Misting/Fogging schedule.

jdada7

Hello all,

So I took the advice from you guys and canceled the fountain dripper due to the bacteria and purchased this fogger/mister. https://amzn.to/3wHyRZu

I also purchased a timer so I can have the fogger/mister go off and on at set times.

My problem is I don’t know when to mist/fog.

His lights go on at 830am and go off at 1030 pm. I am considering going to a 12 hour clock. I live in florida. Open to any suggestions for that as well.

Can someone provide a good schedule to have the fogger/mister go off and on? I would really really appreciate it.

Is the fogger/muster enough to keep him hydrated or should I purchase something else to make sure he gets enough hydration.

Hi
In general, I use following lighting / misting and fogging schedule:
0630am till 0730pm Plants light on and off (giving time to wake up and go to bed, to their preferred sleeping spot)
0700am till 0700pm UVB light on and off
0700am till 1000pm for summer for the basking light
0630am 2 minutes misting
0700pm 2 minutes misting
1100pm till 0600am every hour 15 minutes fogging

It´s related to the Chameleon Academy schedule

Hydration-Schedule-Mid-Gradient-clock-082020-1024x378.jpg

Misting and fogging are two separate things. What you have bought is a nice fogger, which you’ll only be using at night when your temps are below at least 68-70. This increases humidity which simulates the natural hydration chameleons get in the wild thru fog. You don’t want to use this during the day or when temps are high as high humidity plus heat greatly increases risk for respiratory infection.
Misting is more like spraying. You can use a spray bottle and do it by hand. You can get one of the various misting systems available. The misting system that is by far preferred by most is Mist King. It is a bit pricey, but well worth it. https://www.amazon.com/MistKing-MKM...pplies&sprefix=Mist+king,pets,119&sr=1-3&th=1 You can probably find it at a little bit of a better price by shopping around. It provides a timer so that you can set the length of each misting as well as the times to mist.

So here is my schedule for my little guy now that I have all equipment and timers needed for the enclosure.

FOGGER - ON 8:10 AM - OFF 8:25 AM
UVB LIGHT - ON 8:30 AM - OFF 9:40PM
BASKING LAMP - ON 9AM - OFF 12PM
BASKING LAMP - ON 1PM - OFF 4PM
BASKING LAMP - ON 5PM - OFF 8PM
FOGGER - ON 10PM - OFF 10:15PM
FOGGER - ON 1AM - OFF 6AM

I HAVE THE FOGGER POINT DOWN AT AN ANGLE FROM THE TOP OF A CORNER IS THAT FINE?

Basking temp ranges from 80F-90F sometimes gets to 92F.

Cage temperature is steady between 75-78F

Humidity never drops below 30% and is always between 30-50%. When I mist it goes up to about 60%

Night temp is between 60F-70F

I usually mist myself with a hand bottle 2-3 times during the day & at 8:25 once the fogger shuts off.

Am I doing this right? If not what should I change?

Last edited:
Looks good. Personally, I would skip these two:

Because, everything above 85 is pretty high. The rest is perfect and just for to be sure, FOGGER - ON 1AM - OFF 6AM, this is every hour for 15 minutes? Or does it run for 6 hours? Every hour 15 minutes is good enough.

This is fine and once you figured out he has a preferred sleeping spot (and mostly they got one) you can position it above there.

Big (y) for working with our advices.....in the beginning it´s a lot of tweaking and adjusting and buying stuff, but in the end it pays off and you´ll get a happy and healthy chameleon which will bring you all the joy you can get from them.

So here is my schedule for my little guy now that I have all equipment and timers needed for the enclosure.

FOGGER - ON 8:10 AM - OFF 8:25 AM
UVB LIGHT - ON 8:30 AM - OFF 9:40PM
BASKING LAMP - ON 9AM - OFF 12PM
FOGGER - ON 10PM - OFF 10:15PM
FOGGER - ON 1AM - OFF 6AM

Basking temp ranges from 80F-90F sometimes gets to 92F.

Cage temperature is steady between 75-78F

Humidity never drops below 30% and is always between 30-50%. When I mist it goes up to about 60%

Night temp is between 60F-70F

I usually mist myself with a hand bottle 2-3 times during the day & at 8:25 once the fogger shuts off.

Am I doing this right? If not what should I change?
I think this all sounds good. Your basking temp may be a bit high. I run all my heating devices on dimmable thermostats to avoid large fluctuations and too high of temps.
As @Sonny13 mentioned, you may not need to run the fogger the entire time between 1 and 6 AM. If you are using a screen cage, I would run it continuously during that time. If you’re in hybrid or glass enclosure, you can probably get away with a shorter hourly schedule as suggested.

Consider an automatic mister at some point too. It makes keeping lizards so much easier 🙂

Hi i think 12 hour is much better. Sunrise to sunset. In the wild they get up with the sun light and start finding their sleep spot when the sun goes down. Do not put fogger over any place thst your cham sits under as this could lead to respitory infection. Now you are in florida which naturally has high humidity levels. You need to take this into consideration with fogging. Since you have a timer, i would consider 2 to 3 hours of light fogging during the am hours. Say 4am to 6:30 am. What i do is before morning feeding and after he has been awake for about an hour i remove all feeding apparatus like bowels and cricket cups then i drench everything trying not to hit him too much and dont hit the lights. There are great hand misters for this that arent too expensive. After drenching i put the cricket cup back in its place i have a stck coming out of it so the crickets can climb out. Then i put crickets in another tall cup with the calcium in it shake it a bit remive the lid and let them crawl out so they drop into the cricket cup. Then i shut the door and prepare the stuff he doesnt have to hunt for. I took the small brown mealwirm bowl and glued it to a heavy rock or the tongue will overturn it every time. I put mealworms, bsfl, and other treats wax worms etc in there after he has hunted the crickets fir a while, a few hours, i return with the snack bowl and he runs over i have the placememt if his feeding bowl below his basking perch so he can bask and eat his snacks. If its been more than a few hours depending on my schedule i mist leaves lightly so he can drink off of them. I try to hand mist at least twice a day and let my hydrometer tell me when i have to fog during the day. The meter should read 50 during the day .and go up to 70 in the arly hours. Luke i said you are in florida so your humidity is natrualky high but if your cage is inside with ac that will change the levels. So you will have to track it a bit with the hydrometer so you can figure the best way to hit the numbers i gave above. now i have my fogger set up in the back corner .not near his basking area. But i do put lettuce in a bowl and set it in that bavk corner as the fogger will help lettuce\collard greens stay fresh for longer. If you have a veiled you should offer lettuce at least a few times a week. If you cham loves it maybe more. I will post a pic i just took of hunter at his basking spot so you can see the set up. Also being in Fl with high heats you might want to consider a dimmer switch on the basking light. Your .bulb should be a basking bulb for reptiles 75 watt . tweeking the cage is a constant continual thing. The pic i will show you has my 6 month old male veil, hunter oh it not letting me drop the pic. I will try another way

Here is a couple of pics of the whole cage

Attachments

• IMG_20220601_172222.jpg
    IMG_20220601_172222.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_20220601_172206.jpg
    IMG_20220601_172206.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 88
Back
Top Bottom