess it depends on the "Smart Outlet" used in that case, I could see that if your Outlet and Smart Device are separated, such as an outlet controlled by Alexa, or Google Home, ECT. I wouldn't do that, If I were to do a Smart Outlet like this, I would use one that has its own IP, and such. A one off device, that doesn't need 3rd party integration, or at least one that defaults to off with no wifi signal.

I use Wi-Fi smart outlets and they still work when the Wi-Fi is out they just default to their regular schedules I just can’t control it from my phone anymore

I flooded my living room with one of these outlets a few years ago when they first came out, didn’t know the difference then. My resovior automatically refills and the “shutdown” task I programmed failed to execute one day, never figured out why. This is before I had continuous drainage so, yeah. Just think it through I guess. I do still use the WiFi outlet never had a problem since...

Back
Top Bottom