Microscope for Fecals

JacksJill

Website Manager
Staff member
Those of you that run your own fecals what are you using for a microscope? Any recommendations?
There are so many for sale on the internet but I think most are for kids looking at prepared slides or horticulturists looking for crystals. I don't want to spend a ton just for the basics but I do want to be able to spot giardia.

@NickTide thanks but I'm looking for much smaller than that, 400X magnification, with a mechanical stage that holds the slides so you can read the entire slide in a grid pattern.
@jannb Thats what I'm looking for. I read fecals and did quite a bit of other lab work professionally for many years. My friend recently sold her vet practice and now I need to buy my own microscope so I can still run my own. It's amazing how you can buy anything on amazon, fecal solution, slides, stains and fecal containers the works.
I don't think I need an oil immersion lens as I don't plan on doing any cytology but if it's not much more expensive then maybe I'd get it just incase .

I ended up breaking my budget and got this one. I'll let you know how it works out.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-01-25 at 2.35.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-25 at 2.35.43 PM.png
    156.7 KB · Views: 126
Well here are some of the images I was able to capture. I added in the magnification afterwards. I haven't mastered the measuring and labeling yet.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-04-03 at 3.01.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-03 at 3.01.39 PM.png
    433.3 KB · Views: 126
Those of you that run your own fecals what are you using for a microscope? Any recommendations?
There are so many for sale on the internet but I think most are for kids looking at prepared slides or horticulturists looking for crystals. I don't want to spend a ton just for the basics but I do want to be able to spot giardia.
Anything above 400x magnification to see single celled parasites and many more. I study biology in my spare time so if you need any help feel free to ask. Im almost always active on the forums and reply asap.

Do you know how to treat giardia and other parasites?

Thanks. I read fecals professionally for years. I'm pretty happy with this scope.
Do you know how to treat giardia and other parasites?
Yes and no I worked mainly with horses and small animals including an exotic practice. I still rely on my veterinarian for prescriptions and dosages. I do discuss forum members experiences with him when selecting medications.

Thanks. I read fecals professionally for years. I'm pretty happy with this scope.

Yes and no I worked mainly with horses and small animals including an exotic practice. I still rely on my veterinarian for prescriptions and dosages. I do discuss forum members experiences with him when selecting medications.
The weakest form of fenbendazole possible and follow the weight requirements. I think you can use oxfendazole too but i have never needed to use it on any reptile. Only on my puppy. Check with your vet if you ever want to use oxfen. It might help with hookworms but i dont know if reptiles get them.

I have the meds. I have been vacillating over whether to treat or not. The counts were and have remained very low and my chameleon seems as healthy as an ox. Good appetite, very active, and perfect poop with no sign of mucous etc.
I have been advised by two board certified vets my vet consulted that low numbers of these parasites, coccidia are commensal and pinworms are normal and don't require treatment in adults without symptoms.
However my other chameleons don't have them and I plan to breed them and they are contagious. So I have ponazuril for the coccidia and fenbendazol for the pins. As much as I don't like doing something medically unnecessary I can't be the person who sells chameleons with coccidia.

I have the meds. I have been vacillating over whether to treat or not. The counts were and have remained very low and my chameleon seems as healthy as an ox. Good appetite, very active, and perfect poop with no sign of mucous etc.
I have been advised by two board certified vets my vet consulted that low numbers of these parasites, coccidia are commensal and pinworms are normal and don't require treatment in adults without symptoms.
However my other chameleons don't have them and I plan to breed them and they are contagious. So I have ponazuril for the coccidia and fenbendazol for the pins. As much as I don't like doing something medically unnecessary I can't be the person who sells chameleons with coccidia.
Too right. The healthier the happier. Very interesting how the parasites dont effect the chameleon. Mabye a symbiotic relationship sort of thing? Too bad you cant analyse the dna to see if there is some sort of genetic change to make them non hostile. From what i know nearly all parasites live off the host. Basically the defenition of parasite. If you have any more info about this i would love to know about it.

I think as long as their immune system keeps them in check they reach a balance. That must be why they haven't gotten out of control. If my parasite free chams weren't doing as well I wouldn't treat but clearly they can survive without them.
I know some herbivorous reptiles are reported to actually need flagellates as part of their normal flora or biome.

I think as long as their immune system keeps them in check they reach a balance. That must be why they haven't gotten out of control. If my parasite free chams weren't doing as well I wouldn't treat but clearly they can survive without them.
I know some herbivorous reptiles are reported to actually need flagellates as part of their normal flora or biome.
I think the antibodies control the antigens from the parasite but the phagocytes do nothing. If the count gets higher and signs show medicate as the immune system can do only do so much(not saying you already wont medicate).

The interaction between parasite and host is fascinating. Many parasites are able to hide themselves from the hosts immune system and wait for signals to erupt. Like your puppy if you had run a fecal on the mother she would have had nothing in her fecal but once she was pregnant roundworm larva migrated into the puppies so they were born with roundworms waiting to grow to adulthood.

The interaction between parasite and host is fascinating. Many parasites are able to hide themselves from the hosts immune system and wait for signals to erupt. Like your puppy if you had run a fecal on the mother she would have had nothing in her fecal but once she was pregnant roundworm larva migrated into the puppies so they were born with roundworms waiting to grow to adulthood.
Cysts migrate through blood right?

Back
Top Bottom