Mist King or Zoo Med Repti Fogger?

Hello everyone! :) I have a question and am also in need of some opinions.
Travis and I are going to Seattle this weekend for the Seattle Reptile Expo. Currently I have Razu (Ambilobe Panther Chameleon) in a 24x18x36 Exo Terra and I mist him myself through out the day to keep the humidity right. I thought it might be easier if I invested into a system that could keep the humidity up for me as well as keeping things from getting too hot! Travis has a Mist King and it's great, but we've been looking into the Zoo Med Repti Fogger a lot. I know the fogger would produce a cooler mist and that may be helpful. I can get a Mist King shipped to my house for $126 or, when we are in Seattle, we found a pet store that sells the fogger for $59.99 which is a little cheaper then it is in stores back home (Richmond/Vancouver area). Also the Exo Terra Monsoon is $99.99 at the Petsmart in the states as well, which we could also pick up as an option.
So my question is, which would be better? Any recommendations or opinions? Anything is helpful :)

Whoops!

Sorry everyone, Travis left his account open on my laptop and I thought I was on my account! This post was meant to be from me!! My bad! :p

Out of the 3 options you said, I would say the "mist king" is the best. Although you are also leaving out another very good option, the "aquazamp rain dome", which is even pricier than the mist king, but IMO also superior.

but of those original 3 you mentioned I would say the mist king (even your self you said you have had good experiences with it thus far)

hello there,

i had the reptifogger when i first got my panther, but then upgraded to the mistking i didnt have any problems with the fogger but i felt like if i didnt leave it running constantly the humidity would drop. with the mistking the cage never really loses humidity and uses less water imo i would spend the extra and get the mist king, also if i remember right i think the mistking can mist alot more then one cage if that helps.

also if i remember right i think the mistking can mist alot more then one cage if that helps.

yeah, that is true, forgot to mention that, if you already have a mist king (or aquazamp for those of you out there) then you can run multiple cages off of one pump, so long as they are reasonably close, you just need some more nozzles, Y splitter, and a few more feet of water tube/hose.

I have a couple chameleon cages running off of my 1 aquazamp pump, with multiple rain dome's

I have a monsoon that has been running for the last year flawlessly, for both my chams enclosures .The key to any mister is using r/o water.Just my 2 cents.

Out of the 3 options you said, I would say the "mist king" is the best. Although you are also leaving out another very good option, the "aquazamp rain dome", which is even pricier than the mist king, but IMO also superior.

but of those original 3 you mentioned I would say the mist king (even your self you said you have had good experiences with it thus far)
I will have to keep the AquaZamp rain dome in mind for the future. But thank you for your help! You make a good point :)

hello there,

i had the reptifogger when i first got my panther, but then upgraded to the mistking i didnt have any problems with the fogger but i felt like if i didnt leave it running constantly the humidity would drop. with the mistking the cage never really loses humidity and uses less water imo i would spend the extra and get the mist king, also if i remember right i think the mistking can mist alot more then one cage if that helps.
That is very useful to know, that if you didn't leave the fogger on the humidity would drop, so thank you! Another point for Mist King it seems! I did know that the mist king can mist more than one enclosure, which could be helpful in the future if I were to get another chameleon!

Also, I do have a coupon for $20 off the Exo Terra Monsoon!

I have a monsoon that has been running for the last year flawlessly, for both my chams enclosures .The key to any mister is using r/o water.Just my 2 cents.
That's really great to know! I haven't heard too much about the monsoon, and like I said above I do have a coupon for it! Thanks for your help!

ReptiGirl,

I do ship north of the border. If you are staying in seattle for the weekend I can ship to your hotel if you like and save you some shipping cost. It only takes about two days for 'ground' shipping to reach the seattle area I think.

Kevin Zamp

Mistking is best IMO. I have had 3 monsoons, all faulty. I have heard on here of people having success with monsoons but I think it's a hit or a miss.:)

Id only recommend a fogger if your local RH is extremely low, or if you are working with a montane species.

A misting system is far different, and far more useful.

Ive only heard good things about MK, and AZ, but have only used MK myself.

The raindome could be made from a spare tupperware, although Im sure the one sold by AZ is easier to setup, and have only heard good things about it.

I found MK's "rain nozzle thingy setup" to be unsatisfactory. It took up too much space, and did not provide the desired result.

I like to just have the nozzles hit a high-hanging plant in the enclosure.

The water drips off the plant creating a "rain" like effect, and the fine mist still gets thrown all over the enclosure.

I used so much lighting on top of the enclosures, there wasnt much room for a rain dome anyhow...

The aquazamp system has been working for me for years. I did have a Monsoon hooked up on a separate cage inside for a short period of time, but the timer never worked that well and it stopped working after I left it on too long one day.

Yeah, pretty much anything made by your "petsmart" brands like the monsoon or the Habba mist sucks. But yeah, if I were you, I'd get the aquazamp express misting system shipped to wherever you're staying.

Hey guys,
Just wanted to point out that she does have a price limit. I would have suggested the Aquazamp to her, however it's out of her price range. The Mist King is just on the boarder of being too expensive, which puts the monsoon (79.99USD) at a much better looking alternative. But ultimately it comes down to what she chooses, and obviously all of you suggesting the mist king might help persuade her to spend the extra dollars ;) I personally love my mist king.

I would continue to hand mist, until I had enough for a AZ/MK rather than waste money on something thats bound to fail, provide an undesired result, and just not get the job done.

I would continue to hand mist, until I had enough for a AZ/MK rather than waste money on something thats bound to fail, provide an undesired result, and just not get the job done.

If you really can't afford the aquazamp or mist king now, then I would have to agree with this.

Hello everyone! :) might be easier if I invested into a system that could keep the humidity up for me as well as keeping things from getting too hot! Travis has a Mist King and it's great, but we've been looking into the Zoo Med Repti Fogger a lot. I know the fogger would produce a cooler mist and that may be helpful.

If you are most concerned about maintaining the cage humidity rather than wetting the cage down for drinking, the fogger (a good quality fogger not necessarily this brand) would do that. However, if you are hoping for cage cooling, I don't think there will be much difference between a mister and fogger. Why? Because both will draw from a water source that has already stabilized at room temp. The warmer the room the warmer the source water. Unless you chill the water source below room temp you won't see significant cage cooling. Sure, when you push small droplets of water through the air it tends to cool off, but that's because of air movement and evaporation, not the misting itself.

Back
Top Bottom