Microscope for Fecals

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JacksJill, Nov 14, 2017.

1. JacksJill

JacksJill Chameleon Enthusiast

Those of you that run your own fecals what are you using for a microscope? Any recommendations?
    There are so many for sale on the internet but I think most are for kids looking at prepared slides or horticulturists looking for crystals. I don't want to spend a ton just for the basics but I do want to be able to spot giardia.

2. distortionz

distortionz Avid Member

dshuld likes this.
  3. JacksJill

That looks good with a decent price. Thanks

4. jannb

jannb Chameleon Enthusiast

5. NickTide

NickTide Member

How strong do you need? I use this $12 toy (eyeclops) at home and in my class room. I never used it for anything too technical but it has allowed me to share science with kids that aren't capable of using a regular microscope.

https://www.amazon.com/Eyeclops-093...=UTF8&qid=1510688767&sr=8-1&keywords=eyeclops

To give you an idea, on a penny where it says, "in God we trust" the "G" takes up the entire TV screen.

JacksJill likes this.
  6. JacksJill

@NickTide thanks but I'm looking for much smaller than that, 400X magnification, with a mechanical stage that holds the slides so you can read the entire slide in a grid pattern.
    @jannb Thats what I'm looking for. I read fecals and did quite a bit of other lab work professionally for many years. My friend recently sold her vet practice and now I need to buy my own microscope so I can still run my own. It's amazing how you can buy anything on amazon, fecal solution, slides, stains and fecal containers the works.
    I don't think I need an oil immersion lens as I don't plan on doing any cytology but if it's not much more expensive then maybe I'd get it just incase .

distortionz and jannb like this.