misting...5 minutes, really?

Redeye

Everyone says 3-5 minutes of misting
If I mist for 3 minutes, my bottle will be empty, with a puddle on the floor
am I using too big of a sprayer? after like 3-5 SPRAYS the enclosure (20x20x36) is drenched, plant, lizards, all

what is everyone using to mist with??????

I've often wondered the same thing. That is why most people drill holes in the bottom of the cage to help with drainage. The main reason you mist this much is because we keep them in a screened in enclosure and they need the extra humidity. I usually mist them enough to where they can drink off the plants and if their humidity levels are lower I mist for a longer period. I also mist 6-8 times a day as opposed to other people misting 2-3 times a day.

If there is a puddle then you should really have a drainage system. I have a drain in the middle of my setup, that is connected to a piece of pvc, that drains off into a bucket. I use a a "Mist'r Lizard Jr." It works really well, it has a pressurized system, with a brass nozzle, and it holds about 16 ounces of water. You can find them at petsmart, petco, etc.

From what I've gathered on this subject, 5 minutes is a general rule of thumb. It can be less or it can be more. Some Chams need to feel the water hitting them for a few minutes before they will start to drink. It also ensures that newbs provide their Chams with enough water.

You'll get a feel for it with each individual Cham.

Please correct me guys if I'm wrong on my assumptions of this rule.

You want to mist long enough to stimulate the cham to drink. It is possible to just spray down the leaves and walk away without the cham becoming stimulated by the waterfall enough to start drinking; In this case the water will most likely dry up before the cham drinks. When I hand misted I would spray each cham until I saw them start to drink and leave them. Until I ended up with 8 plus chams... then I upgraded to the Misting System because it just saves a TON of time and effort.

Drainage is really a must if you haven't considered it yet... You do want to provide the proper amount of misting, while allowing the water to drain away, and not pool up at the bottom of the cage creating a mess.

I have my racks on 4 five min sessions throughout the day.

~Joe

Thats what I figured, but noticed quite a few ppl saying 5 minutes

I am obviously not misting till there is a puddle for numerous reasons (sickness caused by too high humidity, wood floors, wife killing me if I mess with her floors ect)
I mist long enough to get decent beading on all my plants, and as rocky does, I mist 6-8 times a day
I do watch to make sure they are drinking and when they start drinking, I sometimes mist a bit more

They are Babies so I am sticking with Newspaper changed every 3-4 days as a bottom substrate, atleast untill they are off pinner crickets

I mist for like 30 seconds each if the cages are inside, about 5-10minutes when outside. Inside, they all have dripper bottles for the water "stimulation" dropping on leaves.

Everyone says 3-5 minutes of misting
If I mist for 3 minutes, my bottle will be empty, with a puddle on the floor
am I using too big of a sprayer? after like 3-5 SPRAYS the enclosure (20x20x36) is drenched, plant, lizards, all

what is everyone using to mist with??????

It depends where you live. I keep my chams indoors, mist around 3 times a day with a spray bottle. each cage takes around 10 seconds to wet the plant and cham. I live in Washington state and do not require as much moister as other states.

You want to mist long enough to stimulate the cham to drink. It is possible to just spray down the leaves and walk away without the cham becoming stimulated by the waterfall enough to start drinking; In this case the water will most likely dry up before the cham drinks. When I hand misted I would spray each cham until I saw them start to drink and leave them. Until I ended up with 8 plus chams... then I upgraded to the Misting System because it just saves a TON of time and effort.

Drainage is really a must if you haven't considered it yet... You do want to provide the proper amount of misting, while allowing the water to drain away, and not pool up at the bottom of the cage creating a mess.

I have my racks on 4 five min sessions throughout the day.

~Joe

My veiled cham really hates when I mist, he will always run up to the farthest point in the cage and puff himself out. I use hot water and it comes out as a warmish mist. He drinks from his dripper (I assume) when I'm not there because his urates are white. I mostly just mist for humidity.

It's easier than that. Mist for a few seconds. Mist again. A few seconds of warm mist, here and there, over the same time period, will stimulate them to drink just as quickly as a continuous spray. My melleri will all start drinking very quickly now, as they have learned that the big yellow thing brings them water.

I read somewhere on here that you don't need to mist constantly for 5 minutes - like Eric said - mist a few pumps then wait then mist again, etc. That way the cage doesn't get completely swamped and the cham still gets stimulation to drink. Lily used to drink from a hamster bottle when I dripped it in front of her - more often after the heat lamp turned off but before the UV turned off - almost like a bedtime drink! I've started to try with a needleless syringe with Amy/Amos and sometimes s/he'll drink and sometimes not, but again it's usually just before or around lights out time.

thanks for this topic!

I was actually thinking about hand misting in the morning just to raise the humidity levels a little. I was worried though about over watering since this would be in conjuction with my habba mister going off every 3 hours.

in order to keep my guys hydrated, i do 4 10 minute sesions with a herpmist auto mister.

Back
Top Bottom