Mist King or Zoo Med Repti Fogger?

I know you said you can't afford the AquaZamp but in all honesty if you save up a little more and stick with the hand misting for a bit longer, you should do that. Remember panthers live in a tropical climate and the captive temps are almost in the 90s for a basking spot and in the 80s for other areas of the cage. So it's probably not to hot for him . Unless you see him gaping a lot or frequently you shouldn't worry. You could also lower the wattage of the bulb you are using. I myself for veileds use a regular household bulb. I use a 75 watt. Also Kevin is very good with customers and is amazon with customer service so he will definitely work with you and work something out to help you achieve what you want. I love my premium raindome it works great and I don't have a single problem with it. I would recommend it to anyone

I would continue to hand mist, until I had enough for a AZ/MK rather than waste money on something thats bound to fail, provide an undesired result, and just not get the job done.

Yeah i would have to concur as well, if price is a concern (which it usually always is unfortunately lol) then I would just continue to do as is, and how you have been doing it thus far, until you fully have any funds you need to get the exact setup YOU WANT. Don't settle for something less than what you want just to be able to get it "right now". A few months from now when you have exactly what you wanted, all set up and working you will be glad.

Like I said earlier too, I am running Aquazamp Raindome's on all my chameleons enclosures, and they are so far beyond fantastic I couldn't imagine going back to not having them... unfortunately though, they are quite an investment :rolleyes:

My goodness! All of these suggestions have been so helpful. I really appreciate all of your opinions and everyone's different out look on what works for them, what has worked or hasn't! Now I'm kind of unsure! Obviously, and unfortunately we have clearly noted price is an issue ( :( LOL) But saving is always an option as well! I'm not even sure which one I am leaning towards anymore. I may just stick with hand misting for now, and save up money until I can afford an aqua zamp or a mist king! I was going to try and quote everyone's comments but there was just too many to keep up with. I just want to say thank you all again :D

If you are most concerned about maintaining the cage humidity rather than wetting the cage down for drinking, the fogger (a good quality fogger not necessarily this brand) would do that. However, if you are hoping for cage cooling, I don't think there will be much difference between a mister and fogger. Why? Because both will draw from a water source that has already stabilized at room temp. The warmer the room the warmer the source water. Unless you chill the water source below room temp you won't see significant cage cooling. Sure, when you push small droplets of water through the air it tends to cool off, but that's because of air movement and evaporation, not the misting itself.

Misting does cool the air in the cage. Misting is used in all sorts of applications to cool down a room or localized area. The term is generally 'evaporative cooling'. When my large free range mists, the room temp has to drop at least a couple of degrees because it is noticeable. Misting is what is cooling the air, misting is essentially atomizing the water which is how evaporative cooling works.

It is kinda funny though... some people like to mist with warm mist and do their best to try and heat the water only to have the function of misting cool that water down 10-15 degrees. To me, misting for a lot of chameleons is an irritation, it isn't how warm or cold (generally). A lot of animals will hide during the misting and then come out to drink after it has stopped. Not trying to plug AquaZamp...... but recreating rain via the RainDome is the only way I have seen chameleons intentionally go sit in the water to drink and clean their eyes. Personally I do not warm the water at all, whatever the ambient temp, is my water temp.

If I am trying to make fog, I use a ultrasonic type. They do burn up over time though. :(

I would continue to hand mist, until I had enough for a AZ/MK rather than waste money on something thats bound to fail, provide an undesired result, and just not get the job done.

Oh boy do I agree with this! nothing worse than spending money on something that fails and was nearly as much as something that will last for years.

Back
Top Bottom