Mist at night?

So I was thinking, in the wild it doesn't just rain during the day. would it be beneficial maybe to have it "rain" once or twice at night? I know for a fact it wouldn't wake him up but it would keep the humidity changing during the night as well and that may be good. Any thoughts? and before anyone goes saying it will wake him up trust me, NOTHING can wake this cham up once he's out. When he's out, he's down for the count. Even minor handling doesn't faze him, nor my landlord blasting his base on the other side of the wall :mad:...

He also has a constant shedding problem so maybe it would help him in the long run? He seems to be shedding constantly piece by piece. Once he's finished his rotation of body, head, feet, tail he goes right back to it.

Why? Why? Why? Remember that not all things that happen in nature are advantageous. If you mist adequately in the daytime this is not necessary.

Why? Why? Why? Remember that not all things that happen in nature are advantageous. If you mist adequately in the daytime this is not necessary.

When I mist at night it is minimally, however I think it calms and relaxes them by their reactions compared to when they are misted vs to not being misted at night see for yourself. Plus extra humidity at night helps keep some species (montane species) well hydrated.

I would only set it to go off once for a few minutes. My timer only does six settings anyway. Why not? I will try it and see if it helps him in any way. I don't believe it would negatively affect him so it's worth a shot.

Would it be safe to assume your house is air conditioned?

Yes it is and he is in my bedroom which is where it is. He was in the livingroom before where the air conditioning did not really reach so maybe this is why he has his shedding problem but who knows.

I would only set it to go off once for a few minutes. My timer only does six settings anyway. Why not? I will try it and see if it helps him in any way. I don't believe it would negatively affect him so it's worth a shot.

I mist occasionally at night not every night go ahead and see what you think though.

He is a veiled. His Mistking goes off every three hours for 5 minutes and once at 1:00pm for 10 minutes. I have it set to go off at 7pm and 8pm so he can get a quick drink before bed but I will probably change that unneeded 8pm one to go off sometime during the night.

He is a veiled. His Mistking goes off every three hours for 5 minutes and once at 1:00pm for 10 minutes. I have it set to go off at 7pm and 8pm so he can get a quick drink before bed but I will probably change that unneeded 8pm one to go off sometime during the night.

I would not over water a Vield chameleon they are a desert species and are more adapted to a dry climate than a moist humid climate. If you want to water him at night I would go once every three to four days (or nights) or more to keep the conditions as close to what a vield is adapt to. You just may want to spray him every once and a while and not worry about turning on your mist king to water him at night.:rolleyes:

I would not over water a Vield chameleon they are a desert species and are more adapted to a dry climate than a moist humid climate. If you want to water him at night I would go once every three to four days (or nights) or more to keep the conditions as close to what a vield is adapt to. You just may want to spray him every once and a while and not worry about turning on your mist king to water him at night.:rolleyes:

Okay. I can set it to go off maybe twice a week at night just for some variety. I wanted to mist him a bit more because he has been having these shedding problems so I wanted to see if it would help. He has only had the auto mister for a couple days so I will give him a couple weeks and if he improves I will cut back on mistings to every 4 hours.

Some adults seem to always be shedding. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Pan is at that age where he seems to always have some shed on him. :) As long as it all comes off eventually it's okay.

Okay. I can set it to go off maybe twice a week at night just for some variety. I wanted to mist him a bit more because he has been having these shedding problems so I wanted to see if it would help. He has only had the auto mister for a couple days so I will give him a couple weeks and if he improves I will cut back on mistings to every 4 hours.

What kind of shedding problem? I have a female veiled and it's her first shed in a while but it isn't coming off completely. It has been about 2 weeks now. Would increasing the mistings help or perhaps a shower?

That actually sounds more like a lighting and nutrition/mineral problem.

That actually sounds more like a lighting and nutrition/mineral problem.

Maybe, except some days when I was working all day he would only get misted once because my boyfriend :mad: would forget to mist him during the day. I have the same supplement schedule as JannB and he has a reptisun 10.0 linear tube UVB that was about a foot and a half from his basking spot, AND he gets to go outside a couple times a week.

Back
Top Bottom