Metronidazole?

peridot

Previous thread: https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/veiled-not-eating.168396/#post-1466790

Problem: Cucumber stopped eating about a month ago. I took him into the vet about 4 days into him not eating. They tested his fecal and did bloodwork. His fecal came back negative for parasites and his bloodwork came back with perfect levels. The vet honestly has no idea why he’s not eating. They gave him a b12 injection and prescribed Carnivore Care. I’ve been force feeding him Carnivore Care every other day. The vet called a few days ago and told me to try to ween him off of it. He hasn’t has anything since last Thursday and is still refusing to eat on his own. He’s not lethargic and moving all around. He’s very happy when I put him on his free roam tree. The only change would be the mister, that we installed back in February. I’ve also spotted him eating dirt a few times.
I also ordered silk worms in hopes that might peek his interest, but nothing.

My vet now wants to try metronidazole. Does anyone have any experience with this drug and chams? She explained that it can often make them want to eat. He had his first dosage last Friday. I'll give him his second this Friday.

• Your Chameleon - Male Veiled chameleon, had since August of last year.
  • Handling - Daily, he hates being in his cage and scratches to get out every day. When I open his door he immediately runs over and climbs onto me.
  • Feeding - Crickets, Super Worms, Coachs, Wax Worms, horn worms when available. I gutload all my bugs with dandelion, mustard greens, sweat potato and repashy.
  • Supplements - Repti Calcium Without D3, Repti Calcium with D3 and Herptivite multivitamin. Use Calcium without D3 daily, with d3 once a week. Use multivitamin several times a month.
  • Watering - I have a misting system that goes off twice in the morning and once in the afternoon. It runs for 2 minutes each time.
  • Fecal Description - He's been tested for parasites and it came back negative.
  • History - Purchased from PetSmart.
  • Cage Type - Reptibreeze screen cage, size large.
  • Lighting - 70w basking bulb , Reptisun 10.0 HO UVB Bulb
  • Temperature - Has one side with a basking light on. The other is his cool side. The tank stays about 85-90 in the basking side
  • What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp: 70 degrees. Our thermostat is set to never go lower then this.
  • Humidity - His mister goes off several times a day and it’s very humid after. His humidity stays around 50 precent during his "dry" period.
  • Plants - Umbrella plant, Dracaena fragrans 'Jade Jewel
  • Placement - He is located in my office in front of a window.
  • Location - North Carolina

Last edited:
Metronidazole is the generic form of the brand name drug Flagyl, which is used to treat bacterial infections .
I used it for my discus before with Hole in the head disease (hexamita)
In human treatment
Vaginal metronidazole gel is also used to treat bacterial infections of the vagina,but will not treat a vaginal yeast infection!!
If really depends on your vet.maybe he/she thinks some type of bacterial infection that causing ur cham not wanting to eat!

We used metronidazole quite often in the vet clinics I worked in for when dogs had diarrhea. It was widely used for that purpose.

bacterial infections can happen on all type of speice... when my old discus fish stop eating because the hole in the head after few dose and water change, it went back to the normal eating routine....so I can imagine on the dog's diarrhea will do the tricks too.....
As far with the bacterial infections of the vagina,I dont have one so I cant really speak for the effectiveness of the Metronidazole.

Back
Top Bottom