Misting System

SKITTLES

I was thinking about getting a mistking or herpmist, but was not sure if I would be better of making my own to save a little money. I wanted to know if anyone has made their own misting system and would like to share their ideas or pictures. Also, I would appreciate others opinions on if making your own compared to buying one is a waste of time? All opinions are appreciated.

Just buy one.
You will be happy with any of the brands out there.
I have a ProMist/HerpMist/MistKing combination.
It's a mixture of pumps, tubes, and nozzels.

Yeah, like justin said - You'd be happy with either. I personally went with HerpMist. Which arrives tomorrow! Anything is better than the rainmaker jr / Mr. Moisture systems which is what I had before. And either of them is infinitely better than hand-spraying, that's for damn sure

The only difference I found between the two is what extras they came with and that the herpmist pump has a 110psi output while mistking has 130psi output. The difference between the mistking and herpmist is that the mistking contains extras such as, 1/4" Manual Ball Valve, 10 tubing clips,"L" connector (in case you need to turn sharp 90 with the tubing ), an extra misting nozzle, and vibration dampening bracket on the pump. But, the herpmist package is running at $183 and comes with a reservoir. While the mistking value package is running at $190. Does anyone think that the increased psi of the mistking makes all the difference?

i dont think the extra psi makes any difference, some people including me turn the psi down on their pumps to control water consumption. and the herpmist system comes with a vibration bracket, and "L" joint, and 2 nozzles. so i think they are comparable since clips and ball valve are minimal cost and often not needed.

i think the biggest difference is the color of the nozzles. black vs. white.

Actually, Skittles, I've updated the Big Enchilada to include our new four gallon reservoir, include two of my Screen Cage Adapters, and even shaved a couple of bucks off the price due to the cost savings of the new reservoir.

Some folks may think otherwise, but I've always hated the idea of using a shopping basket, er, uh bucket from Home Depot as the water source for your expensive animals!

The pictures aren't up yet, but they should be soon.

i still love the 5 gallon/22quart resevoir. lasts me about a month between refills. 2 nozzles at 80-90psi for 8 minutes a day.

I was thinking about getting a mistking or herpmist, but was not sure if I would be better of making my own to save a little money.

If you don't care about the nozzle color and if you want to save about $10 per nozzle, you can get the white 'super swivel' nozzles with collet locks and red or black tip in the clearance section for $9 (). If you want I can include those for you in the value kit. The system would then cost you $175. That includes the new timer that can be set on per second basis (not per minute). I'll even throw in a 4th clearance nozzle if you want since I don't have much use for them. Otherwise the kit will come with the regular items, pump, T connector, L connector, spare Plug-in elbow, tubing clips, ball valve, tube cutter, reservoir bulkhead and 25' of tubing)

don't forget about restaurants as a free source for reservoirs, most places have food grade HDPE (#2) plastic buckets they receive canola oil in for the fryers or mayo laying around their trash/recycling bins, if not just ask in the kitchen for an empty one

give it a good wash and wala

Nothing wrong with Home depot bucket, it's also HDPE (food grade) and it's dirt cheap. I called while back and asked the company about it to make sure it was safe. Electric is right, if you want to save more coin, any restaurant will give you an empty bucket, if you're lucky you may get half a bucket of kosher pickles with it :) haha

Nothing wrong with Home depot bucket, it's also HDPE (food grade) and it's dirt cheap.

There's nothing wrong with them when they leave the factory. However, since Home Depot encourages people to use them as handheld shopping baskets and employees use them as trash cans, spill cleanups, etc.

I sure as hell wouldn't wash one, fill it with water, and let my son drink out of it because I don't know its history. You can guess that it hasn't come into contact with any chemicals, but you cannot be sure. For the same reason, I won't recommend this to my customers.

There's nothing wrong with them when they leave the factory. However, since Home Depot encourages people to use them as handheld shopping baskets and employees use them as trash cans, spill cleanups, etc.

...This maybe be only localized to your local home depot :D. Every home depot that I went to, has shopping carts and hand baskets and doesn't encourage people to look for buckets to place their shopping into. No need to be a drama qeen here. Using the same argument, what guarantee do I have that you didn't use your reservoirs as trash cans for spills and cleanups. Just like I doubt that you'd do that, I very much doubt that Home Depot would use new stock that they have for sale and let people mess with it. I'd say that if you see a pile of buckets at home depot, chances are that they're OK - and if you're still worried, pick the one from the back and wash it at home - which is something you should do anyways!

home-depot-buckets.jpg

No need to be a drama qeen here.

Take your own advice and let it go. Stop bantering one another with trivial BS.

My nozzles are red… My nozzles are a better red! Oh yea? Well mine is the best red ever! Well mine cost less! I give mine out free with the purchase of a system. Well your system sucks. Yours makes noise. You smell, no you smell ECT ECT ECT. MOOOOOOM

Take your own advice and let it go. Stop bantering one another with trivial BS.

My nozzles are red… My nozzles are a better red! Oh yea? Well mine is the best red ever! Well mine cost less! I give mine out free with the purchase of a system. Well your system sucks. Yours makes noise. You smell, no you smell ECT ECT ECT. MOOOOOOM

lol, way to keep it going....

To positively add to this topic, I too, at first, tried to do my own misting system as I have a large fish tank and did all my plumbing...

Well, the issue is that you need a not-so-easy to find AND cheap pump to power the hole system. That is the key point. Just plumbing it into your focet just doesnt cut it. Using any pumps that pet stores sell for tanks or ponds also don't work. If you want that nice fine mist, that is.

I have a HerpMist and can vouch for it as well as Jason. I am sure the other one is also comparable. You will find a hand full of people here that like HerpMist and another handful that like MistKing.

Regardless, spend the money this way and be happy right away!! But maybe you can try other methods and share with us!!!

Good luck!

Roberto

My mist king has been running for a week, the cham loves it. Quiet, solid, dependable, and Marty was great to deal with. A real pro.
In the end, apart from cosmetics, both of these systems are incredible values, and functionally the same.

Its a customer service war. So if you don't know who to buy from, send them both an email and see who you like better. Or flip a coin.

Either way its a better value than trying to build one yourself.

Back
Top Bottom