Misting water level sensor

timber64

I just installed a Mistking system on my enclosure, and was watching YouTube videos on setting it up and came across this one where he used some sort of floating water sensor that he drops in the water bucket, which notifies him when he's run out of water. I assume it works off Bluetooth or WiFi. Pure genius, so you don't have to keep sliding out a large bucket and checking under the lid.

Is anyone familiar with these and know a purchasing source? I'm still searching but haven't found it yet.

FOUND IT!! These sensors are Wireless Sensor Tags (wirelesstag.net) and are part of a collection of different types of sensors. You can get one type that monitors temperature (and I think also humidity) and another sensor that can detect presence of or absence of water. $29 per sensor with bluetooth notification, and if you want a WiFi hub, it's another $39. Nice idea, but I may just stop being lazy and look in the bucket frequently!! lol

So... up to $70? The reason I ask is that—aside from the connectivity—I had a temperamental sump pump a few years back, and built an audible alarm for if/when the float valve malfunctioned and the pump missed turning on. It was very simple, and cost less than $5, including the 9v battery.

So... up to $70? The reason I ask is that—aside from the connectivity—I had a temperamental sump pump a few years back, and built an audible alarm for if/when the float valve malfunctioned and the pump missed turning on. It was very simple, and cost less than $5, including the 9v battery.
I think the advantage of wireless tags is you could monitor while on vacation

I just installed a Mistking system on my enclosure, and was watching YouTube videos on setting it up and came across this one where he used some sort of floating water sensor that he drops in the water bucket, which notifies him when he's run out of water. I assume it works off Bluetooth or WiFi. Pure genius, so you don't have to keep sliding out a large bucket and checking under the lid.

Is anyone familiar with these and know a purchasing source? I'm still searching but haven't found it yet.
Thanks for posting this. It's a great idea for when I'm out of town to monitor remotely.

This post has provided me with some really good reality checks!! I realized I'm trying to over-automate my setup!! While there MIGHT be some value in this type of technology for vacation monitoring, one would think you'd have a house-sitter anyway and certainly they can fill a bucket just as easily as I can when feeding my cham on a regular basis. I even considered that if I went with the floating sensor that I mentioned at the start of this post, I suspect the dangling sensor would never completely lose connection with water and trigger a notification, simply for the fact that the bulkhead on my bucket is an inch up from the bottom. So the Mistking will stop with water still remaining at the bottom of my bucket!!

DECISION: Spend my money elsewhere and make lifting the lid on the water bucket a more regular part of my feeding process!!!

This post has provided me with some really good reality checks!! I realized I'm trying to over-automate my setup!! While there MIGHT be some value in this type of technology for vacation monitoring, one would think you'd have a house-sitter anyway and certainly they can fill a bucket just as easily as I can when feeding my cham on a regular basis. I even considered that if I went with the floating sensor that I mentioned at the start of this post, I suspect the dangling sensor would never completely lose connection with water and trigger a notification, simply for the fact that the bulkhead on my bucket is an inch up from the bottom. So the Mistking will stop with water still remaining at the bottom of my bucket!!

DECISION: Spend my money elsewhere and make lifting the lid on the water bucket a more regular part of my feeding process!!!
I only bought the minimum size required bucket for my MK set-up and the MK is very efficient, so the sensor would be NICE for vacation, but I feel like I would prefer the sensor to monitor how much water collects post-draining my chameleon enclosure.

Spending elsewhere sounds great. FWIW, my reservoir is translucent, so I can see the water level at a glance from across the room.

I only bought the minimum size required bucket for my MK set-up and the MK is very efficient, so the sensor would be NICE for vacation, but I feel like I would prefer the sensor to monitor how much water collects post-draining my chameleon enclosure.
Are you mayhaps over-misting? (Not saying you are—every situation is different.)
I refill my 4 gal. reservoir twice a week, but I only have to empty the 5 gal. drain bucket once a month or so.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom