Mister as only source of water for drinking

suprdude

Avid Member
I'm finishing up the design for my custom enclosure for a panther and really want to keep it simple. Is there any reason why I can't have my Mistking go off for about 60 seconds several times a day for drinking, in lieu of a dripper? It's a very large enclosure with lots of plants and good drainage. One important note; the top of the enclosure is difficult to access so a driper would be hard to refill on a regular basis.

The only two reason I could think of is the raising humidity, during the heat of the day in the regard with the constant moist. And the most important is that the branches could stay wet and that could creature a problem for their feet.
Then it´s also depended if your chameleon licks the droplets of leaves or only drinks ´running´ water, all cham are different in that regard. If the last one is the case, it probably wont be able to drink within these 60 seconds, because before it gets triggered to drink, the mister is already stopped.

However, I know members (@Klyde O'Scope) that are successful with this approach and also with a panther, so it is possible.

I'm finishing up the design for my custom enclosure for a panther and really want to keep it simple. Is there any reason why I can't have my Mistking go off for about 60 seconds several times a day for drinking, in lieu of a dripper? It's a very large enclosure with lots of plants and good drainage. One important note; the top of the enclosure is difficult to access so a driper would be hard to refill on a regular basis.
IDK that you'd need several times during the day. I set mine up in 2 phases:
  1. Mist (via manual override) until water starts to run down the drain. (2 min.)
    This gets more than enough water on the plants without significant waste.
  2. Time how long it takes to dry out completely so as not to promote molds, etc. (2-3 hrs.)
Mist schedule:
6:00 am (lights on)
12:00 noon
6:00 pm (lights off)
9:00 pm
12:00 midnight
3:00 am

Notes:
6:00 am and noon supply drinking & eye wash water. By 6:00 pm, he's already in his sleeping spot; never seen him drink at/after lights off.
Nighttime misting provides enough humidity that I don't need a fogger. Temp never gets low enough to fog anyway.
Sometimes he hides from the mist; other times he seeks it out and revels in it.

The only two reason I could think of is the raising humidity, during the heat of the day in the regard with the constant moist. And the most important is that the branches could stay wet and that could creature a problem for their feet.
Then it´s also depended if your chameleon licks the droplets of leaves or only drinks ´running´ water, all cham are different in that regard. If the last one is the case, it probably wont be able to drink within these 60 seconds, because before it gets triggered to drink, the mister is already stopped.

However, I know members (@Klyde O'Scope) that are successful with this approach and also with a panther, so it is possible.
Thanks for the feedback. I will have fans running, so that may help with the humidity

IDK that you'd need several times during the day. I set mine up in 2 phases:
  1. Mist (via manual override) until water starts to run down the drain. (2 min.)
    This gets more than enough water on the plants without significant waste.
  2. Time how long it takes to dry out completely so as not to promote molds, etc. (2-3 hrs.)
Mist schedule:
6:00 am (lights on)
12:00 noon
6:00 pm (lights off)
9:00 pm
12:00 midnight
3:00 am

Notes:
6:00 am and noon supply drinking & eye wash water. By 6:00 pm, he's already in his sleeping spot; never seen him drink at/after lights off.
Nighttime misting provides enough humidity that I don't need a fogger. Temp never gets low enough to fog anyway.
Sometimes he hides from the mist; other times he seeks it out and revels in it.
I appreciate your comments. Sometimes less is more ;)

Back
Top Bottom