Missing outer layer of skin!

ChamelaChameleon

Chameleon Enthusiast
An clue or advice regarding this spot on Carmelo's skin. This spot was there at adoption The Vet, during our initial visit, stated it was nothing. It had a scab which the Vet removed (over 4 weeks ago). The spot seems to be getting bigger. Help! The #2 spot look like leather that's peeling.

Attachments

• 20221130_160723.jpg
    20221130_160723.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 20221130_160723.jpg
    20221130_160723.jpg
    351.2 KB · Views: 40
This pic is from our Vet visit.
Do you have pics of what it looked like to begin with?
Yes. See the pics below. The ones without the numbers. Carmelo is adopted from an Animal Shelter. They had no background information. Someone brought him to the shelter stating they found him crossing the street.

Attachments

• 20221103_092106.jpg
    20221103_092106.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 20221103_092106.jpg
    20221103_092106.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 36
I just found these pics on Chameleon Academy.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221201_151133_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221201_151133_Chrome.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 33
  • Screenshot_20221201_151147_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221201_151147_Chrome.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 33
I don't think so...it's an odd place for a burn.
I'm not sure what it is and I'm not a vet and don't want to steer you wrong.

On second thought, it's not getting bigger. I will make an appointment with the Vet. It shows no signs of infection. Maybe it's a healed wound? He also had a few black spots on his back. The old Vet called it yeast and scrapped them off. They did not return. I'm being curious. I will take Carmie to the Vet for a second check up. I don't feel the 1st Vet is Cham knowledgeable. Carmie appears healthy, has good color, appetite, movement, and eye rotation. He loves crickets and hornedworms. He hates Dubias-i love dubias- a little gur loading and they live for a long time.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221110_174531_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221110_174531_Gallery.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 33
  • 20221027_144606.jpg
    20221027_144606.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 34
With wounds and burns, chams take a long time toa regenerate skin, but they do. It may go all white and very slowly with each molt color will appear to grow on the white. It just takes a very long time. As long as there is no raw skin, i think you should let nature do its thing. Being wild, it could have bern caused by so many things, attack from an animal, a fall etc...

So the vet mentioned yeast but didn't think it needed treatment?
Yes. He also told me Carmelo is a female. I made a lay bin and started worrying about the egg laying process. I found this forum trying to verify the Vet's finding that my Cham is female. Turns out I have a male. So, he did say there were a few yeast spots and offered no treatment.

With wounds and burns, chams take a long time toa regenerate skin, but they do. It may go all white and very slowly with each molt color will appear to grow on the white. It just takes a very long time. As long as there is no raw skin, i think you should let nature do its thing. Being wild, it could have bern caused by so many things, attack from an animal, a fall etc...
Thanks. It actually looks fine. I will allow nature to repair the skin.

"Both yeast and fungi belong to the kingdom Fungi"...
https://pediaa.com/difference-between-yeast-and-fungi/

Since yeast is a fungi, I would think it needs to be treated.
I think I need a Cham knowledgeable Vet. When I look at pictures of a Cham with yeast it looks nothing like what was on Charmelo. Carmelo was shedding and it looked like burned shed. Next week, Im taking him to a more knowledgeable Vet for a basic check up. I will discuss skin issue.

I do not think it is a burn. Just because of the location. More likely an injury. But seems weird to me that they removed it but did not give any medicine topical or oral to help heal it. I am not a vet but that would make sense to me with a wound.

Regardless damage to their skin takes time to heal. It may never shed properly and the color will never be the same there.

going to throw a spanner in the works here, you can choose to ignore this, my veiled was burned a couple weeks back in some odd locations as well as her legs and we worked out her basking light/ fixture had sparked which burnt her. I’m just saying maybe don’t rule it out as being a burn but I’m not an expert

I do not think it is a burn. Just because of the location. More likely an injury. But seems weird to me that they removed it but did not give any medicine topical or oral to help heal it. I am not a vet but that would make sense to me with a wound.

Regardless damage to their skin takes time to heal. It may never shed properly and the color will never be the same there.
Thanks. I do feel like it was a wound. It appears healed but one edge appears as if it's detaching from the skin. I will let you know the results after our visit with the Vet.

IMHO- You might not be a Vet but you guys are Chameleon Whisperers. I have gained a ton of knowledge and received life saving advice here. You guys are my go to for help/advice/education. I go to my Vet for hands on exams/ fecal testing/medication.😉

Back
Top Bottom