Misting and Using Dprippers

Unless you are using an automated watering system, water drippers and manual misting should both be used.

I use both, the more options the better. I even give some a bowl with a bubble stone along with spraying and drippers. A dripper will give them a water source for an extended period of time. Spraying will allow them to clean their eyes and raise humidity levels in addition to giving them a drink.

Jerm

Jerm, how does the bubble stone in water work? I was wanting to try that, but I'm not sure...

Just add an aquarium bubble stone to a bowl of water. I add a valve to adjust the flow of air. As long as you make the water move and glisten it will get their attention. I have even had an adult panther drink from a bromeliad that was holding water in the center of it. For some reason some are picky and won't use it though.

Jerm

I have some that use it regularly and some that I've never seen use it but I leave it in there just in case.

Jerm

Water bowls are a huge peeve of mine, and a great source for
mistakes.

Too many people and caresheets say flatly: "chameleons do not
recognize standing water, they will not drink from a bowl".

A beginner is going to do is to put a water bowl in - just in case. The
moment they see their chameleon drinking out of a still bowl of water
(and they will, I've seen every species do it except parsonii and melleri
so far), they will think the person/caresheet who told them NOT to do it
was not worth listening to, because they were clearly wrong...

And THAT is why so many people ignore caresheets - they are TOLD
what to do, not TAUGHT.

A water bowl with an air stone will work for almost any chameleon. It
will provide them with water. They still need to be misted and rained
on, for their eyes and skin. What "everyone's" afraid of, is that
beginners are going to JUST use a water bowl, and neglect the other
methods, which they still need. For regular care, water bowls are not
worth it, as they get nasty, even if the chameleon does not go in it - and
they usually do. For a week away, they work great. Stick a bowl in
each cage (with a bubbler in it if you want - usually veileds don't need
bubblers), and you'll at least have SOME source of water while you're
gone.

Expect to find every bowl filled with poop in a few days.

They do seem to aim at the bowl when they poop. I don't leave mine in there at all times. I like to give them an extra source of water occasionally though, but like I said, i do that along with regular misting and drippers. I agree with Eric, it shouldn't be your primary source of water.

Jerm

My male veiled cham doesnt drink off of a dripper he drinks out of a bowl:rolleyes: its crazy i dont know why lol:D

cam198 said:
My male veiled cham doesnt drink off of a dripper he drinks out of a bowl:rolleyes: its crazy i dont know why lol:D
I find it usually takes 2-3 minutes or more to have the chameleon stimulated enough to drink what water coming from misting systems. And even then, it is only when the chameleon is directly in the path of the misting nozzles spray. My new cages will have two nozzles to ensure that they are going to get rained on, almost any time that a mister timer goes off.

little dripper

i got one of the little drippers with the green tubing that drips water.
i made a drip system for the other cages using clear tubing .

does the tubing have to be green? why are the little drippers tubing green?

Maybe Zoomed got a really good deal on green tubing? The habba mister has green tubing too. But, no, it doesn't have to be green.

Heika

Will Hayward said:
I don't even think you can call the Habba Mist a "system". Its a real peice of...

I'm a retailer and I used to sell the habba mist from zoo med. It was one of my biggest selling products when I did sell it. Although I haven't used it myself I was just looking for some input as to why it is a piece of _____ (fill in blank as you please)? Did it not work at all? or did it just not work as well as you thought it would. A lot of retailers just sell anything they can to make a buck. I don't operate like that though. I like to get feed back on things that people buy and if they are indeed junk then I won't continue to carry them.

Any thoughts or opinions appreciated.

Thanks.

Habba mister...

I purchased one awhile back and I personally don't like it. Now this might be because I only keep chameleons which need a longer duration of misting than 1 minute at a time. I do currently use it occasionally when I have babies but I have to set it to spray every hour. It is really annoying how loud it is and how small the chamber is to hold water. Also it is hard to heat the water in the chamber. I only use heated water for my chameleons. It might work out for someone who raises some other kind of reptile, but I don't reccommend it for chameleon owners. The idea is great, but if I were to invent one or improve this product I would make the duration of misting longer, put a finer misting head on it, make the chamber for water larger and heated, and make it quieter. Not too much to ask :rolleyes:

Jerm

i been busy since i have to get a surgery for a hernia. i just got a mist system called pro-mist ,i got 4 nozzles for four cages and a pump from big apple herp, a 5 gallon bucket and lid and a 14 on/off digital timer ,4 extra nylon washers etc.
i also got 2 more nice golden shefflera plants at home depot,these plants are really bushy .

i have to agree i don't have one but i thought about getting one , i decided theres a better way to spend my money and i would had to buy 4 of them.

i just got a mist system and i am figuring out how to warm the water because i use warm water to mist with a spray bottle .
one way i thought of is using a 10 gallon aquarium and stick 2 of the zoomed heaters on it and use one to heat the water a little or use both if the water needs tobe warmer.
my idea is i don't want to change the water temp that i'm using now cause it works.

Jerm said:
I purchased one awhile back and I personally don't like it. Now this might be because I only keep chameleons which need a longer duration of misting than 1 minute at a time. I do currently use it occasionally when I have babies but I have to set it to spray every hour. It is really annoying how loud it is and how small the chamber is to hold water. Also it is hard to heat the water in the chamber. I only use heated water for my chameleons. It might work out for someone who raises some other kind of reptile, but I don't reccommend it for chameleon owners. The idea is great, but if I were to invent one or improve this product I would make the duration of misting longer, put a finer misting head on it, make the chamber for water larger and heated, and make it quieter. Not too much to ask :rolleyes:

Jerm

Jerm said:

Jerm

I owned one for a short time too. I bought it before I got my first chameleon. Jerm summed it up quite well, although I am not concerned about heating the water... room temperature seems to suit everyone just fine here.

I think the real problem with the Habba Mister is that they can't get a decent pump into a compact mister without it costing a ton. The power on the pump is minimal, so they can't go with a finer misting head. And, the pump is really noisy. My biggest issues with it, though, were that it will only mist for one minute at a time and that it holds such a small amount of water. In the month or so that I used it, I adjusted to the noise of the pump, and the spray wasn't so bad that it was unusable. My chameleon actually liked it.. it just didn't spray long enough to do much good.

I sold mine on Ebay after I built a system.

Heika

Back
Top Bottom