Mellers

Melma

I just bought a pair of Mellers Chameleon at a reptile show this morning. I have had a jackson chameleon before but i have no experience with this species.
I bought the pair with the cages and the lights, but as i was researching I found out that they need MUCH bigger cages. How big should I go?

another question, i payed 300 for the pair and the cages, was this a good deal?

Oh and, the male has been moving around a lot, while the female is just basking, why is this?

I added some pictures, i hope they work.

You need to scroll down when you add a posting to the place where it says manage pictures or attachments or something like that. That is where you add pictures.

Please post them if you can.

Those cages are WAY too small. and you shouldnt have substrate, you need more plants, no offense its just all wrong

thats how they were sold to me.

I guess I have to work on the cages ASAP and i just bought two hibiscus flower to put in the cages while i work on their new cages.

With everything that was included I think you paid a fair price.
However,
The enclosures are much too small and I'm wondering how the seller (with any confidence) was guaranteeing you purchased a male and female.
Were they surgically sexed?
Time to start your research:

http://www.melleridiscovery.com/index.html

and ... time to figure out some new accommodations for them.
You have taken on a huge husbandry project.

-Brad

Zoo med basking bulbs, the box claims it provides UVA rays.

I dont know much about this, but what is a free range cage? I think it would be best for me to turn most of my room into one of these, considering the size of these chameleons.

UVB lights are one of the most important things your chameleons are going to need. Did the seller not tell you that? And NO compacts like Brad said. And let me emphasize that if these guys are WC you will need fecals. Mellers, especially WC, are a tricky cham to contend with.

Zoo med basking bulbs, the box claims it provides UVA rays.

I dont know much about this, but what is a free range cage? I think it would be best for me to turn most of my room into one of these, considering the size of these chameleons.

You need UVB, not just UVA. I recommend the reptisun 5.0 UVB tubes.

There is great info on this in the links I provided.

-Brad

hey guys, thanks for the help.
I spent the whole day yesterday building my free range cage. It has become the whole room and it is filled with nice trees and branches and the necessary lighting. I also have a nice window in the room that can be opened under my supervision just to let in some natural sunlight from time to time(i live in Miami so this wont make the room temp. drop).

I just have some worries. The "female" is doing great, she has spent the whole morning basking in a branch. She was the one i introduced first at 8am. Her colors are great with no black spots indicating stress, just a nice shade of baby blue and a darker color on her basking side. But the male is making me worry. He is all over the place, in a dark-green color, and full of dark spots. He is walking around the plastic in the bottom and once i found him walking around the room. Its only been three hours since i put them in the new free range cage so i guess he is just getting used to it. Can this be why he is moving around so much?

Putting up the lighting was a pain in the ass because i had everything setup and then i could not get to the center of the ceiling to screw in and setup the lights. They have three lamps hanging from the roof, two of them provide light and heat, and one of them provides just heat. I will go out today and buy the UVB lights I saw at Petsmart, but i need to know if its better to buy the whole settup at petsmart or if i should buy the light tubes at petsmart and the lamps at Home Depot?

My main problem right now is getting them settled in and feeding. It seems so big that if i put a cup with crickets in the middle of it all do you think they will see it? I also have some unused space that i have to use by bringing in some branches. It is still not done but it is way better than the two screen cages they were in. Ill post more pics when they settle in.

Back
Top Bottom