Mister Twister has a bit of the wobblies! HELP!

More Improvement

Spent the night up on his vine without falling! I have everything cushioned and blocked in so he can't get anywhere he can fall much more than just tipping over. His viv looks more like a laundry basket than his old home. But, he seems more content on his vine.

He still is not eating or drinking on his own. The only worms he is eating for the last few days is medicated wax worms. (One with pain med, one with Reptaid and one with some pedialyte.) I offer water to no avail and have his dripper tube set up again now.

But he is feistier too. He actually snapped at me when I was giving him one of the worms! He has never hissed at us or tried to bite before. All he would ever do is a kind of snort or huff. Attitude is way better than just laying there!

Attitude is definitely a good sign. Have you tried dripping water directly on his nose? I use a plastic eye dropper, a plastic needless syringe also works. You want to use plastic because there have been stories of chameleons getting excited and biting the dropper...obviously glass would be bad in that scenario.

I think the fact he spent the night in his favorite sleeping spot is a very good thing!

I've been offering him his water from his dripper hose lots. But ususally he just closes his eyes and turns away.

This am though, he finally drank water on his own!

Next, if he would eat on his own would be great. But I give him his meds in the wax worms and thats all the food he has been getting!

showimage.php
[/url][/IMG]

This is the little escapee working his way very slowly up onto his favorite vine...

It sounds like every day is a bit better. You do want to get him eating something other than wax worms. Can you get a hold of phoenix worms? That would be a little more well rounded as food and I believe you can inject the medication into them.

No phoenix worms. butterworms and silkworms are supposed to be on the way? I try tempting him with hobbled crickets and his favorite meal worms but, no go so far. Will pick up a few dubias. I heard I can inject them also? He doesn't even eat the waxies on his own. I am still force-feeding him. I would try skipping for a day or so but that is the only way to give him his pain med.

And, he pooped again this evening! Yeah--looked almost back to normal. Urates are white but sort of clayish.

Silkworms are great nutrition. Try him on those first.

You might talk to the vet about skipping a dose of the pain med to see a) if he really needs it and b) does that encourage him to eat the next day. You could always give him the meds a little later if it seems like he's bothered by not having them.

No phoenix worms. butterworms and silkworms are supposed to be on the way? I try tempting him with hobbled crickets and his favorite meal worms but, no go so far. Will pick up a few dubias. I heard I can inject them also? He doesn't even eat the waxies on his own. I am still force-feeding him. I would try skipping for a day or so but that is the only way to give him his pain med.

And, he pooped again this evening! Yeah--looked almost back to normal. Urates are white but sort of clayish.

You can order phenoix worms from mulberryfarms.com

great calcium source. no dusting required.
I really suggest you get some of these since it sounds like he cant really chase crickets yet.
however, just read your whole thread and glad hes getting better.

mulberrys out

You can order phenoix worms from mulberryfarms.com

great calcium source. no dusting required.
I really suggest you get some of these since it sounds like he cant really chase crickets yet.
however, just read your whole thread and glad hes getting better.
i just tried a bit ago there out. just google it there was so many sites out. guess theres a shortage.

i just tried a bit ago there out. just google it there was so many sites out. guess theres a shortage.

I just copied this from mulberryfarms website.
PHOENIX WORMS® are currently available in small size only; WE DO HAVE MEDIUM REPTIWORMS (same insect species for your pet's snacking & high calcium needs!) IN STOCK -- ORDER MEDIUM SIZE REPTIWORMS HERE (or above!)!!

only time I've ordered phoenix worms, they only had small and, boy did they mean small! Those worms were just a little bigger than the fruit fly larvae. So those got fed to the baby chams at the store...

Mister ate a wax worm on his own today! I also put it with some meal worms in his cup and left it where he could get it but he picked out the waxie. At least he ate on his own.

Tried filling the gut on a small cricket to give him his meds tonight but he was having no part of it and during trying to feed it to him, we squished all the meds out! lol. So, he didn't get cricket for dinner...

will get dubias tomorrow.

MULBERRYFARMS has medium reptiworms (pretty much the same thing as pheonix worms)
you should go order some.

am ordering stuff from Mulberry Farms payday... thanks for the suggestion.

Mister ate on his own today. Two medicated waxworms and 5 little mealworms. Refused the crickets and dubia. So nice not to have to force feed him! Now if he would just get back to drinking normally...

Oh well, I just can't believe the improvement he's making.

Thanks again to all--we wouldn't have come so far without all your help!

Better and Better (last update for this thread)

Well, finally some of you are probably saying!

Mister Twister is on the mend. More attitude than he ever used to have but I guess that is to be expected after what he is going through.

He is eating on his own but very picky about what he eats. Once all is well, I will try the skip a day then offer the other stuff when he is really hungry. Right now, he refuses anything but mealworms and waxworms and I know they aren't the best...

Drinking some. Usually has to be coaxed by dripping it on his nose. At least I'm not having to force it down him anymore.

He slept in his all time favorite spot last night and only slid down a little by this morning. Not to worry, the safety nets are still all over in his viv.

Still hates being wrapped up. He is getting around better and better and sometimes I think he would put less stress on that shoulder without the wrap? But the doc said 6-8 weeks. So, I guess Mister is gonna have to deal with it.

So, thanks for all the help and support. We wouldn't have made it without you.

(If you want more updates down the road, just message me...)

glad to hear he is on the mend!!! :)

I agree it is a great forum and all the people here with great knowledge have helped so many!!!

Yay! That's good news.

Please don't stop updating us. Even if you only give us updates once a week or longer, we do want to know.

Also, threads like this--where owners come for help and chameleons get better--are very valuable. They give us something to point others too when their chameleons are in distress. They let us prove that there's hope and it's worth the owner's time and money to pursue a solution.

Do not, for a moment, think you bothered us or took up our time when you came here for help.

This is why we come here: to try to help.

The reward we get is stories like this.

I am just so thankful for all the great help and am glad that this episode turned out so well. Mister may be a "poor doer" according to the doc but he is a tough one! I guess it just goes to show that you can do everything you can for them and things can still go wrong...

His latest stunt was trying to get out of his vet wrap. When I got home from work, he was just chillin' on his vine like nothing was going on but, he had his leg freed and the vet wrap was up around his neck! Thank goodness, it wasn't too tight.

Then, the fight was on. I got the wrap off okay but putting it back on his shoulder and upper leg was impossible. The leg/shoulder shows a little deformity but he uses it just as well as before, maybe even better. He was fighting getting that wrap put back on and I was so afraid it was gonna do more damage fighting with him trying to put it back on than he would do without it. So, I'll see how it goes...

I finally got him to eat a cricket too! And he is drinking out of his hose on his own again.

Im so glad hes doing better!
If he seemed ok without the wrap on, i would let him be, but keep an eye on him.
i wouldnt watn to fight him either on that one.
and so glag he ate a cricket!
im sure he will love the pheonix worms when you get them in.

Also, hornworms are great fro hydration.
my kids love them! eat them immediately.
I would just feed two small ones, or one big one a day though.

Back
Top Bottom