Mesh and ubv

reptilemancan

people say that mesh cages dont let as muh ubv through, so would you need 10.o ubv to even it out?

i no aluminum cages are much better but i cant find any in the uk, if anone lives in the uk and got a aluminum cages could you tell me where you gvot it form...cheers:)

Depends what mesh it is! If it's flexi mesh, then it'll cut out upto 60%. Aluminium mesh is a lot less, down to between 30 - 40% (these are rough figures and you can better meshes and stuff) As long as you use a reflector you'll be ok. Go here to have a look at levels of UV produced and stuff: www.uvguide.co.uk There's tests and pictures and all sorts!

I don't know of many aluminium screen cages in the UK and they're all very expensive, but I know lots of people who use this guys: http://www.crislis.co.uk/thatcher/index.php They're quite costly, but they're very nice and worth it! If you're willing to wait there's also this guy: http://www.captivebredreptileforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=19562 who's going to start building these properly for general release around the end of June.

Hope that helps!

Depends what mesh it is! If it's flexi mesh, then it'll cut out upto 60%. Aluminium mesh is a lot less, down to between 30 - 40% (these are rough figures and you can better meshes and stuff) As long as you use a reflector you'll be ok. Go here to have a look at levels of UV produced and stuff: www.uvguide.co.uk There's tests and pictures and all sorts!

I don't know of many aluminium screen cages in the UK and they're all very expensive, but I know lots of people who use this guys: http://www.crislis.co.uk/thatcher/index.php They're quite costly, but they're very nice and worth it! If you're willing to wait there's also this guy: http://www.captivebredreptileforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=19562 who's going to start building these properly for general release around the end of June.

Hope that helps!

sheesh they are exspensive! but they look great so they are proberbly worth it! thanks, anyone else know any other sites?

I do use a 10 on this flexarium now for that reason. I dont have a UV meter but I suspect the flexarium mesh cuts a fair bit out. Not a major concern for me because I live in a climate where I can take him (and all my reptiles) outside most everyday, year round.

I do use a 10 on this flexarium now for that reason. I dont have a UV meter but I suspect the flexarium mesh cuts a fair bit out. Not a major concern for me because I live in a climate where I can take him (and all my reptiles) outside most everyday, year round.

ok cool i will only beable to do that in the summer lol:D

sheesh they are exspensive! but they look great so they are proberbly worth it! thanks, anyone else know any other sites?

Sadly they're the best you're going to do it the uk (other than building one yourself, which is what I'm going to do!)! You can buy and import them yourself from the states for a little cheaper (for one), but if you buy quite a few, the costs are much better!

Sadly they're the best you're going to do it the uk (other than building one yourself, which is what I'm going to do!)! You can buy and import them yourself from the states for a little cheaper (for one), but if you buy quite a few, the costs are much better!

yes well thanks anyway guys i may consider building one then,:( i suck i D.I.Y lol

On another thread, someone was mentioning that a cham can get too much UVB and that the reptariums were good in that instance.

So for clarrifacation: You can use a 5.0 with reflector or you can use a 10.0 without a reflector or do you need a 10.00 with a reflector? :confused:

Someone just gave me three of these cages and that is why I want to know.

Thanks

On another thread, someone was mentioning that a cham can get too much UVB and that the reptariums were good in that instance.

So for clarrifacation: You can use a 5.0 with reflector or you can use a 10.0 without a reflector or do you need a 10.00 with a reflector? :confused:

Thanks

use a 5.0 with reflector. that should be fine:D

Thanks

How big are your cages and how close can the chameleon get to the bulb and how far off the top is your basking site?

Back
Top Bottom