Mist at night?

He is a veiled. His Mistking goes off every three hours for 5 minutes and once at 1:00pm for 10 minutes. I have it set to go off at 7pm and 8pm so he can get a quick drink before bed but I will probably change that unneeded 8pm one to go off sometime during the night.

That is still a lot of water for a Veiled. I would recommend cutting back on the water. Your Veiled you are treating like he is a montane species when actually they are a desert species. I would go with two good waterings a day.

That is still a lot of water for a Veiled. I would recommend cutting back on the water. Your Veiled you are treating like he is a montane species when actually they are a desert species. I would go with two good waterings a day.
oh I have been told a few good mistings a day and to let the cage dry out in between.

How much water is "just right" for them?
As long as the humidity in the cage isn't too high, does it really matter how much water they have access to?

(Edit) This was in reference to the comment of too much water for a veiled. I don't think they should have access to water during the night. More than anything because if the cage is wet all night, when the temps in the house drop, it'll never dry and it'll just create mold everywhere, I'm sure.

Last edited:
I would think misting at night when it's cooler could lead to a cold or uri like it could in humans. Fires occur in nature but i doubt you'd want to replacate that in your home.

I never mist after 4 or 4:30 in the summer.......in the winter not after 3 or 3:30. I think his cage should be dry by the time he goes to bed. It should also dry out between each misting. Male veileds shed in sections.......Luie's shedding somewhere just about all the time. It's normal.

I never mist after 4 or 4:30 in the summer.......in the winter not after 3 or 3:30. I think his cage should be dry by the time he goes to bed. It should also dry out between each misting. Male veileds shed in sections.......Luie's shedding somewhere just about all the time. It's normal.

Okay thanks. I will turn off his PM misting and I guess I can scratch the night misting for the time being, but it may be beneficial in the winter when the air is super dry. I do let his cage dry out between mistings also.

veileds are not desert species nor are they montane
they live in semi-humid forests of yemen

you still dont want to over-mist him because you
can cause a respritory infection with constant humidity

I'm sorry I missed this thread last night as I was working with our dear friend Laurie on sexing the baby quads....

What I'm about to say is for my quads ONLY, and not my panthers.

I run a room humidifier 24 hours a day (due to the AC being on at all hours), I also run a humidifier that directly showers the cages with mist twice a day for 1 hour.
This humidifier also runs twice at NIGHT for 60 seconds to keep the humidity above 70.
On most nights this is all I need to provide a healthy environment for my quads.

There have been some nights that the humidity has been quite bad and I have misted at night.
If done it is just a light 1 min misting to help keep the humidity above 70%.
Regardless of what some people think, there is nothing wrong with what I'm doing.

Of course I mist at least 3 times a day, but if needed I have no problem with misting at night.
It always depends on what is going on with the weather outside, and I will do what it takes to keep my babies healthy.

As for the fear of cages not drying out...if they weren't drying out, there would be no reason to mist at night. ;)

As for your veiled, as long as the RH doesn't drop below 40% you can skip the hand spraying at night before you goto bed.

Harry

veileds are not desert species nor are they montane they live in semi-humid forests of yemen
you still dont want to over-mist him because you
can cause a respritory infection with constant humidity

and foot fungus (from constantly damp branches)

No need to water at night unless your home is exceptionally dry - in which case you should invest in a humidifier for your home (for your own benefit as much as for the chameleon)

veileds are not desert species nor are they montane
they live in semi-humid forests of yemen

Yemen is a desert country, the areas where you can find Veileds are pocket areas that have got more moisture than the surrounding areas however still fall into a desert habitat. The areas they are found in are similar Oasis areas where temperatures can still reach well over 100 F.

Back
Top Bottom