Mist King Experience

So I just bought a mist king a few weeks ago and get this crap hhahaha. My chameleon, Gucci, does not like it!! At all hahah. He hides whenever it turns on, he goes to the very bottom of the cage and hides there until it is done going off. And the weird thing is that I have it go off like 6 times and day and he is still dehydrated. He was less dehydrated when he was misted by me with the spray bottle and the dripper. I still run the dripper in the morning and afternoon but it just surprises me that he is dehydrated even after I installed the mist king and such. My panther chameleon is a weirdo. :rolleyes:

I have similar situation. I turned the frequency down and increased duration. It makes her a little less pissed. Everyone seems to say they get used to it after a while. I am on week 3 and am seeing minor improvements. Its a step in the right direction i guess. Fyi i went from 5 four minute intervals to 3 seven minute ones. Also i give her an hour after lights on before first misting.

so i figure Ill move it to an hour after he wakes up then Idk bout frequency haha. I have it 6 times for 2 mins each. So do you think I should make it like longer time but less times a day?

My two cents here....

I believe that its a must that you have your cham "warm up" and bask for a bit before you set your mister to go off....at least wait 1 hr if not up to 1.5 hrs after the lights go on. I find that the animals is a lot more receptive to the misting. I also use a small warmer and set it at 80-83ish...this helps especially in the cooler months so that you dont shock your animal.

8am - Lights turn on
9:30 - mist for about 2-3 min
1:30 - mist for 2 min
5:30 mist for another 2 min
8-9pm - lights go off or about 2hrs after last misting

I have had no issues with this setup.

A lot of members say that it takes at least 5 minuets for the cham to go into drinking mode. 2 minuets IMO is to short. I think that may have something to do with the dehydration issue.
Do you have a drainage system in place for excess water?

so i figure Ill move it to an hour after he wakes up then Idk bout frequency haha. I have it 6 times for 2 mins each. So do you think I should make it like longer time but less times a day?

Yes, give 3 times a day for longer duration (5-6 min) and see what happens for a week. My advice, take it or leave it. Just make sure you are not flooding your enclosure.

Yea... I mist alot longer. I've set up cages with good drains, so flooding isn't an issue. My first mist is only a half hour after lights on. I've been thinking about pushing the time back but it's been working so far. I go for 20 min. I find it takes a bit before they get the idea but then they get into drinking. Then I mist again @ noon for another 10, 1:30 for 15, 4pm for 10 then 7pm for another 20. I go through alot of water but my chams drink almost every session. Some days I will just set it on "on" and mist till the res runs dry... maybe refill and go through it twice, simulating a rainy day. Cheers!

It took my chameleons about a month to get used to the Mist King. In the morning after the lights go on (30 minutes) my first misting cycle kicks in and all are sitting there waiting and drink right away.

The cycle I have is, on for 2 minutes every 2.5 hours from 11:30 to 10:30 (my light cycle is 11 am to 11 pm).

My two cents here....

I believe that its a must that you have your cham "warm up" and bask for a bit before you set your mister to go off....at least wait 1 hr if not up to 1.5 hrs after the lights go on. I find that the animals is a lot more receptive to the misting. I also use a small warmer and set it at 80-83ish...this helps especially in the cooler months so that you dont shock your animal.

8am - Lights turn on
9:30 - mist for about 2-3 min
1:30 - mist for 2 min
5:30 mist for another 2 min
8-9pm - lights go off or about 2hrs after last misting

I have had no issues with this setup.

i use a fishtank heater as well..noticed that the violent head shaking at first started changing to a more relaxed metal music shake..:D

A couple of thoughts regarding a fish tank heater.
Do not let the water level fall below the minimum for the heater. Could just burn out, or worse start a fire.
Also, don't add water rapidly to a low level reservoir, this could cause a heated heater to shatter.
just my $.02

So how old is your chameleon? I have had my mistking for almost a year now. some of my chams like it and some dont. But they all drink while its on, or the ones that dont like it just after it goes off And my humidity level is at70-80% most of the time

lol i have my chams outside all the time

i use the good ol hose outside and the cages are under a nice big canopy for shade:p

i actually hit the roof of the canopy and it rains or "mists" on the cages.....no drowning or mess, the floor is dirt and grass:p

So my chameleon is about five months old now... I am going to move the first misting time to an hour after he wakes up and I'm going to have it go off a little longer... I already had a heater under the bucket to keep water warm.... He drinks though now just started drinking it the other day when it was going off which is cool.... He has gotten so big in the past two months I can't believe how much he has grown..... But yea I'll definitely change the times and such. I also bring him outside and use the hose when I have time or when I'm cleaning his cage. He really likes that alot. But I know ita good thing to have my mist king now bc I can leave for a weekend and he will be taken care of so definitely a relief. Thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom