Misting

c2c

What misting schedule do you all have. I am most interested in Jackson keepers. Should I mist my jacksons often where as soon as it dries out mist again or a certain amount of times per day
Also for how long should I mist

Jacksons like water, and need high humidity, however, too much water is definitely a bad thing, and you should take care to make sure your cage is drying out at nite, and twice a day IME.

Everyones misting schedule is different, because we all have different situations to work with.

I give a long mist in the morning, to bring humidity up, and give plenty of opportunity to get hydrated for the day.(and to make sure she can wet her tongue before morning feeding) I also do a long mist around halfway through the day.

When I lived in a dry area, I would do another long mist about an hour before lights out. This is not needed if ambient humidity is not low, and can actually be harmful, since it can bring the temp down too much and make them sick.
It also will probably not dry through the nite, giving things time to rot.

What are your ambient RH levels where you live? (ruff average)

Ok I guess I just need to tinker with it a bit. I like the long morning one. should i do it before lights come on or after.

my humididty right now is about 70% but we have a storm coming in this weekend. so im thinking that the humididty averages around 60% during the summer probably in the 30-40s

I mist my fella really well in the morning before I head to work. I avoid soaking him because his lights don't come on til after I leave. Then I give his enclosure a good misting again when I get home, this time not worrying about how wet he gets. He usually takes off and hides under a leaf if he doesn't want to get wet but most times will sit and watch and wait for water to accumulate enough for him to have another drink. I've been thinking of hooking him up to my mistking set up, but am waiting for him to get big enough for his final cage then I can have all of them next to one another. Less hose to run around.

Ok I guess I just need to tinker with it a bit. I like the long morning one. should i do it before lights come on or after.

my humididty right now is about 70% but we have a storm coming in this weekend. so im thinking that the humididty averages around 60% during the summer probably in the 30-40s

I mist after lights on, to make sure they drink.

I like hand misting over an automatic system. I use the pesticide hand pumped sprayer, its awesome. Its great for giving long outdoor showers as well.

If you don't want to get an automatic system, get a pesticide pump, like Solid has. But spend over $10 on it, the cheaper the pump the more like cheap, stinky plastic it reeks. I have one for $15 bucks that I bought close to 3 years ago and it's still going strong! lol And they are great for doing the long 10+ minute mistings if you want to still have a hand afterwards.

so im misting 5 min in the morning 615ish 1min around noon and 3min around 6pm 2 hours before the lights go off. should i add more or take away

I would suggest to use little high pressure misting, mid pressure misting with booster pump around 160 Psi to 300 Psi or high Pressure 1000 to 1500 Psi will give the much better result

I would suggest to use little high pressure misting, mid pressure misting with booster pump around 160 Psi to 300 Psi or high Pressure 1000 to 1500 Psi will give the much better result

banned nice:rolleyes:
i am very happy with my aquazamp system. it does what i want it to. creats a mist to raise humidity but at the same time water collects on the leaves so that my chams can drink

You sound like u have a pretty solid schedual. (no pun intended torwards solid snake:). )
Just make sure It gets pretty dry before misting again to prevent fungus/mold.

If u have an absorbent substrate make sure it dries out or If the bottom stays sopping wet make sure to stir it and replace it often.
I always recommens repticarpet or nothing at all.

And I feel every question should come with a picture :) even If everytgings great we still wanna see!!! Lol

Last edited:
You sound like u have a pretty solid schedual. (no pun intended torwards solid snake:). )
That game was awesome.
I was going to play it over spring break but MW3 won out

Just make sure It gets pretty dry before misting again to prevent fungus/mold.

If u have an absorbent substrate make sure it dries out or If the bottom stays sopping wet make sure to stir it and replace it often.
I always recommens repticarpet or nothing at all.

It usually dries out by the end of the night

I really want to get a mistking. Why do people not like automatic systems?

I love mine, i work long days and leave alot so i only have to time to clean my room and feed, i cant come back to mist so i need a system. and if i decide to leave for a few days nothing going to die without me. its a good back up although i still handmist my pygmy and my mantids. i dont have to but i do :)

You should have your day/night cycle set for 12 hours. It seems like you have it set for 14+
if your last misting session is at 6 p.m.

I love mine, i work long days and leave alot so i only have to time to clean my room and feed, i cant come back to mist so i need a system. and if i decide to leave for a few days nothing going to die without me. its a good back up although i still handmist my pygmy and my mantids. i dont have to but i do :)

I agree, I wouldn't know what to do without mine. I went from having to set alarms on my phone to remind me to mist them regularly to not having to worry about it except to fill the reservoir and empty the drainage. This means that I can agree to go to a study session, or go to a spontaneous lunch out with friends, or stay out all day for whatever and not have to come back running because the chameleons need to drink. I know that regardless of what my day is like, they will have water provided.

all depends on location I mist 4-5 times a day maybe 3-4 hours apart so moisture vanishes, also my mistings are about 5 mins long.

Back
Top Bottom